The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hindsight: Cody and Kesler would have been the second line

jonnycanuck46

I would say Kassian has just an equal shot of succeeding on the second line as Hodgson.

I'm not saying he has earned it yet, or that he will succeed in the near future, but the odds of Hodgson succeeding on the second line aren't that much greater than Kassian.

I would say Kassian has just an equal shot of succeeding on the second line as Hodgson.

I'm not saying he has earned it yet, or that he will succeed in the near future, but the odds of Hodgson succeeding on the second line aren't that much greater than Kassian.

I was calling for Cody to be the 2nd line center n moving Kes to the wing half way thru last year. I think it would've worked, Cody being a setup guy n Kesler as a shooter, n it also would've provided Cody with more playing type which is what he wanted

I never liked the Hodgson trade. I think Gillis was hoping to have that toughness in front of the net. Kassian looked out of place and never fit in. I think what Gillis sees in Kassian is another Kesler type player but one who can score Tim Kerr like goals. Always in front of the net not being able to move him. Bad time last year for that Trade that's all that was...and a total surprise at least for me. My thought is with a healthy Kesler, Raymond and Kassian with a full year and a training camp, with a very talented team, he will fill a huge hole. I really believe we are one scorer away from the Cup. Who that maybe ...I am not sure. Shane Doan is expensive so forget that unless he wants to bring his Wife back to Vancouver at a decent price. I would love to see Gillis spring for Bobby Ryan but how will he get him from a team in the Conference is yet to be seen. I like how things are quiet as far as the Canucks go. Business is being done in the back room where it should be. Two things will happen for sure...Luongo will be out somewhere even for prospects I don't care. We don't need the distraction. Gillis will find that piece. Regardless of Kassian or Hodgson we are one offensive forward short.

Mike

Cody's daddy and his agent turned him sour on Vancouver and wanted him on an eastern team where he could be an instant star. MG didn't have much choice but to move him because he was an immature baby looking to his daddy to tell him what to do. Hey it might work out for him and Kassian might work out for Vancouver. There were issues around his back but really, what was MG and AV to do but go by what the doctors said here with regards to his health. The big problem was that he never got over it and held a grudge....good riddance I say.

There is no point having a player on the 2nd line that doesn't want to be here....attitude, attitude, attitude.

When Cody decided that he wanted out, he put Gillis in a difficult position. Then Gillis traded him for another young player. Hopefully that works out.

On a side note, you rarely see these kind of things on non-Canadian teams. imo Politics are involved. If Hodgson was originally drafted by an American team, he would not have asked to be traded even if the circumstances were identical.

Ken Holland was kind enough to point out that the Canucks had some nice assets to be envious of when interviewed here. Namely, the Luongo/Schneider duo (soon to be broken up) and a CHL player of the year in Hodgson (already traded.)

When things that don't make any sense start to happen, you can be sure that politics are behind it.

Archived