Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Children’s OxyContin Trial Underway

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#91 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

This may well be the case, however, I wasn't commenting on the story itself, rather the level of vitriol directed at BB for what I considered to be a fairly innocuous post.

I see...so you have an off-topic issue with the off-topic reactions towards an off-topic response. Fair enough! :emot-parrot:

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#92 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I see...so you have an off-topic issue with the off-topic reactions towards an off-topic response. Fair enough! :emot-parrot:

Well, this is an off-topic forum :bigblush:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#93 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

For every report I can find saying it's not a gateway drug, I can find one saying it is. Back in the day at school, you're always taught that it is proceeded by videos and lectures of harder drugs and how they mess you up; perhaps just a scare tactic- then again don't believe everything you hear. But based on experience (a stupid sibling, people I know of that went on to harder things), I would say that it can be.

I call bull.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#94 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Well, this is an off-topic forum :bigblush:

Well then...open the floodgates!!! :frantic:

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#95 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

While I would be hesitant to seek medical advice on medication and painkiller recommendations from individuals on a board like this; Tramadol is considered an opioid narcotic that is similar to codeine yet weaker. It is a Schedule F prescription drug in Canada but is not considered a 'Controlled Substance' (though some nations and US states have given Tramadol this classification).

But for a twisted ankle I would say try to tough it out unless the pain becomes unbearable. Always better not to put that kind of stuff into your body if you can do without it.

Thank you I appreciate it.
Posted Image

#96 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, I don't really like it when people discuss something they don't really know nothing about. Unless Bertuzzi Babe has an MD, or PharmD or has taken some pharmacology courses and has worked in the big pharma, she shouldn't be misleading other people. There are other alternatives to treat pain other than taking narcotic-analgesic such as oxycodone.

I'm a pharmacy student at UBC who's working on rolling out OxyNEO (the new "less potential for abuse" oxycontin) for VIHA this summer. I'm not an expert yet, but I can tell you that everyone who is attacking Bertuzzi Babe is missing the point entirely. And I'm seeing a few familiar faces from the anti-vaccination thread so that doesn't really surprise me.

Pain management is one of the most complicated areas of medicine right now, and it's doubly difficult in young children. Adding any proven medications to our arsenal could be a big help. And oxycodone is never going to be a 1st line treatment. It's for cases where other, less problematic medications, aren't working. And I can guarantee that if oxycodone becomes indicated for analgesia in children it's going to be very tightly regulated. Nobody is going to be handing out bottles of oxy to kids.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#97 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Any narcotic or intoxicating substance when used recreationally or abused (be it alcohol, marijuana or pills) can have the potential to be a gateway drug, to something harder and stronger. I believe that illicit drugs (including minors consuming alcohol) carry far more risk in this regard since one must enter the 'gateway' into an illegal and unlawful realm.

Correct sir. But recent research has proven certain people more SUSCEPTIBLE to drug addiction--which would make sniffing glue just as risky to a certain type of person as smoking weed or drinking booze.

Any drug can be the gateway to drug abuse, depending on who you are and what genes you have in you.

#98 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

I call bull.

That's fine.
Posted Image

#99 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm a pharmacy student at UBC who's working on rolling out OxyNEO (the new "less potential for abuse" oxycontin) for VIHA this summer. I'm not an expert yet, but I can tell you that everyone who is attacking Bertuzzi Babe is missing the point entirely. And I'm seeing a few familiar faces from the anti-vaccination thread so that doesn't really surprise me.

Pain management is one of the most complicated areas of medicine right now, and it's doubly difficult in young children. Adding any proven medications to our arsenal could be a big help. And oxycodone is never going to be a 1st line treatment. It's for cases where other, less problematic medications, aren't working. And I can guarantee that if oxycodone becomes indicated for analgesia in children it's going to be very tightly regulated. Nobody is going to be handing out bottles of oxy to kids.

Also equally not surprising is that again the entire point of the thread has been ignored (this story has zero to do with helping children or pain management) so that pharmaceutical companies can be defended, especially and as usual by someone who is directly involved with the industry that produces these drugs and vaccines for shoving diseases into the arms of mankind. The very essence of spin.

You said you majored in immunology, now you are in pharmacy school. If you want to get down to it and start calling people out, are we to be shocked that you vehemently defend the very substances and industry that have time and time again been proven as evil and harmful yet your future (and perhaps even current) livelihood is dependent upon?

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 11 July 2012 - 06:37 PM.

**RETIRED...**

#100 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Correct sir. But recent research has proven certain people more SUSCEPTIBLE to drug addiction--which would make sniffing glue just as risky to a certain type of person as smoking weed or drinking booze.

Any drug can be the gateway to drug abuse, depending on who you are and what genes you have in you.

Yes, I agree that everyone could be susceptible, some moreso than others.

**RETIRED...**

#101 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Also equally not surprising is that again the entire point of the thread has been ignored (this story has zero to do with helping children or pain management) so that pharmaceutical companies can be defended, especially and as usual by someone who is directly involved with the industry that produces these drugs and vaccines for shoving diseases into the arms of mankind. The very essence of spin.

You said you majored in immunology, now you are in pharmacy school. If you want to get down to it and start calling people out, are we to be shocked that you vehemently defend the very substances and industry that have time and time again been proven as evil and harmful yet your future (and perhaps even current) livelihood is dependent upon?

And I'd argue that if you want to start accusing people that have spent a decade working and studying in the medical field of bias, you should probably have some type of training or experience yourself. Or at least develop your critical thinking skills a bit so when you're trying to backup your ridiculous assertions you can use peer-reviewed literature and not just the blog entries of paranoid schizophrenics.

You're like the Sarah Palin of medicine. "Everyone should listen to my opinions because I am the least informed so I couldn't deliberately mislead you even if I tried."

When it comes to medical matters, I choose to believe the people who care enough dedicate their lives to the field, not those who just post incoherent rants on the internet.

#102 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I think you are missing the point, the bottom line. Which is people, children, in relentless, unrelievable pain that cannot be controlled with current medications. That is the bottom line here. All the medications available today are there because at some point, some big pharmaceutical company relied on drug trials to produce quality of life drugs that help people. Your original point in posting this topic may have been to expose big pharmaceutical companies playing fast and loose with deadlines and I can support that to a certain extent. But there is another side to the story, the one that is now being discussed. No doubt you're annoyed that your thread has taken a different turn but there's always more than one side to a story. If the end result of these drug trials is a drug that will relieve the agony of childhood disease and injury, isn't that a good thing? A positive thing?

This, this is what is being discussed now, the other side of the story, the end of the filter down effect......people. Are you trying to tell us that you have never taken any medication in your life, ever? Not even an asparin or a tylenol? How do you think that drug ended up available for you to purchase and use for pain relief? High blood pressure, allergies, constipation, psoriasis, angina, AIDS......how do you think the meds for those conditions arrived at your local pharmacy to help improve quality of life for millions of people? Through drug trials and big pharmaceutical companies dropping buckets of money into the development and production of them.

We may not like their methods, we may despise to a certain degree the process but in the real world, in the health field, it's about quality of life, about dignity, about survival from one hour to the next for some people. And that is the bottom line. That is what I care about, that is what millions of other people care about. Nobody in this world should ever have to suffer needlessly because self-perceived do-gooders cannot be bothered to look and see the bottom line. Perhaps if you spent some time with a toddler with 90% of their body covered in burns screaming in agony, or an 8 year old with terminal bone cancer whimpering in pain because they have no more energy to scream, or a teenager with sickle-cell anemia who can only moan over and over again because their pain is so great and there is nothing else to give them except by overdosing them, you would understand this bottom line.

Do we take the big pharmaceutical companies down and shut down the development of new drugs, let people continue to suffer needlessly and pat ourselves on the back for a job well done or do we regulate them, keep tighter controls over them and let them do their job?

The bottom line.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 11 July 2012 - 08:01 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#103 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

And I can guarantee that if oxycodone becomes indicated for analgesia in children it's going to be very tightly regulated. Nobody is going to be handing out bottles of oxy to kids.

As the late George Carlin said: Blow it out your ass.

You can't guarantee squat. The FDA "regulates" Big Pharma, and it's well known that they're both corrupt. And like usual everyone just turns a blind eye to the facts and hands out meaningless words of personal experience that really has no factor in the matter.

There's a huge conflict of interest with FDA board members previously working for Big Pharma and vice versa with huge payouts being made to each other. There is no regulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWN1mNGQ4Q

Posted Image

#104 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

As the late George Carlin said: *reported content removed*

You can't guarantee squat. The FDA "regulates" Big Pharma, and it's well known that they're both corrupt. And like usual everyone just turns a blind eye to the facts and hands out meaningless words of personal experience that really has no factor in the matter.

There's a huge conflict of interest with FDA board members previously working for Big Pharma and vice versa with huge payouts being made to each other. There is no regulation.

Then perhaps you should be lobbying for change, no? Move on down to that Southern region and let your voice be heard.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 11 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#105 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

And I'd argue that if you want to start accusing people that have spent a decade working and studying in the medical field of bias, you should probably have some type of training or experience yourself. Or at least develop your critical thinking skills a bit so when you're trying to backup your ridiculous assertions you can use peer-reviewed literature and not just the blog entries of paranoid schizophrenics.

You're like the Sarah Palin of medicine. "Everyone should listen to my opinions because I am the least informed so I couldn't deliberately mislead you even if I tried."

When it comes to medical matters, I choose to believe the people who care enough dedicate their lives to the field, not those who just post incoherent rants on the internet.

'Sarah Palin' references with fabricated and contrived quotations attributed to me...'paranoid schizophrenics'...'no critical thinking skills'...very intelligent. Very factual and concise. And you want to talk about accusing people...

Do you have any experience taking Oxy in your life? Have you been around those who have taken it? Or are you just going by what some pharmaceutical textbook says?

Allow me to quote one of my previous responses to you:

It's pretty clear that you've simply decided to take the route of ignoring information and fabricating ideas in your mind.

Nothing new to see here...

And yes, I'd also much rather believe people who care enough, dedicate their lives to the field and are dedicated to the well-being of humanity and dedicated to curing mankind as opposed to keeping them medicated and coming back for more through some textbook pharmaceutical company 'blue book' lackey spin-doctor posting incoherent rants, useless dismissive arguments and insults to uphold their position and that we should all ignore reality.

And when people more qualified are referenced, well, they are 'nutcases' (or 'zombie quacks')...so original, so enlightening...so predictable!

In the end you simply take personal offense, followed closely by some 'fact from fiction' comment because you are incapable of removing your emotional attachment to the very industry that is going to be either signing or contributing to your paycheques and has been deemed evil by numerous individuals who have spent decades working within.

But they are all nutcase quacks because they oppose the very pharmaceutical company funded and sponsored textbooks and educational programs you have been burying your face into for over a decade.

I suppose it could be that you really are oblivious.

People have been studying economics and monetary policy for over a decade and are 'experts' but that does not in any way render the Federal Reserve systems or the operational models of many large corporations any less evil to those who are able to discern fact from fiction in reality. Yet those 'experts' stop at nothing to defend the evil that has been nothing but a plague to mankind.

**RETIRED...**

#106 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Then perhaps you should be lobbying for change, no? Move on down to that Southern region and let your voice be heard.

But isn't that the ultimate point BB? Perhaps we should all be lobbying for change as opposed to being content with complacency and satisfied with mere observation and declaration of evil and injustice?

**RETIRED...**

#107 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

'Sarah Palin' references with fabricated and contrived quotations attributed to me...'paranoid schizophrenics'...'no critical thinking skills'...very intelligent. Very factual and concise. And you want to talk about accusing people...

Do you have any experience taking Oxy in your life? Have you been around those who have taken it? Or are you just going by what some pharmaceutical textbook says?

Allow me to quote one of my previous responses to you:

Nothing new to see here...

And yes, I'd also much rather believe people who care enough, dedicate their lives to the field and are dedicated to the well-being of humanity and dedicated to curing mankind as opposed to keeping them medicated and coming back for more through some textbook pharmaceutical company 'blue book' lackey spin-doctor posting incoherent rants, useless dismissive arguments and insults to uphold their position and that we should all ignore reality.

And when people more qualified are referenced, well, they are 'nutcases' (or 'zombie quacks')...so original, so enlightening...so predictable!

In the end you simply take personal offense, followed closely by some 'fact from fiction' comment because you are incapable of removing your emotional attachment to the very industry that is going to be either signing or contributing to your paycheques and has been deemed evil by numerous individuals who have spent decades working within.

But they are all nutcase quacks because they oppose the very pharmaceutical company funded and sponsored textbooks and educational programs you have been burying your face into for over a decade.

I suppose it could be that you really are oblivious.

People have been studying economics and monetary policy for over a decade and are 'experts' but that does not in any way render the Federal Reserve systems or the operational models of many large corporations any less evil to those who are able to discern fact from fiction in reality. Yet those 'experts' stop at nothing to defend the evil that has been nothing but a plague to mankind.

So why are you yelling at the local branch representatives? Forget it, I'm going to Service Canada to yell about Harper and Robocalls.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#108 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

So why are you yelling at the local branch representatives? Forget it, I'm going to Service Canada to yell about Harper and Robocalls.

Because he yelleded at me first :lol:

But yeah, what you say is correct and in similar line with my most recent comment to BB...

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 11 July 2012 - 08:24 PM.

**RETIRED...**

#109 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

As the late George Carlin said: Blow it out your ass.

:rolleyes:

No matter what the FDA says, 99.99% of physicians would never prescribe oxycodone to a child without good reason, 99.99% of pharmacists would never fill that order without good reason, and 99.99% of nurses would never administer oxycodone to a child without good reason.

And Ron Paul wants to privatize medicine to the point where physicians don't even have to treat emergency room patients if they can't pay, and he wants to eliminate the FDA, let companies claim whatever they want about their medications and just let the consumer decide for themselves. Anything that nutjob says about medicine is suspect.

Edited by mcgillnuck, 11 July 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#110 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

YOU. OBVIOUSLY. HAVE. NOT. READ. MY. ON. TOPIC. POSTS. IN. THIS. THREAD.

You really should, you wouldn't come off looking so ridiculously foolish in your assumptions and comments. Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth that I did not say and then going off on ridiculous tangents about them. It does not serve you well.

And hun, if I wanted to get offensive with you, you'd know it. There would be absolutely no mistaking it.

I'll take a page out of your book BB. You obviously do not understand the usage of a period. Also to everyone arguing with her. You shouldn't bother. When facts are provided, she will say one line comebacks. Then when you point that out, the above occurs. You never read her posts bla blah blah and goes on to ramble about whatever.

#111 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

I'll take a page out of your book BB. You obviously do not understand the usage of a period. Also to everyone arguing with her. You shouldn't bother. When facts are provided, she will say one line comebacks. Then when you point that out, the above occurs. You never read her posts bla blah blah and goes on to ramble about whatever.

Too bad you haven't bothered to read the entire thread either or recognized that the thread has moved on. But nice shot at trying to stir things up again. Your usual, and inevitable, FAIL.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 11 July 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#112 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Too bad you haven't bothered to read the entire thread either or recognized that the thread has moved on. But nice shot at trying to stir things up again. Your usual, and inevitable, FAIL.

But I did read the thread. I do not know where you make up these false rumors, but I hope it doesn't derail it from you being the all knowing doctor you say and present yourself as.

#113 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

But I did read the thread. I do not know where you make up these false rumors, but I hope it doesn't derail it from you being the all knowing doctor you say and present yourself as.

You need to go back and read what I wrote.....assumptions only make you look foolish. As per usual.

It was clear you hadn't read the thread or you wouldn't have been able to make the comments you did with a straight face.But, let's for the sake of the argument, say you did then you'd just be trolling and misrepresenting things, you know, trolling. And you obviously didn't recognize that the thread had moved on which would have been pretty obvious if you'd read the thread like you 'say' you did.

FAIL....again.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 11 July 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#114 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

No matter what the FDA says, 99.99% of physicians would never prescribe oxycodone to a child without good reason, 99.99% of pharmacists would never fill that order without good reason, and 99.99% of nurses would never administer oxycodone to a child without good reason.

Here we go again. More verbal diarrhea in the form of percentages. And what's this business about "good reason", there is none. This stuff is dangerous for grown adults and should never be taken by anyone let alone children, along with the majority of prescription drugs.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think it will be prescribed when there will be a nice pay day in for the dealer. Where do you think the millions of people addicted to Oxy today get their supply from? They'll sell thousands of pills a month to addicts, they do not care, it's big business. Children are the untapped market. The parents, the oblivious enablers.

and he wants to eliminate the FDA, let companies claim whatever they want about their medications and just let the consumer decide for themselves. Anything that nutjob says about medicine is suspect.

Um, that's exactly what's happening now, so what's the difference?

Yay more nutjob remarks, discrediting arguments one post at a time.

Posted Image

#115 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

You need to go back and read what I wrote.....assumptions only make you look foolish. As per usual.

It was clear you hadn't read the thread or you wouldn't have been able to make the comments you did with a straight face.

I did read what you said, thank you. Also, you're assuming I made an assumption. But I did not, what I said is fact. Also, there you go making assumptions again! Did you know, I heard from some great, omniscient person that assumptions make you look foolish?

#116 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Here we go again. More verbal diarrhea in the form of percentages. And what's this business about "good reason", there is none. This stuff is dangerous for grown adults and should never be taken by anyone let alone children, along with the majority of prescription drugs.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think it will be prescribed when there will be a nice pay day in for the dealer. Where do you think the millions of people addicted to Oxy today get their supply from? They'll sell thousands of pills a month to addicts, they do not care, it's big business. Children are the untapped market. The parents, the oblivious enablers.

Um, that's exactly what's happening now, so what's the difference?

Yay more nutjob remarks, discrediting arguments one post at a time.

First off, opioid use improves the quality of life of millions of people every year. Try telling a a post-operative patient or a palliative patient that opioids have no use. You should thank frack that you never had a reason to need them instead of condemning those who do. "This stuff...should never be taken by anyone" is just such a ridiculously ignorant comment.

And are you accusing physicians of taking kickbacks from Purdue? Do you actually know any physicians? I'm not saying that that kind of stuff never happens, but it's rare when it does.

And that's the complete opposite of what's happening now. Did you even listen to that idiotic Ron Paul clip you posted? Drugs can take decades to get to market because of all the rigorous testing they have to undergo. If you had ever read an actual drug study, you'd know that companies very rarely fudge the stats. They create misleading abstracts by cherry-picking statistics which back up their claims, but they can't claim anything about a medication which hasn't been proven.

You just don't know what you're talking about at all.

#117 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

:rolleyes:

And Ron Paul wants to privatize medicine to the point where physicians don't even have to treat emergency room patients if they can't pay, and he wants to eliminate the FDA, let companies claim whatever they want about their medications and just let the consumer decide for themselves. Anything that nutjob says about medicine is suspect.

And not only would they tend to avoid this prescription but they know they'd be civilly, possibly criminally, liable as well, since prescriptions tend to be well documented to research for such civil purposes.

First off, the abuses of oxy comes from adults acquiring prescriptions, and whoever they give it to.. countless abuse attempts are thwarted too by pharmacies that realize someone is filling too many prescriptions of a drug that has such high addiction and abuse potential. You are looking entirely at one side of the coin with a pre-existing theory looking for evidence solely to support that belief and nothing else. That much is painfully clear.

Secondly, oh look, conspiracy.

Thirdly, you should not be giving medical advice. Scepticism is one thing, but you obviously are not a doctor.

This type of medication would be a godsend for one of my sisters who beat leukemia after 20 years of fighting it since she was a few years old. It would have been helpful during pain management of chemo (far worse as far as side effects than a modified oxy yet you aren't complaining about this) and post bone marrow transplants, during pain management even after beating leukemia because while she beat leukemia she's highly susceptible to countless other diseases and cancers now, there are children with exactly the same thing going on, but the overall picture is pain management and this is certainly not the only type of pain that can be managed via doctors/GPs and parents.

Actually, I believe the current issue is testing Oxy on children, which will in turn allow them to maintain their exclusive patent on the drug from generic competitors for another six months (=$1.4 billion in revenue). A business decision as opposed to a medical one.

This is only a business decision because you ignore the other, primary reason a doctor or GP would prescribe such a thing, to manage high amounts of pain. I would agree with you about how terrible the US medical industry is about cost and competition, but it would only cater to your red herring conspiracy dogcrap.

The piece cited in the OP is informative and cited obvious concerns any reasonable person would have with children's metabolism and addiction potential, especially in giving it to their children, but the OP hijacks it as per conspiracy, and of course the same conspiracy queens are here to try and make us paranoid of a modified drug that has some very obvious potential usages for it's targeted audience.

Edited by zaibatsu, 12 July 2012 - 03:16 AM.

#118 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Secondly, oh look, conspiracy.

This is only a business decision because you ignore the other, primary reason a doctor or GP would prescribe such a thing, to manage high amounts of pain. I would agree with you about how terrible the US medical industry is about cost and competition, but it would only cater to your red herring conspiracy dogcrap.

The piece cited in the OP is informative and cited obvious concerns any reasonable person would have with children's metabolism and addiction potential, especially in giving it to their children, but the OP hijacks it as per conspiracy, and of course the same conspiracy queens are here to try and make us paranoid of a modified drug that has some very obvious potential usages for it's targeted audience.

etc., etc., etc...but you are naturally skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and governments.

Now let's see if you come back with some brilliant 'reverend Alex Jones' comment that would even insult the intelligence of a three year old child on OxyContin,, yet do yourself oh so proud (which has some very obvious potential usages for its target audience) .

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 12 July 2012 - 01:09 AM.

**RETIRED...**

#119 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

etc., etc., etc...but you are naturally skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and governments.

Now let's see if you come back with some brilliant 'reverend Alex Jones' comment that would even insult the intelligence of a three year old child on OxyContin,, yet do yourself oh so proud (which has some very obvious potential usages for its target audience) .

"Three year old on Oxy" aptly describes your purposefully misleading paranoia garbage.

Pharmaceutical companies nor governments would prescribe children's oxy to "three years olds" at all. They don't have the authority to in either Canada or US. Trials would be administered to a select group mandated by doctors, never mind prescriptions presuming things go beyond that.. not an industry, nor government.

Reverend Alex forgot to teach you guys a little common sense and humility.

Edited by zaibatsu, 12 July 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#120 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

"Three year old on Oxy" aptly describes your purposefully misleading paranoia garbage.

Pharmaceutical companies nor governments would prescribe children's oxy to "three years olds" at all. They don't have the authority to. Trials would be administered to a select group mandated by doctors, never mind prescriptions presuming things go beyond that.. not an industry, nor government.

Reverend Alex forgot to teach you guys a little common sense and humility.

My comment of a three year old on OxyContin was quite obviously making reference to the intellectual level and ignorance of your responses as well as your behaviour in general (^^ this here a fitting example that is par for the course).

The fact that I must explicitly point this out to you is funny, sad and quite frankly not at all surprising.

**RETIRED...**

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.