The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout Protest Day

I'll b*tch and moan as much as the next guy, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I'll be back on my couch every night watching SportsCentre and NHL Network. Hockey is a passion for most fans, and "boycotting the league" is only going to hurt future product. I'll complain, and attend my therapy sessions, if there is a lockout, but I won't partake in any "boycotting" events.

Good luck. :canucks:

But can you blame the players when the owners made 3.5 billion for merchandising those players? It's millionaires vs billionaires and it looks like you've sided with the billionaires. The complete thing is bs regardless, because even if both sides win, you can betchyer ass the fans are the ones that ultimately lose.

This is the honest answer for 99% of the fans and that is what it is, period. The owners know it, the NHLPA know it. What are you going to do, start folowing curling or european soccer? Won't happen. Nothing wrong with being mad but that doesn't change one's interest in the game.

I was just browsing twitter and saw this and I wanted to see what CDC thought!

Would anyone consider doing this? https://twitter.com/lockoutprotest

This person wants all fans to sit in at parks and arenas on September 15th. Would anyone here go out to rogers arenas, wear your favorite teams colours and do a sit in?

P.S. I considered putting this in the lockout thread but it kind of strays away from the topic of that thread.

What exactly is this showing? Fans care?

Bettman and Fehr know that we'll be back one way or another - just look at 04-05 if you don't believe me. The sellout crowds on opening night October 05 show. The increasing ticket prices, which we willingly pay for, show. The record TV view rates show.

The best way to protest the NHL? Show up to nothing, even protests. Make Bettman and Fehr believe that all's well in fan-land.

Such a protest is in my opinion counter productive. If I were an owner, I would see that as an indication that fans will come back in droves after the lockout. If you cared enough to protest, you would likely come back as a customer anyways after the lockout.

What might scare them is to have signed declarations from fans to boycott the NHL in the event of a lockout. Have a column that states the amount of money you spend on NHL games/merchandise and vow to boycott them for X amount of games/seasons. Put a price tag on your fan loyalty and make them realize that they stand to lose it in the event of a lockout.

Such a protest is in my opinion counter productive. If I were an owner, I would see that as an indication that fans will come back in droves after the lockout. If you cared enough to protest, you would likely come back as a customer anyways after the lockout.

What might scare them is to have signed declarations from fans to boycott the NHL in the event of a lockout. Have a column that states the amount of money you spend on NHL games/merchandise and vow to boycott them for X amount of games/seasons. Put a price tag on your fan loyalty and make them realize that they stand to lose it in the event of a lockout.

Archived