The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 13 - CDC Sim Connected [PS3 SIM LEAGUE] pt 3

DollarAndADream

Poll Regarding Player Rental Trades  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@TSNDaveHodge What has Ovechkin been eating? The kid's on fire with 18 points in his last 10 games, looks like the top line has finally awoken in Washington; Capitals' fans have been waiting 2 years for this. Will that momentum be enough to earn them a playoff spot?

@TSNBobMacKenzie The Washington Capitals are the hottest team in the league right now winning 5 in a row and 8-1-1 in their last 10. Have they peaked to early? Will their big guns continue to produce? Only time will tell.

@TSNPierreMcGuire Ovechkin's a MONSTTTEERRRR!!!!

@TSNDarrenDreger The Washington have flown out of no where down the stretch moving from 10th in to that final spot. Will Panthers and Islanders make a strong push? The Islanders are 3 points out with one game in hand; Florida is nipping at their toes with only 1 point behind.

@TSNJamesDuthie If the Capitals do make the playoffs, other teams will need to watch out.

@MikeMilbury blah blah blah Bruins... blah blah blah

Clearly this Mike Smith didn't show up most of the season. He's stoning my team left right and center right now :( 0-0 halfway through the 2nd. NSH win would result in clinching a playoff spot.

And with a 2-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings, the Nashville Predators officially clinch a playoff spot in the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Season is over.

Standings:

1. Edmonton 108

2. Anaheim 106

3. St Louis 101

4. Dallas 105

5. Colorado 102

6. Calgary 100

7. Columbus 99

8. Nashville 97

--------------------

9. Chicago 87

10. Detroit 85

11. Vancouver 82

12. Phoenix 81

13. San Jose 78

14. Minnesota 67

15. Los Angeles 66

Eastern:

1. Carolina 110

2. Pittsburgh 98

3. Boston 97

4. Buffalo 96

5. Montreal 96

6. Washington 95

7. Winnipeg 95

8. New York Rangers 90

---------------------

9. New York Islanders 88

10. Florida 87

11. Ottawa 84

12. New Jersey 81

13. Philadelphia 80

14. Tampa Bay 71

15. Toronto 63

Point Leaders:

1. Gustav Nyquist 88p

2. Michael Grabner 80p

3. Patrick Kane 79p

4. Nathan Gerbe 79p

5. Jordan Eberle 77p

Goal Leaders:

1. Jordan Eberle 40g

2. Michael Grabner 37g

3. Alex Ovechkin 36g

4. Taylor Hall 35g

5. Phil Kessel 33g

We are thinking about changing our UFA rules again because many of us feel that all the good UFAs will continue to be rentals year after year.

We've come up with a few ideas.

#1 the same team can't offer another one year deal to the same rental player (they may offer a multi year deal)

#2 no one year deals can be offered to anyone 82 and over, or 4 or more green/yellow stars

#3 no one year deals can be offered to anyone 82 and over, or 4 or more green/yellow stars that is under 35 (players 35+ can be offered 1 year deals)

Some teams are really just looking for a one year fix, but we also don't want to see all the good players being continuously offered one year deals over and over again.

What are your guys' thoughts? Should we make a change? Or should we try it again another year and see what happens this time around?

We are thinking about changing our UFA rules again because many of us feel that all the good UFAs will continue to be rentals year after year.

We've come up with a few ideas.

#1 the same team can't offer another one year deal to the same rental player (they may offer a multi year deal)

#2 no one year deals can be offered to anyone 82 and over, or 4 or more green/yellow stars

#3 no one year deals can be offered to anyone 82 and over, or 4 or more green/yellow stars that is under 35 (players 35+ can be offered 1 year deals)

Some teams are really just looking for a one year fix, but we also don't want to see all the good players being continuously offered one year deals over and over again.

What are your guys' thoughts? Should we make a change? Or should we try it again another year and see what happens this time around?

Eh, I think that one is a bit much. We have enough rules governing UFA, and we've already proven that a lot of names are going to make it to free agency. I'd be more concerned if, say, I was in a situation where I had 6m available, needed a top line winger to play with Toews and Ryan, but both of them were due for contracts at seasons end. My only option would be to either sign someone 35 and over, sign someone multi-year and possibly lose my stars, or go on without, and then you're just punishing someone for knowing their cap situation well enough to plan for it. I'm definitely against the gross overpayments to players, and I think the 1 year/82 OVR rule that we have in place is pretty solid and almost entirely covers what you're trying to defend against.

Additionally, one day I'll have a 33 year old Toews asking for a renewal. My concern when I was signing him was that I'd rather lose him than end up paying him 12m when he's a 35 year old 84. So, if Toews falls to an 84 at 33, and asks 7m, as his owner shouldn't I have the right to offer him a short term deal so I can manage his performance decline?

tl;dr: There's a lot of rules for UFA already, putting in rules to how we can re-sign our own players is too much. IMO.

ETA: If you want precedent, I'll refer you to Marian Hossa's 1 year shot with the Red Wings as proof that elite players would consider signing on for a single year for their own personal reasons.

Archived