The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

The only year that Schneider has had as a starter as a professional is 09/10. His other years he has been a 1a or a backup.

In 09/10, Schneider looked just as calm and collected as we are used to seeing him playing in the NHL. However, he was prone to bad games where it looked like he couldn't stop the easiest shots. He had 5 games where his GAA was 6 or higher (Luongo had 4 of these games last year). He had 2 entire months where is GAA was 3 or higher (luongo's GAA went over 3 in October). All of his other months were closer to a GAA of 2.

For everyone saying that Schneider is consistent, we have no idea how he will respond to starter minutes in the NHL. If his previous starter minutes are taken into consideration, we may be having the same "inconsistency" conversations with him as well.

The only year that Schneider has had as a starter as a professional is 09/10. His other years he has been a 1a or a backup.

In 09/10, Schneider looked just as calm and collected as we are used to seeing him playing in the NHL. However, he was prone to bad games where it looked like he couldn't stop the easiest shots. He had 5 games where his GAA was 6 or higher (Luongo had 4 of these games last year). He had 2 entire months where is GAA was 3 or higher (luongo's GAA went over 3 in October). All of his other months were closer to a GAA of 2.

For everyone saying that Schneider is consistent, we have no idea how he will respond to starter minutes in the NHL. If his previous starter minutes are taken into consideration, we may be having the same "inconsistency" conversations with him as well.

And...his stats last season were FAR better than the previous season..why not post those...more current and indicative of his level of improvement. The more games Schneids gets to play, the better he will get to know the opposing players and their tendencies, get more comfortable playing with the Canucks with better communication with his D men. All things that will help him improve.

Oh we will certainly have this conversation at some time in the future. Combine rabbid fans, unforgiving media and time, and one has the recipe of a goaltender graveyard rebirth.

If this is about legacy and building a team on the Detroit blueprint, then Luongo retires a Canucks and Schneider gets traded for much needed help in scoring via either forward or defense.

Through time, every goaltender has the priviledge of having critics descend upon them with frustration and blame. Nothing is abnormal in Luongo's world. Fans in such a microscope market are frustrated and would surely welcome a Cup delivered by Luongo or Schneider. From my perspetive, Luongo is much closer to doing that than Schneider. There is a great difference between playing your second Stanley Cup Finals and trying to get there for the first time. The Canucks are lucky they have a goaltender that has gone through a Stanley Cup Finals already.

I agree, great points. +1

I am a big fan of Schneids, and i do think he will do well when he becomes the starter.

But Anyone who thinks he won't have off games just like Lu (or any other goalie) has occasionally has no clue what there talking about, and I hope we don't turn our relationship with Cory into the relationship we now have with Roberto.

Smurf47,

Could you please give a detailed, elaborate work comparing Luongo's and Schneider's goaltending, including exact terminology for the various points you will be making; terminology one would find employed by goaltending coaches at the Pro level.

I feel you are the best positioned to do so. Be a teacher of the craft of goaltending so as to make me understand exactly what you see in Schneider and Luongo; qualities and flaws in their play, technique and fundamentals.

Take the time to write such a detailed work. Two hours should be minimum, four ought to be plenty. I would like to see a fully detailed and elaborate work; not a rush job. Take your time to write it and, if you did indeed go to university, you will know exactly what I would like to see as a format.

1st and 2nd sources reference only, though do not be afraid to research your points as thoroughly as possible. As per University guidelines, Wikipedia does not count as reference. Direct quotes from legitimate sources to support your work is encouraged.

I'm very curious to know more about goaltending. I find I could use an update and a good read. That said, try not to under-estimate your readers; we all walk different paths.

Good luck and I await your reply.

Smurf47,

Could you please give a detailed, elaborate work comparing Luongo's and Schneider's goaltending, including exact terminology for the various points you will be making; terminology one would find employed by goaltending coaches at the Pro level.

I feel you are the best positioned to do so. Be a teacher of the craft of goaltending so as to make me understand exactly what you see in Schneider and Luongo; qualities and flaws in their play, technique and fundamentals.

Take the time to write such a detailed work. Two hours should be minimum, four ought to be plenty. I would like to see a fully detailed and elaborate work; not a rush job. Take your time to write it and, if you did indeed go to university, you will know exactly what I would like to see as a format.

1st and 2nd sources reference only, though do not be afraid to research your points as thoroughly as possible. As per University guidelines, Wikipedia does not count as reference. Direct quotes from legitimate sources to support your work is encouraged.

I'm very curious to know more about goaltending. I find I could use an update and a good read. That said, try not to under-estimate your readers; we all walk different paths.

Good luck and I await your reply.

I understand you are defensive regarding your opinion and stance on this site, especially in this thread. If I understand correctly, it has not been easy for you to defend your position concerning goaltending.

Conversely, I don't think there is a need to be aggressive on the matter. I have an excellent education which serves me rather well in life; I do not think re-education is what I seek. That said, I offered you in a calmly manner, a way to assert yourself on this site through what you claim you know best. If you do know best, then I wanted to know what you know, see and feel when it comes to the minute details I might be missing.

This is a legitimate enquiry. The offer is open-ended.

Archived