The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Refuses to waive NTC

JustNazzy

Meh. I couldn't care less about this Portzline guy's "report" on Twitter, since I think his "very good source" is likely his own @$$. I can't think of any good reason that a beat reporter for a Columbus newspaper would have information that everybody else in the hockey world just happened to miss...

+1... He said if they want to deal him, he'd be willing to comply. and Bob MacKenzie already said that these rumours are just that. He's never said no to Toronto and he's never been asked to provide a list of teams yet even. I trust Bob over any rando CBJ reporter.

It's not his fault. Sportsnet said it's an option. Hell, even Bob McKenzie said this...

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

"End of day, Luongo has to make sure he doesn't end up in CHI...with AHL Wolves. Right now, tho, FLA and TOR think VAN asking price too high."

As stupid as it sounds, it is an option. I can't see it happening but I have seen so many stupid things go on in the NHL, nothing surprises me anymore.

We all know how Luongo starts the season, it's the same way every year. It takes him a good month to get going. What happens if Luongo stays here and has a bad month?

mob5.jpg

http://bit.ly/MlN42u

"The least you can say about Monday’s report concerning Roberto Luongo’s preferred destination isit passes the smell test.

As for a more rigorous test of its veracity, sorry. This is the age of Twitter. When information is passed along in 140­character missives there are bound to be holes. And this item left a few questions unanswered.

“There are a lot of stories out there,” said Luongo’s agent Gilles Lupien. “That’s why I don’t pick up the phone. I don’t want to create any new ones.”

No, that will fall to others. But the latest report did create a fresh talking point to this tired story and, in this market, that development can’t be ignored.

On Monday, Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Post-Dispatch tweeted that Luongo, to this point, had declined to waive his no-trade clause to the Blackhawks or Leafs and was using that clause to steer a trade toward the Panthers.

This, naturally, inspired a flood of stories from the various theorists who inhabit cyberspace and, in short order, the story had morphed from Luongo trying to influence a deal to Luongo rejecting a trade to Leafs (the headline on Slam Sports’ website).

We can’t say much for certain about this saga. But we can say that is categorically false."

Kypreos jumping the gun like his Eastern colleagues - suggesting the Canucks could waive Luongo and bury him in the AHL = fail.

The Wade Redden comparisons are weak - Redden had 2 goals and a dozen assists in 75 games before being sent down to the AHL - those numbers are worse than Bouwmeester's! Luongo's performance is not the issue - the speculation is politics, not information.

Update: Lebrun on 1040: Florida's ownership has cleared Tallon to take on Luongo's salary but he speculates that Gillis will need to take a bad contract.

Not really anything earth shattering but it does confirm that Florida does indeed intend to try to acquire Luongo. To this point, I believed Florida was simply entertaining trade possibilities with Vancouver but when you ask your owner for permission to acquire Luongo and his contract, it means you're serious about it.

Toronto was the most likely destination for Luongo but Florida is quickly becoming an equally as likely destination, if not more likely, based on Gillis' and Tallon's relationship and the quality of return the Canucks could get from Florida vs from Toronto.

Update: Lebrun on 1040: Florida's ownership has cleared Tallon to take on Luongo's salary but he speculates that Gillis will need to take a bad contract.

Not really anything earth shattering but it does confirm that Florida does indeed intend to try to acquire Luongo. To this point, I believed Florida was simply entertaining trade possibilities with Vancouver but when you ask your owner for permission to acquire Luongo and his contract, it means you're serious about it.

Toronto was the most likely destination for Luongo but Florida is quickly becoming an equally as likely destination, if not more likely, based on Gillis' and Tallon's relationship and the quality of return the Canucks could get from Florida vs from Toronto.

lots of people are acting like even if this is true Luongo is being a jerk here. He has a no trade clause! There are reasons why those are put into contracts.... If Luongo agrees to any trade that is more than he is required to do. If he even agrees to be traded to one team then that is at least better than nothing. You cant just sign a guy to a no trade clause and then get angry at him when he wont just waive it for any team.

Archived