The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bure best Canuck ever?

cmpunk

Frankly i am so sick of people talking about his "community" involvement. First of all he came here with a cold welcoming from the management, so what is up with that?

Second, he was english as a second language and that is not the easiest cultural thing to over come.

Third, Keenen did not treat him well, and didn't know how to coach that kind of skill.

I am just so sick of the booo hooo hoooers about his "community involvement" since when do any of you know about community involvement? are you volunteering at the soup kitchens? are you helping to fight homelessness in vancouver? really give me a break. Bure never hurt anyone, he wasn't a mean player... why so strong about his "community involvement? He's an athlete, he's not supposed to be the dalai lama.

Flame away.

I starting watching when Orr was a rookie so I'm no spring chicken myself. I think you guys that want his number retired are confusing talent with franchise. Or maybe you're just desperate to have more things hanging from the rafters.

Nobody is doubting Bure's talent. The real question is did he do enough for this franchise to warrant retiring his number. What he did elsewhere is irrelevant. Mogilny was a great talent and played five seasons here. Messier is a legend and played three seasons here. Should we retire their numbers? Even had Bure not left the way he did I'm not sold seven seasons here is enough to warrant his number being retired without something significant like a cup or two. Where do you draw the line on retiring numbers? It is after all the highest honor the team can give. I just don't see how Bure has earned it.

Is that a serious question?

So far those who agree with Bure deserving his jersey retired:

Pat Quinn

Marc Crawford

Cliff Ronning

Jeff Courtnall

B-Mac

Taylor

Other players and fans who actually watched him play.

edit: almost forgot Jim Robson

Against:

You and a couple of other hosers on a Canuck message board.

It figures we go 40 years and finally have someone who more than deserves to have his jersey retired, and there's always someone that just can't accept the one brush with greatness we had in our midst.

Just have to agree to disagree I guess.

" But he (Bure)wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

Bure has what he deserves." Baggins

Of course,congratulations are in order.

He is the only true Canuck to have made the HHoF.

I agree,I doubt that anybody will be sending you a note thanking you,Baggins.

I hope he never comes back here to suffer the likes of troglodytes that want to denigrate our only HHoF Canuck with a ' Bure Bobble Head Day' as his congratulations and honor.

http://www.hockey-re...b/burepa01.html

Pavel led the league in goals scored-three times.

He created more goals in a single season than any other player-twice.

He has also led the NHL in:

Even Strength goals

Power play goals

Short handed goals 2X

Game winning goals

Shots 4X

Goals per game 4X

Adjusted goals 3X

Adjusted goals created 2X

Offensive point shares

<p>

" But he (Bure)wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

Bure has what he deserves." Baggins

<p>

Of course,congratulations are in order.

He is the only true Canuck to have made the HHoF.

I agree,I doubt that anybody will be sending you a note thanking you,Baggins.

I hope he never comes back here to suffer the likes of  troglodytes that want to denigrate our only  HHoF Canuck  with a ' Bure Bobble Head Day' as his congratulations and honor.

Pavel led the league in goals scored-three times.

He created more goals in a single season than any other player-twice.

He has also led the NHL in:

Even Strength goals

Power play goals

Short handed goals 2X

Game winning goals

Shots 4X

Goals per game 4X

Adjusted goals 3X

Adjusted goals created 2X

Offensive point shares

I don't care about the community involvement at all.

In terms of skill he is obviously the best, but he didn't play enough games here to be the best Canuck. That's all about dedication and loyalty to a team, and while it's not always his fault, Bure just didn't play enough games in a Canucks sweater to be considered the best.

In my mind the Sedins will go down in history as the greatest Canucks ever. They will probably finish 1-2 in Canuck scoring next season before the new year and their skill can compete with Bure's. As dynamic as Bure's goal scoring prowess was, the Sedins matched him in terms of All Star skill (very similar All-Star nominations and participation), and the twins were the ones who won back to back Art Ross trophies which is similar to Bure's Rocket Richard trophies.

I don't care about the community involvement at all.

In terms of skill he is obviously the best, but he didn't play enough games here to be the best Canuck. That's all about dedication and loyalty to a team, and while it's not always his fault, Bure just didn't play enough games in a Canucks sweater to be considered the best.

In my mind the Sedins will go down in history as the greatest Canucks ever. They will probably finish 1-2 in Canuck scoring next season before the new year and their skill can compete with Bure's. As dynamic as Bure's goal scoring prowess was, the Sedins matched him in terms of All Star skill (very similar All-Star nominations and participation), and the twins were the ones who won back to back Art Ross trophies which is similar to Bure's Rocket Richard trophies.

Archived