The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

She was young so I can sympathize a bit with her. However, if she were older, I don't think I would be able to.

She made a lot of _REALLY_ stupid mistakes that lead to this, and then she killed herself. It was an incredibly selfish thing to do. Again, she was young, so I can appreciate that.

I still want the bullies put to justice ofcourse as it is also mostly their fault for this tragic outcome.

Keeping in mind there are children in third-world countries on the brink of starvation and ones who fight to their last breath with no help, no parents or counselling; it doesn't seem fair that we are not to sympathize with them and these children here get front-page news.

Well if you are not all about @Firstworldproblems, them don't spend your time making comments on this forum. Instead, you should /quit life and go work in a third world country - devote your time to those starving children in Africa.

/sarcasm

She was young so I can sympathize a bit with her. However, if she were older, I don't think I would be able to.

She made a lot of _REALLY_ stupid mistakes that lead to this, and then she killed herself. It was an incredibly selfish thing to do. Again, she was young, so I can appreciate that.

I still want the bullies put to justice ofcourse as it is also mostly their fault for this tragic outcome.

Keeping in mind there are children in third-world countries on the brink of starvation and ones who fight to their last breath with no help, no parents or counselling; it doesn't seem fair that we are not to sympathize with them and these children here get front-page news.

I'm not all for third world problems. Infact, you completely missed my point, you dodged the entire post actually.

It is much easier to judge someone as heartless and tell them how horrible of a person they are for having their opinion rather than actually arguing with their particular point.

So why don't you present me with a conflicting argument and try and convince me rather than ridiculing me?

"I love how people put the focus on her and her mistakes, and completely avoid the fact that she was preyed on and seduced by an older guy, and then extorted for sex. Yet she's the one that should be ridiculed?"

What I said:

"I still want the bullies put to justice ofcourse as it is also mostly their fault for this tragic outcome."

It was in part due to her mistake that she killed herself, but, as I highlighted there, it wouldn't have gone this far had she not been bullied. I am not negating the bullying nor and I saying it is less significant than the mistakes she made which lead to it.

"Funny how society today finds it more convenient to label a girl a slut, then to actually look at the situation."

By 'society' I assume you mean MOST people but yourself, or rather me. I didn't call this girl a slut, and I haven't met anyone in society who would.

I would look at this situation and determine that there is nothing that can be done with cyber-bullying. That making yourself subject to dangerous individuals and giving them reasons to pursue you, and Amanda made several mistakes, will result in the subsequent pursuing of those particular individuals.

"This girl was 13 when this started! You show me a 13 year old girl that isn't irrational and vulnerable, and I'll call you a liar"

Hence why I said:

"She was young so I can sympathize a bit with her. However, if she were older, I don't think I would be able to."

Killing yourself is selfish, huh? How inconsiderate that she didn't think about anyone but herself and the fact that she no longer had the will to live. I'm sorry, but unless you have walked a mile in other people's shoes, don't make judgements. Anyone who hasn't battled depression has no right to say anything on the matter, because the bottom line is no one knows what these people were going through.

"I love how people put the focus on her and her mistakes, and completely avoid the fact that she was preyed on and seduced by an older guy, and then extorted for sex. Yet she's the one that should be ridiculed?"

What I said:

"I still want the bullies put to justice ofcourse as it is also mostly their fault for this tragic outcome."

It was in part due to her mistake that she killed herself, but, as I highlighted there, it wouldn't have gone this far had she not been bullied. I am not negating the bullying nor and I saying it is less significant than the mistakes she made which lead to it.

"Funny how society today finds it more convenient to label a girl a slut, then to actually look at the situation."

By 'society' I assume you mean MOST people but yourself, or rather me. I didn't call this girl a slut, and I haven't met anyone in society who would.

I would look at this situation and determine that there is nothing that can be done with cyber-bullying. That making yourself subject to dangerous individuals and giving them reasons to pursue you, and Amanda made several mistakes, will result in the subsequent pursuing of those particular individuals.

"This girl was 13 when this started! You show me a 13 year old girl that isn't irrational and vulnerable, and I'll call you a liar"

Hence why I said:

"She was young so I can sympathize a bit with her. However, if she were older, I don't think I would be able to."

I have battled depression, and I was bullied through high-school. Many kids have had to deal with it. To kill yourself is to put your friends and family through the worst momments of their lives. Killing yourself is not thinking of what you're taking from everyone else. It is thinking of a one-way-out solution to your problems and creating a no-way-out problem for your parents or friends who could lay sleepless for the rest of their lifes asking if it was their fault, or if there was something they could've done to stop you from killing yourself.

I didn't call anyone a coward for killing themselves. NIETHER did I call them weak. Don't put words in my mouth when you are arguing with me, especially ones like those. Rick Rypien's case is much different than Amanda Todd's. And to be honest, I don't know the specifics on Rick Rypien's case, but I imagine they aren't anything like Amanda Todd's, so that is about as far as I will go with that paragraph.

"Heh - was your point that we don't sympathize with them or that they don't get front page news? (maybe a combo of the two?)"

"Oh and I love the whole, if there's something worse out there, it means this isn't important argument. Yes there are starving kids in Africa, but that doesn't mean this issue isn't worth discussing."

That last bit was just something to think about. It wasn't the point of the argument. The point of the argument was described in the preceding text.

So...

"If it was that we don't sympathize with them, then.... yeah, of course not. How can we? I've never had to fight for my life for food in a world where even access to clean drinking water is a struggle. I have however been subject to ridicule and bullying, online and otherwise (always, of course, in a FIRST world country), and can therefore sympathize to that... because I've had experience... hence the context of the word "sympathize".

If you're talking front page news then I suggest you find an alternative news group. Does the name Malala ring any bells?

Else If, you still think I've missed your point AND/OR called you out personally /slash/ ridiculed you for being heartless and a horrible person, please refer to my "/sarcasm" tag. Present me with an obvious argument and I will present you with an obvious conflicting argument"

and...

"Stupidest thing I've ever read. So we should just forget about any local news and have international news all over our local news paper. If you want to read about world events, then use different media outlets. There is always and will always be starving children in Africa and am sure everyone in the world is informed about that and the living condition there. Why should there be a 24 hour coverage of what is going on in 3rd world countries and what is happening in Africa when we also have our own problems and politics that needs to be covered locally?"

Is not at all what I am implying. Sorry if you somehow managed to infer that as the main argument of my post.

"Also blaming the victim because of her decision or mistake is stupid when the victim was only 12 years old at that time. If you are blaming the victim, then you are also okay with child molestation."

And that is where I stopped reading.

That is a ridiculous statement. I'm not even going to bother responding to that. You are arguing by making very bold assumptions of A LOT of people, and I really don't appreciate that. If you have a point to make, make restate it.

Sorry if I didn't address all those points as thoroughly as you may've liked, there were a lot of responses on my post as you can probably tell and I have to get going somewhere so I really don't have time to read through this carefully. Excuse any typos\grammar errors please.

I was responding to several posts at once. I think that is fairly standard when one person is responding to multiple posts. I could not use the quote blocks as they would exceed the max amount allowed in a post. Quotes are enclosed in " and have response following them.

Then you will do so ignorantly and arrogently. You will develop a perspective on something without even considering the opposing argument.

You aren't worth my time anyway if that is how you think.

I probably sound horrible for saying this, but why does everyone care so much? I mean, people kill themselves because of bullying every day, and nobody gives a **** about them. Is it just because she made a Youtube video or is there some other reason? Personally i think that people are going to far by calling her an "angel" and a "saint" because she clearly wasn't. She showed her body and slept with guys when she was 15. What i am saying is, why don't we react like this every time a kid kills himself because of bullying? Why the big reaction for this one case? Just my opinion.

I probably sound horrible for saying this, but why does everyone care so much? I mean, people kill themselves because of bullying every day, and nobody gives a **** about them. Is it just because she made a Youtube video or is there some other reason? Personally i think that people are going to far by calling her an "angel" and a "saint" because she clearly wasn't. She showed her body and slept with guys when she was 15. What i am saying is, why don't we react like this every time a kid kills himself because of bullying? Why the big reaction for this one case? Just my opinion.

Why not this one? I agree it should be everyone but the facts are this one did make a youtube video and did bring what she did and what was happening to her to light. What she did was a mistake; which she acknowledged, but the fact is she did bring her situation to light and hopefully that can help bring other peoples situations to light be that the bullied or the bullies.

People who think this is more about Amanda Todd than it is about the situation are misguided in their opinion; in my opinion. A lot of people end up being the namesakes for things that they were simply a trigger for. Hopefully Amanda Todd is a trigger for something much greater than just herself or the issues surrounding her life and death. The problem will be if their are enough cynical people out there who just let this go up in smoke and pretend there was no fire under it; some might assume your opinion would be part of that but it does at the very least focus on the wrong aspect of this. A young girl died and that is very tragic but on a greater scale it doesn't matter if it doesn't impact the actual problem(s).

Why does everyone care so much about this one? "Why" doesn't matter; I will repeat what does matter which is why not?

Fair enough, just trying to get some opinions. You are right about the fact that she is more of a trigger, but the fact is these triggers (there have been a few) always seem to be an attractive female aged around 15-17. I can't remember her name, but about 5-6 months ago there was a girl who did the same thing with the flash cards. I'm just saying why is it always that type of person, never some "ugly, nerdy kid". Are people that shallow that they will only talk about these things because someone who was "beautiful" did it? Just saying that you never ever see these things explode when a kid like this did it, and i find that sad.

50_epic_super_nerd_photos_16_20090723_1452604904.jpg

BTW this kid was just a photo i found on google and i don't know him and to my knowledge didn't commit suicide.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but related to this issue, watch the movie "Trust" with Clive Owen, Catherine Keener and an unreal performance by Liana Liberato... I just happened to randomly watch this movie last night while checking around Telus video on demand.

It came out in 2010 but it is almost as if it was based partially on Amanda Todd's story... Powerful, intense movie.

Archived