The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks Provide the Best Fit for UFA Justin Schultz

Velleman

I agree wholeheartedly that the Canucks are the best "hockey" option for Schultz for the thesis presented in the article. Throw in sentimental factors, and it strengthens Canucks case.

The one thing that no one has discussed is the MG factor. That is, Gillis being a past Player Agent probably understands a players' needs much better than the likes of Tambellini, Murray, Burke, et. al. and their entourages. At the end of the day, I think this attribute that MG possesses is under-rated.

So, add the MG factor to first two points, and I like our chances.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Canucks are the best "hockey" option for Schultz for the thesis presented in the article. Throw in sentimental factors, and it strengthens Canucks case.

The one thing that no one has discussed is the MG factor. That is, Gillis being a past Player Agent probably understands a players' needs much better than the likes of Tambellini, Murray, Burke, et. al. and their entourages. At the end of the day, I think this attribute that MG possesses is under-rated.

So, add the MG factor to first two points, and I like our chances.

While there are some interesting ideas in there, its not a particularly well-written article. Just some statements put together without much in the way of facts.

Add to that this is clearly your blog since your last three threads have been links to the Canucks101 site, and I'm not going to go out and get my Schultz jersey stitched up.

Let me put it more succinctly than your "article" did.

Canucks:

- can't guarantee icetime if he doesn't perform and he'll have to prove he's capable of a spot

- if he does have what it takes, he could easily be 1st unit PP with Edler, if not also 5 on 5

- definite home field advantage

Oilers:

- can give him top billing on D right off the bat, no questions asked

- with top billing comes the spotlight and if he doesn't step it up, he's got nowhere to hide

- lots of young stars but not yet a performing team, could end up with too many stars with too much salary within a few years

Ottawa:

- Can certainly use him but Karlsson gets top billing, definitely ice time to be had though

- a team on the edge, can they contend once the Alfredsson era ends or do they slump

- in Canada, which is a preference, but not close to home

In the end, Schultz is no guarantee to supplant Edler any more than he is Karlsson. Edler's a bit older, but Schultz would still have to wait sometime to become 'the guy' in Vancouver. He can certainly be one of those guys, and he'll be given a chance to dvelop alongside established stars and good supporting players, but he'll still have to earn it. He's at least familiar with our market and media, so if he hasn't already been scared off, he won't be now.

Stop trying to pass off your personal blog as an 'article' you found. If it's a personal blog, that's fine, just say so, but then people won't think it's some professional sportswriter (although they should be able to pick that up from the writing).

While there are some interesting ideas in there, its not a particularly well-written article. Just some statements put together without much in the way of facts.

Add to that this is clearly your blog since your last three threads have been links to the Canucks101 site, and I'm not going to go out and get my Schultz jersey stitched up.

Let me put it more succinctly than your "article" did.

Canucks:

- can't guarantee icetime if he doesn't perform and he'll have to prove he's capable of a spot

- if he does have what it takes, he could easily be 1st unit PP with Edler, if not also 5 on 5

- definite home field advantage

Oilers:

- can give him top billing on D right off the bat, no questions asked

- with top billing comes the spotlight and if he doesn't step it up, he's got nowhere to hide

- lots of young stars but not yet a performing team, could end up with too many stars with too much salary within a few years

Ottawa:

- Can certainly use him but Karlsson gets top billing, definitely ice time to be had though

- a team on the edge, can they contend once the Alfredsson era ends or do they slump

- in Canada, which is a preference, but not close to home

In the end, Schultz is no guarantee to supplant Edler any more than he is Karlsson. Edler's a bit older, but Schultz would still have to wait sometime to become 'the guy' in Vancouver. He can certainly be one of those guys, and he'll be given a chance to dvelop alongside established stars and good supporting players, but he'll still have to earn it. He's at least familiar with our market and media, so if he hasn't already been scared off, he won't be now.

Stop trying to pass off your personal blog as an 'article' you found. If it's a personal blog, that's fine, just say so, but then people won't think it's some professional sportswriter (although they should be able to pick that up from the writing).

I can clearly see the Schultz name on a Canucks jersey.

Plus I just asked my dog about it. He looked up and thought about it for a second or two, mouthed his usual yes sound, put his head back down, and thumped the carpet with his tail like a dozen times, So...

:bigblush:

Gretzky ...... "you're going to love it in Edmonton kid, it's a great city"

Schultz ...... "So why don't you live there?"

Gretzky ....... "Hey, I got to go, nice chatting with you"

Coffey ...... "I loved my time in Edmonton"

Schultz ..... "So why did you demand they trade you out of there?"

Coffey ...... "Sorry kid, Kevin Lowe put me up to this. Best of luck in Vancouver"

I still dont buy that the coilers are gonna be a good team next year. Yes they are loaded with tonnes of young talent but that doesn't guarantee them a playoff spot or success. No doubt they have some good years a head but nothings guaranteed. I hope he signs with van but as long as he doesn't sign with TOML then i'm fine with where ever he signs, in fact I hope Luo doesn't go to TOML either. Can't stand them

Krueger as coach?

Edmonton is a joke. Tambellini has mismanaged this team into the dirt and gets a cotract extension?

Vancouver has the far superior organization top to bottom.

Edmonton is freezing in the winter and black flies carry babies away in the summer.

He's from Kelowna. Moving down the road to Vancouver and playing for the Canucks has probably been his dream since he started to skate.

All things being equal, I believe he goes to his favourite team, the one his parents have season's tickets for.

How's the conversation going in the Schultz' kitchen? You think their not salivating over this dream scenario?

"No pressure, son. But come on, It's the CANUCKS!"

Just thought I'd let you know that Brian Burke was a player agent before joining the Canucks in a management position. Tambellini, Murray and several other GM were also players at one time in their career so they should know what player needs are. In my mind, I believe Schultz has already made up his mind long time ago, hence not signing with Anaheim. All these other possible teams on who to play for is just a smoke screen. The "MG Factor" is an non-issue in this case.

I like some of the points the article mentions, that being said this kid should not be guaranteed ice time by any reputable organization. He has yet to play a game in the NHL, and terribad teams like the Oilers are willing to give him top minutes, if only because they can afford to lose.

I'll agree with another point mentioned earlier, that Tambellini has mismanaged the hell out of that organization. Horcoff at 6 mil Hemsky at 5 mil, overpayment in a few years time might be a deciding factor for Schultz. Reputable management however, not even existent in Edmonton, see what they did to their last free agent defenseman Sheldon Souray.

Oilers? No thanks.

Archived