The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Suter offered 13 year deal by detroit

The only problem I see is how the cap is calculated. The cap hit should be what the player is actually paid. The issue with these contracts is the fact the players seem to be paid far less than the NHL's average salary in the last years of the deal. I bet Suter will be paid huge amounts up front.

This is no better than the old system because how can a small market team compete when a Detroit will pay a guy 20 mil signing bonus and 90 mil over 13 yrs with 75% of it most likely paid within 8 years.

The NHL needs to look at the NFL, cap hit is what the player is being paid, signing bonus can not exceed 25% of the contract but can be spread out over the length.

Suter is not worth the elite money he's being offered IMO but as markets go he's worth what someone is willing to pay.

This tarnishes Ken Holland IMO, so much for their drafting & farm system! This is back to the old ways, buy yourself the team.

Lidstrom's retirement certainly didn't come out of the blue, they should have been grooming a guy to take his spot years ago.

Just imagine if Nashville had Detroit's money.

I think Suter deserves 6.5 million. Hes a quality defenseman. He has earned the right to be a UFA and I respect his desire to explore all his options. He has a chance to sign a long term contract before the new CBA outlaws them (if they do).

There is always risk. Suter could get injured and/or have his play drop. But it also could pan out. He is signed long term and as the cap rises, his contract starts to look better and there would be no worry about walking out free as a UFA.

I hope its a compromise. I hope he gets 7 mil for 6 years so he can still go out and get one more contract. .

Everyone praised MG for signing Lu to a multi-year contract to get his cap hit down and now they complain about these long term contracts.

The league messed up bigtime with this loophole.

The league should of had a 6 year max contract limit at the last CBA with a ' you cant extend the contract until it reaches 2/3 of it or something similar. ( This would stop teams extending contracts just to get round the cap. )

Everyone praised MG for signing Lu to a multi-year contract to get his cap hit down and now they complain about these long term contracts.

The league messed up bigtime with this loophole.

The league should of had a 6 year max contract limit at the last CBA with a ' you cant extend the contract until it reaches 2/3 of it or something similar. ( This would stop teams extending contracts just to get round the cap. )

Archived