The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality

Heretic

"Matthew Vines speaks on the theological debate regarding the Bible and the role of gay Christians in the church. Delivered at College Hill United Methodist Church in Wichita, Kansas on March 8, 2012."

What an amazing young man.

This is over an hour and everyone should watch this.

Christ is the basis of the new covenant.

Leviticus prohibits many things - none of which apply to Christians...

We are not subject to the "old law".

Christians need to throw out the "traditional interpretations" of the Bible.

Edit: Please watch the video before replying...

Edit 2: Here's his blog: http://matthewvines.tumblr.com/

The summary is this - the "traditional" interpretations of the Bible should not be applied.

That is, God's will is for everyone to be with someone - and if you believe in God, then you wouldn't want to go against God's will would you?

Christians should passionately and tenaciously embrace Gay Christians.

We should do the same to everyone.

Mathew Vines, a gay Christian, made me cry today...and that was a good thing.

Mathew Vines bears good fruit.

As parents...we have to let our children go once they reach a certain level of development...What if god has simply let us go? Let us as the human race figure things out for ourselves?

Tough love?

I think a lot of us are surface scanning the topic right now. As a loving parent...you have to let your children go out and figure life out on their own...So who is to say that we aren't in such a process?

I'm not hugely religious...I believe in a higher power...but not so much base that on scriptures, with every belief nailed to a line here or there. Just playing devil's advocate to some of the "if there was a god, this wouldn't happen" etc.

As parents...we have to let our children go once they reach a certain level of development...What if god has simply let us go? Let us as the human race figure things out for ourselves?

Tough love?

I think a lot of us are surface scanning the topic right now. As a loving parent...you have to let your children go out and figure life out on their own

Tough love?

I think a lot of us are surface scanning the topic right now. As a loving parent...you have to let your children go out and figure life out on their own...So who is to say that we aren't in such a process?

I'm not hugely religious...I believe in a higher power...but not so much base that on scriptures, with every belief nailed to a line here or there. Just playing devil's advocate to some of the "if there was a god, this wouldn't happen" etc.

The supposed repercussions of non-believers is extraordinarily and unnecessarily harsh given the "loving" "free will" story also told, which is a serious logic flaw people who made up this story overlooked.

Humans have already been left to fend for themselves, people decided rather than deal with the harsh realities of the world as it is, and to leave a question mark for things they can't explain, to instead collectively believe fiction in various forms.. for whatever reason.

What if god is being a human for the last ten thousand years? What if god is in front of you, invisible, going "I'm not touching you" with his finger in your face? What if what if what if nobody cared what delusional minds think?

The "word" (i.e. interpretations of Biblical text) is like Chinese whispers, it's been passed down, transliterated at least twice, re-translated, and re-interpreted, guaranteed it looks nothing in text like it's original, and likewise interpreted nothing like how it was originally.

The fact that people still believe this, and even add their own flavours of which rules they can disregard on a whim, yet at the same time how divine they are, pretty much shows how personalised and subjective, not objective, not accurate, this text and it's interpreters both really are.

My answer is "I don't know" if there really is a creator out of all of this, synonymous with "I haven't a clue".. but one thing I do know, and can easily verify given the tangibility of the Bible and it's interpretations.. is.. the Christian (and it's many denominations) text and it's interpretations are so flawed it's insulting for someone to suggest to me this is anything resembling truth, even more that these highly erroneous, highly prejudice type texts and furthermore interpretations should control the lives of other people as has been done throughout history.

I wholeheartedly agree. Furthermore, that's one of the reasons I mostly try to stay out of these threads. Seems like everyone's personalized opinion is ALWAYS right even to the point of being rude and insulting for no reason but being scared of another view or perspective.

It's unfortunate that these churches still command power over so many people. It's a shame. I hear and see people copying passages from the bible that could have been changed, adapted, or perverted for power gains many of times. It's silly.

It isn't however something that lessens my own faith of a higher power. It confuses the hell out of me in my trying to rationalize it all..as, there is nothing out there you can really believe...but no, it doesn't make me an atheist. That I suppose was my point here. The fallacy of religion doesn't have to equal atheism.

Just sayin ;)

Religious people have excuses for everything. Not answers, just excuses. My favorite is when they use " God works in mysterious ways" to explain off horrible events.

Christians go to church and live their lives in the belief that god is actively playing a hands on role in each of their lives. If they live according to the Bible and pray often, god will take care of them. If that's true, how can they explain horrible tragedies that befall them?

I'll never forget a story a few years back of a mudslide that wiped out a church full of Christians. Many men. women and children died.

Why would their loving god allow that to happen?

Religious people have excuses for everything. Not answers, just excuses. My favorite is when they use " God works in mysterious ways" to explain off horrible events.

Christians go to church and live their lives in the belief that god is actively playing a hands on role in each of their lives. If they live according to the Bible and pray often, god will take care of them. If that's true, how can they explain horrible tragedies that befall them?

I'll never forget a story a few years back of a mudslide that wiped out a church full of Christians. Many men. women and children died.

Why would their loving god allow that to happen?

Archived