The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

If they built bus-only lanes, and added express buses every 10 minutes, you'd get more people riding transit and you'd get faster and more reliable times...

...but most of the buses would be nearly empty.

There just isn't enough of a population base to justify the same infrastructure on King George as we have on W. Broadway.

I'd be very in favour of bus-only lanes from a White Rock hub up to Surrey Central to see how it goes, and then expanding and adding buses as the first ones fill up.

I think the B-Line is one of the few lines that actually makes money. I think lines on Main and Victoria do it too, and a bunch of others come close to breaking even.

Oddly, the most heavily subsidized routes were in South Surrey from what I recall.

Also, they can't run the buses any more frequently. It takes 3 minutes to load an articulated bus with all sets of doors open and no fare checking.

Port Mann Bridge tolls to start at $1.50

Metro Vancouver car drivers will pay an introductory $1.50 toll to cross the new Port Mann Bridge when it opens in December, down from an original base toll of $3 per crossing.

The lower fee is expected to remain in effect through to Feb. 28 next year. Drivers who register for an account before then will be able to lock in the rate until the end of next year, while others will face a toll of $3 after the three months are up.

The fee was announced as the province completes construction of the 10-span crossing and demolishes the old bridge.

Two of the eight lanes cannot be used next year while the old bridge is being knocked down.

Transportation Minister Mary Polak said the new fee will make it more affordable for drivers.

Drivers using the new bridge will be given free decals to track their trips across the Fraser River, rather than the leased transponders now used on TransLink's Golden Ears Bridge. The decals, which are the size of a Band-Aid, will be placed on the top left corner of the wind-shield and will work in a similar way to the Golden Ears transponders. Vehicles without a decal will also be detected through a licence plate camera system.

Drivers who register will open an account, which is linked to their credit card. Every time they cross the Port Mann, the toll will be charged to the card. Those who don't register can either pay at a kiosk either before or after they cross the bridge, or either online or by phone later.

Drivers without a decal will have seven days to pay.

About 120,000 people cross the bridge daily.

Oh, and since the line is moving out towards the Pacific translink might as well announce a toll on the Putello starting at the same time for whatever it's going to be. That way the traffic will funnel onto the bridge and not mess up New West.

It's not like they aren't actively already spending money on it's replacement might as well start collecting it now so you don't have the double whammy of people dodging the toll while your trying to stage construction of a new bridge!

If the province so much as utters "free alternative" they should respond with "The Alex Fraser is a free alternative our bridge is also being replaced and upgraded what's your problem do you hate New West or something?"

I wish. I hate the UPass. This is my 6 year having one. In that time there has been a grand total of 1 month where I actually broke even. It annoys me that in that time I've paid close to 600 dollars more for the UPass than I would have with single trip tickets. It's not like I owned a car and was using that instead either. There's just little point to one if you live on campus and rarely stay for the weekend but of course I'm not allowed to opt out.

Seems like this has drifted into transit thread zone, but wanted to say that I really don't see much downside to the new Port Mann bridge. The old/current one is unsustainable - I don't know how one can argue that a situation where a 'small' backup which extends 'only' to 160th is a good thing... and we've all been in the ones where you're lined up well past 176th. That situation wasn't going to get better no matter how many transit stations were built. I think only a new and bigger bridge has any hope of improving the flow of traffic.

I'm not a big fan of tolls, and I'd be much more in favour of a toll on every crossing in the lower mainland but at a much lower rate (say 25 or 50 cents-ish?) since it does seem to me that south of the fraser folks bear a disproportionate burden of the high profile transit projects elsewhere.

I also reject this elitist argument that people are 'stupid' or 'silly' to live south of fraser. Not everyone wants to or can (family size) live in an 800 square foot box-in-the-sky a 10 minute walk away from work, and although land values may be cheaper in Surrey relative to Point Grey, you're still likely looking at a half-million for a single family home out there on the low end. It's not like everyone in Surrey has no mortgage or something.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who lives north of the fraser, but I'm looking forward to the new Port Mann for those occasions when I drive east. I don't really see the downside (apart from the massive cost/debt, but heck, these things aren't cheap, and we've made stupider infrastructure decisions than this one)

Seems like this has drifted into transit thread zone, but wanted to say that I really don't see much downside to the new Port Mann bridge. The old/current one is unsustainable - I don't know how one can argue that a situation where a 'small' backup which extends 'only' to 160th is a good thing... and we've all been in the ones where you're lined up well past 176th. That situation wasn't going to get better no matter how many transit stations were built. I think only a new and bigger bridge has any hope of improving the flow of traffic.

I'm not a big fan of tolls, and I'd be much more in favour of a toll on every crossing in the lower mainland but at a much lower rate (say 25 or 50 cents-ish?) since it does seem to me that south of the fraser folks bear a disproportionate burden of the high profile transit projects elsewhere.

I also reject this elitist argument that people are 'stupid' or 'silly' to live south of fraser. Not everyone wants to or can (family size) live in an 800 square foot box-in-the-sky a 10 minute walk away from work, and although land values may be cheaper in Surrey relative to Point Grey, you're still likely looking at a half-million for a single family home out there on the low end. It's not like everyone in Surrey has no mortgage or something.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who lives north of the fraser, but I'm looking forward to the new Port Mann for those occasions when I drive east. I don't really see the downside (apart from the massive cost/debt, but heck, these things aren't cheap, and we've made stupider infrastructure decisions than this one)

Can you cite one example (other than an economic downturn and reduction in population) where any kind of improvement has actually reduced congestion?

This kind of thinking does nothing but stifle the economy and increase congestion as the end result is simply doing nothing.

To say that the new bridge will only induce sprawl is pointless. The rediculous housing prices on the Burrard peninsula are strong enough to induce sprawl that people have been willing to sit idling on the way to the bridge an hour a day every day for years and years now.

Archived