Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How would you feel about: A Markus Naslund comeback?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#31 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

I still wonder if he has that amazing wrister... I'll be honest when he was in his prime, he had the best wrister in the NHL.. hands down, the accuracy, speed, simply sublime.. and then he injured his wrist, well I'm pretty sure it's healed now so maybe he can make a return to the NHL and Canucks specifically... I'm dreaming and hoping for a return.. or at least players we have right now that can form the new West Coast Express. I think Kassian can substitute as Bertuzzi, just a thought. Don't know who Morrison and Naslund can be... thoughts?

Edited by Spencer Drew, 02 July 2012 - 01:10 AM.

Posted Image

#32 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Given the circumstances of his departure from the Canucks and from the NHL, I don't think that's at all plausible. He'll be 40 years old next year remember, and I doubt he's been playing much hockey back in Sweden. I think he's a bit of a Christian zealot and so he can keep himself occupied by evangelizing the rest of his life.

After the highly illegal Steve Moore hit, his career just kind of died a slow death.

Yeah if only that hit didn't happen... and then the Bertuzzi incident wouldn't have happened... :(
Posted Image

#33 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

He is failing badly tho. Modo have been really, really bad ever since he became their GM.

I dunno, if you look at the SEL standings in the two years he's been GM, Modo's actually improved under him. They were in last place when he was hired midway through the 2010-11 season. Though they still finished last that year, the following season, Modo made the playoffs. Just might have a knack for it.

To address the OP, I support Naslund to an admitted fault, so while it's probably the worst idea I've heard in a while, I'm for it! Wonder what the logistics of playing and managing in two different leagues would look like...

Edited by bure's triple deke, 02 July 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#34 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

I think his number is still available.

#35 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

I still wonder if he has that amazing wrister... I'll be honest when he was in his prime, he had the best wrister in the NHL.. hands down, the accuracy, speed, simply sublime.. and then he injured his wrist, well I'm pretty sure it's healed now so maybe he can make a return to the NHL and Canucks specifically... I'm dreaming and hoping for a return.. or at least players we have right now that can form the new West Coast Express. I think Kassian can substitute as Bertuzzi, just a thought. Don't know who Morrison and Naslund can be... thoughts?

Don't think he ever injured his wrist. There was a knee injury in his breakout year, then the concussion. On the Moore hit, supposedly he also hyperextended his elbow, but that was pretty minor.

#36 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Don't think he ever injured his wrist. There was a knee injury in his breakout year, then the concussion. On the Moore hit, supposedly he also hyperextended his elbow, but that was pretty minor.

Yeah but his wrist shot was never the same!!! He didn't have the same power on the shot, or didn't take the chances, there were even news articles about it bro, I noticed, I forget which season it was, maybe 2004/2005, but it was definitely noticeable...
Posted Image

#37 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

Yeah but his wrist shot was never the same!!! He didn't have the same power on the shot, or didn't take the chances, there were even news articles about it bro, I noticed, I forget which season it was, maybe 2004/2005, but it was definitely noticeable...

Oh, no doubt. I think after a while defenders also began to take that shot away, especially along the half-boards on the powerplay. But you're definitely right, either the accuracy, force, or a combination of both took a pretty big drop after the lockout. When he was in his prime though, his wrister was the best in the league, hands down.

#38 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

I dunno, if you look at the SEL standings in the two years he's been GM, Modo's actually improved under him. They were in last place when he was hired midway through the 2010-11 season. Though they still finished last that year, the following season, Modo made the playoffs. Just might have a knack for it.

To address the OP, I support Naslund to an admitted fault, so while it's probably the worst idea I've heard in a while, I'm for it! Wonder what the logistics of playing and managing in two different leagues would look like...

Modo have got a great team. I don't think that he'd be their GM today if it wasn't for his name.

#39 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

<p>

I admit, I'm a little bit drunk right now, but I was thinking that if we fail to sign Doan, or another top six forward this offseason, we'd indeed have a real hole in our top six.

Then I thought to myself, what if, (in the event that we're forced to go into the season with Raymond occupying a top six spot) we coax Naslund out of retirement for one year. Surely, even though he hasn't played for two years, Markus would still be a marked improvement over Raymond on Kesler's wing.

Say Markus was willing to sign a one year deal for $1.5 - 2 million...I'd do it.

Hope everyone had a great Canada Day :)

Markus can comeback to watch a game anytime. He's alway welcome. Other than that...no.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#40 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Modo have got a great team. I don't think that he'd be their GM today if it wasn't for his name.

He did play an entire season with them for free when they were struggling and needed to attract fans to their rink. He has done a lot for his hometown and completely deserves to be their team's GM.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 July 2012 - 03:46 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#41 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Geez, can't a guy reminisce about one of his favourite players and make wishful, albeit absurd, comments during Canada day? Besides, I think he'd still be more effective than Raymond even at this stage of his life...provided that he's in shape of course. And it's not like he'd be an ass and take the C from Hank like that other guy way back when. There'd be no pressure on him to perform like a superstar either.

I think he'd still be able to put up 20-25 goals and 45-50 points playing on the second line with powerplay minutes.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#42 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'd rather we bring back Harold Druken please.

#43 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Double post

Edited by HaggisOBrien, 02 July 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#44 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

He did play an entire season with them for free when they were struggling and needed to attract fans to their rink. He has done a lot for his hometown and completely deserves to be their team's GM.

Yes, I never said he didn't, what I said was that if he wouldn't still be the GM if his name wasn't "Markus Näslund".

#45 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

How come whenever someone says they're drunk they have better grammar than like 90% of the other posters.

Cuz the 90% are really, really drunk, or stoned, or worse, they have a permanent affliction - stupidity.

#46 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

keep drinking til you pass out and stay away from the computer

#47 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

I admit, I'm a little bit drunk right now, but I was thinking that if we fail to sign Doan, or another top six forward this offseason, we'd indeed have a real hole in our top six.

Then I thought to myself, what if, (in the event that we're forced to go into the season with Raymond occupying a top six spot) we coax Naslund out of retirement for one year. Surely, even though he hasn't played for two years, Markus would still be a marked improvement over Raymond on Kesler's wing.

Say Markus was willing to sign a one year deal for $1.5 - 2 million...I'd do it.

Hope everyone had a great Canada Day :)

I am most impressed at your typing... but as for your topic i have one answer for you

#48 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

No let's bring back Bure. I am sure he loves Vancouver and will play at a discount.

#49 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

love the Nazzy

those were some great nights to watch hockey!!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.