The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Walking Dead games

NP-4815162342

Just bought the tell tale games walking dead for 3$.

Sooooo worth it. Nice change of pace from all the shooters and sports games I play. I just started playing and just met up with Glenns camp. I was wondering what happens if you save herschel's son? I kinda just saved the kid instead since hes young and herschel didn't really trust me.

Great game so glad i picked it up.

Just bought the tell tale games walking dead for 3$.

Sooooo worth it. Nice change of pace from all the shooters and sports games I play. I just started playing and just met up with Glenns camp. I was wondering what happens if you save herschel's son? I kinda just saved the kid instead since hes young and herschel didn't really trust me.

Great game so glad i picked it up.

Spoilers, that choice does not matter, along with every other single choice. Lol.

Don't be so bitter. :P

The final result is the same but the little things you can change. :lol:

Just saying, lol. You choose to save Herschel's son, what happens? Nothing. Does choosing to save the other kid help? Can't say too much without actual spoilers, but all you're doing is mildly pleasing or

There's nothing about who's camp your in, who your favourites are, and whatever fate your trying to avoid. You can prolong a death for a chapter at most.

Just saying, lol. You choose to save Herschel's son, what happens? Nothing. Does choosing to save the other kid help? Can't say too much without actual spoilers, but all you're doing is mildly pleasing or

There's nothing about who's camp your in, who your favourites are, and whatever fate your trying to avoid. You can prolong a death for a chapter at most.

Have you played other Telltale games? I haven't but I know they all have this style of gameplay.

I assume you're not a fan of the developer more than the game?

Have you played other Telltale games? I haven't but I know they all have this style of gameplay.

I assume you're not a fan of the developer more than the game?

I also hate the plot, so there's that as well. It's a pure walking dead style story, and I think that's unfortunate. But as for the developer and the gameplay, it's seriously underdeveloped. They can spend time on it to flesh it out properly, or instead, not act like it's a choose your own adventure game. Either would be fine.

I also hate the plot, so there's that as well. It's a pure walking dead style story, and I think that's unfortunate. But as for the developer and the gameplay, it's seriously underdeveloped. They can spend time on it to flesh it out properly, or instead, not act like it's a choose your own adventure game. Either would be fine.

You should keep in mind it wasn't a massive budget game it is an arcade game and what you are complaining about are very expensive tasks. In addition is not an RPG game it is a graphic adventure genre game. It sounds like you just aren't into those style games.

It certainly isn't a bad game it did win game of the year as well as numerous other awards because for what it is it's done very well. The decisions do change the interactions and dialogue as well as some small parts of the story play out and possible hints as to other events in the game. Basically it's about the journey and not how many different endings there could have been.

But yeah your complaints sound more along the lines of the budget and the genre.

You should keep in mind it wasn't a massive budget game it is an arcade game and what you are complaining about are very expensive tasks. In addition is not an RPG game it is a graphic adventure genre game. It sounds like you just aren't into those style games.

It certainly isn't a bad game it did win game of the year as well as numerous other awards because for what it is it's done very well. The decisions do change the interactions and dialogue as well as some small parts of the story play out and possible hints as to other events in the game. Basically it's about the journey and not how many different endings there could have been.

But yeah your complaints sound more along the lines of the budget and the genre.

I've played a lot of adventure games, and I do enjoy them, a lot. It's not the genre.

And I've seen games with far, far, smaller development teams and budgets make games with choice based systems. I'm playing one right now, in Zero Escape for the 3DS, that has 16 different paths and endings. Where different people die, through different methods, in different outcomes, just because of the decisions you make. It was a far simpler game to animate, but the idea that you couldn't make that type of game is bull, and a crutch by those who don't want to actually try.

The primary reason that the game didn't branch out in any way whatsoever is so that they could have a straightforward story to carry into their season two. A story with no variables. I would have preferred they let season 1 just end however wildly it could, and use a completely different story for season 2, but they went with the generic option.

And the idea that this would be the game of year is a joke. I know that during Spike's awards, they won, but that's like winning movie of the year at the MTV awards. Dishonored was better in so many different ways. As was Far Cry 3. Hell, even Borderlands 2 and XCOM were better than it, in just about every way.

It is a bare bones adventure game, with high-end animation production qualities. I can accept it as a game it as a game with zero choices, but that narrative shouldn't be mixed. The problem for me is that people don't treat it as such. The narrative it gets instead is that it's the game of the year, incredibly deep choose your own adventure, miracle game from a puny development team. That one is not right.

I've played a lot of adventure games, and I do enjoy them, a lot. It's not the genre.

And I've seen games with far, far, smaller development teams and budgets make games with choice based systems. I'm playing one right now, in Zero Escape for the 3DS, that has 16 different paths and endings. Where different people die, through different methods, in different outcomes, just because of the decisions you make. It was a far simpler game to animate, but the idea that you couldn't make that type of game is bull, and a crutch by those who don't want to actually try.

The primary reason that the game didn't branch out in any way whatsoever is so that they could have a straightforward story to carry into their season two. A story with no variables. I would have preferred they let season 1 just end however wildly it could, and use a completely different story for season 2, but they went with the generic option.

And the idea that this would be the game of year is a joke. I know that during Spike's awards, they won, but that's like winning movie of the year at the MTV awards. Dishonored was better in so many different ways. As was Far Cry 3. Hell, even Borderlands 2 and XCOM were better than it, in just about every way.

It is a bare bones adventure game, with high-end animation production qualities. I can accept it as a game it as a game with zero choices, but that narrative shouldn't be mixed. The problem for me is that people don't treat it as such. The narrative it gets instead is that it's the game of the year, incredibly deep choose your own adventure, miracle game from a puny development team. That one is not right.

I am coming up with the same assessments that you are, except for the fact that I really enjoyed the game and I'm curious as to what Season 2 will bring.

I agree that this game is... very streamlined and therefore has little replay value. But something I disagree with you is the story plot. I think you said earlier you found it overly cliche, right? I'd play season two just for that.

The point I was making is The Walking Dead is not listed as an RPG game. While Zero Escape is an Adventure game it is still listed as an RPG. You're argument is summed up is basically just saying it should also be an RPG. I don't disagree that the RPG aspect wouldn't have been awesome but given the fact that it isn't one it's fine.

I do think you may be overlooking the work required to develop games though. I don't know what the budget's were per episode but Telltale isn't a huge company as of now they are 125 employees (not all working on the same project) that had release deadlines each month that had to be programmed for 5 different platforms. The RPG aspect alone can double the amount of work and money going to the animators as well as voice actors. In addition keep in mind because the game is downloaded some of the platforms have limits on the size downloads can be (though admittedly the original downloads weren't to bad in size). Hell Telltale even openly states they speak with movie producers because they want the games to play like movies. That's just their thing.

But yeah basically you're saying you want it to be an RPG but I don't think you can call them lazy when it simply isn't an RPG.

The point I was making is The Walking Dead is not listed as an RPG game. While Zero Escape is an Adventure game it is still listed as an RPG. You're argument is summed up is basically just saying it should also be an RPG. I don't disagree that the RPG aspect wouldn't have been awesome but given the fact that it isn't one it's fine.

I do think you may be overlooking the work required to develop games though. I don't know what the budget's were per episode but Telltale isn't a huge company as of now they are 125 employees (not all working on the same project) that had release deadlines each month that had to be programmed for 5 different platforms. The RPG aspect alone can double the amount of work and money going to the animators as well as voice actors. In addition keep in mind because the game is downloaded some of the platforms have limits on the size downloads can be (though admittedly the original downloads weren't to bad in size). Hell Telltale even openly states they speak with movie producers because they want the games to play like movies. That's just their thing.

But yeah basically you're saying you want it to be an RPG but I don't think you can call them lazy when it simply isn't an RPG.

Zero Escape is not an RPG. It's an adventure game in the purest of forms. Item searches, puzzle solving, the works.

It had plot lines that were voiced start to finish. Some overlap obviously, but they ensure everything from start to bottom is programmed in.

Choice based mechanics do not make an RPG. An RPG can be just as linear as any game out there. An RPG is about leveling up, exploring worlds, all that jazz. An adventure game can be linear, or have 500 different ways of ending, it's still an adventure game either way.

Zero Escape likely had a team of less than 30 or so people working on the game at a given time. Telltale would have had significantly more people working on the Walking Dead. The idea that they couldn't have had choices matter is not true. It's just cost effective, and conducive to the multiple season format that they don't bother branching the game.

The idea that the game plays like a movie is true. It does. It's linear and cinematic. But it should not be treated as anything other than that. Certainly shouldn't be treated as and marketed as a choice based adventure game.

And the story is what it is. If you enjoy it, and want more of it, that's all fine. But it should not be confused for great writing either. Nothing zombie related in the last 5-10 years should be. The game's success is feeding of that fad.

Zero Escape is not an RPG. It's an adventure game in the purest of forms. Item searches, puzzle solving, the works.

It had plot lines that were voiced start to finish. Some overlap obviously, but they ensure everything from start to bottom is programmed in.

Choice based mechanics do not make an RPG. An RPG can be just as linear as any game out there. An RPG is about leveling up, exploring worlds, all that jazz. An adventure game can be linear, or have 500 different ways of ending, it's still an adventure game either way.

Zero Escape likely had a team of less than 30 or so people working on the game at a given time. Telltale would have had significantly more people working on the Walking Dead. The idea that they couldn't have had choices matter is not true. It's just cost effective, and conducive to the multiple season format that they don't bother branching the game.

The idea that the game plays like a movie is true. It does. It's linear and cinematic. But it should not be treated as anything other than that. Certainly shouldn't be treated as and marketed as a choice based adventure game.

And the story is what it is. If you enjoy it, and want more of it, that's all fine. But it should not be confused for great writing either. Nothing zombie related in the last 5-10 years should be. The game's success is feeding of that fad.

Did I look at the wrong game?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/zero-escape-virtures-last-reward/106193

Unless that is the wrong game it is at least being marketed as an RPG game.

Most games fall under multiple genre's. A game can be both adventure and RPG but as far as I have seen games that are reprogrammed based on the decisions of the player fall under RPG.

Still I don't understand why you insist on comparing Zero Escape to The Walking Dead though from an animation standpoint. They are on very different levels. The entire Zero Escape game is only about a gig in download space and its a hell of a lot simpler. I don't work on video games but I do work in video editing and the walking dead easily requires more workers for the animation than Zero Escape does.

Hell I would agree with you on the zombie fade one of my last statuses was ripping how overrated the TV show the walking dead was but as far as the Telltale game goes I did enjoy it not relevant to the number of outcomes but the character development and interaction. When I played the game I wasn't thinking about the number of outcomes I was thinking about what I would do in said situation and it played out smoothly.

But none the less we will stand with our opinions. We both agree it would be better with multiple outcomes but disagree with me still thinking its a strong game where as you didn't like it.

Archived