Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dale Weise files for salary arbitration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#91 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

lmao.

Seriously. He was pretty good for us, and he was just a waiver pickup. I imagine he'll be awarded in the area of 800k and I don't think that's unreasonable. He's not a bad part of the 4th line.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#92 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have no problem at all with Weise going to arbitration - nothing wrong with asking an independent third party to help resolve an issue - but the problem for Weise is that this is not a binding process, and it is probably a mistake to make this move at this point in his career. What he lacks is leverage to do this - when it comes to the guys he was competing with - Volpatti, Pinnizotto, Mancari, Bitz, Duco, Oreskovich (and righ now, every other UFA on the market) he does not stand out - to say the least - and nothing in particular about his game does - he has pretty much average fourth line qualities across the board, and certainly no more upside than that. He is 23 but he will never be Chris Neil. I like Weise, but honestly, the other guys on that list who have re-signed did so on a two-way deal. He was already better positioned than any other depth guy, having been qualified (to a one way deal, which if I were GM, I probably wouldn't have). He was taken off waivers to play on a contender - he probably just got himself back on the UFA market - he may make more money elsewhere and good for him if he does (who knows what his personal financial situation is), but with Garrison just signing leaving money on the table (yes I know there is a big difference between 4.6 and 700k), Burrows making less than half his value, the entire blueline below market value, the Sedins... well you know what I am getting at. Risky career move by Weise/agent.

#93 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Weise is not a goon. He is a very young and productive 4th line player who tries to stand up for his tea mates when he can.

Geez CDC, name a 4th liner that you actually like who isn't an agitator or goon.

Nice reading comprehension bro...
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#94 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have no problem at all with Weise going to arbitration - nothing wrong with asking an independent third party to help resolve an issue - but the problem for Weise is that this is not a binding process, and it is probably a mistake to make this move at this point in his career. What he lacks is leverage to do this - when it comes to the guys he was competing with - Volpatti, Pinnizotto, Mancari, Bitz, Duco, Oreskovich (and righ now, every other UFA on the market) he does not stand out - to say the least - and nothing in particular about his game does - he has pretty much average fourth line qualities across the board, and certainly no more upside than that.

I definitely think Weise stands out more than all of those guys except for maybe Bitz. There is a reason Weise spent most of the year as a Canuck and Mancari spent most of it with the Wolves, and it's not just waiver eligibility. He's 23, a great checker and perfect for 12th or 13th forward on our team and he does have some marginal offensive upside, certainly much more than Volpatti. He's not going to score much (though he can produce good numbers at the AHL level) but he makes good decisions with the puck and knows where to go when he doesn't have it. He's got smarts, good size, and great work ethic. Gillis also tried to get him before and was very pleased to get him on waivers, and the arbitrator isn't going to award him a whole lot, so I think there is almost no chance we walk away from him.

I like him a lot on Lapierre's wing. Not as much as Kassian but I think there is a place for him.

Edited by Buttock, 07 July 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#95 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yeah Weise was good. That line needs some consistency somehow ... as do they all.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#96 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Pinizzotto will beat this guy out of a wing spot, and Volpatti will push for the other. These two are extremely hungry, especially Pinizzotto.

#97 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

This forum :rolleyes:

#98 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,005 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yea, BUckFoston isn't gonna come back after this. You know, all the ownage and such.

#99 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

We need someone who can fight. Weise can't. Really missing Rick Rypien, such an entertaining 4th liner...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.