14 replies to this topic

#1 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

I am planning to order a set of goalie gear online and ship it to my friend's po box in Blaine. I was just wondering if someone has had experiences with this kind of thing and can help me out.

I want to know if I have to pay any duty or taxed when going back to Canada at the border after picking up my package. The purchase will probably be around $500. Do I not pay anything because I purchased it and made the transaction online or do I pay something at the border?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nd84, 25 December 2012 - 02:12 AM.

Posted Image

#2 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,109 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Stay at your friends house for a night and then go back the next morning, you should be fine.

If you decide to just grab it and bring it back, you'll most likely be fine too. Canadian border guards care a lot less about how much you spent and are usually pretty lenient.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#3 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Stay at your friends house for a night and then go back the next morning, you should be fine.

If you decide to just grab it and bring it back, you'll most likely be fine too. Canadian border guards care a lot less about how much you spent and are usually pretty lenient.

My friend that lives in B.C.has a PO Box in the U.S.

My question is also the fact that the day I would pick it up is technically not the day I pay the $500+ so I shouldn't get taxed for it right?
Posted Image

#4 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Online matters not.

Value of goods and time out of country does.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#5 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

They don't care

I claim everything I bring back & never have problems. I tell them I'll be down there for 15 minutes, going to Ship Happens (crossing from Abby) pick up a product, say website I got it from. On the way back say the same thing, show them the invoice & done.

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#6 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I order stuff all the time to my brother's PO box... You're subject to all taxes as anybody else would be. That said, I've never been taxed before... So it's just your luck of the draw.

I'd say with a bigger purchase like that, you'd have an elevated chance of getting taxed though.

#7 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

My friend that lives in B.C.has a PO Box in the U.S.

My question is also the fact that the day I would pick it up is technically not the day I pay the $500+ so I shouldn't get taxed for it right?

And no, that's not the way it works. It's just like travelling to another country by air or sea... You have to fill out those declaration forms stating what the value of foreign goods you're bringing in... You're just declaring it verbally to an agent.

Print off an extra reciept before you head down in case your package doesn't come with one, and BE HONEST with the border guards.

#8 Nighthawk07

Nighthawk07

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

http://www.cbsa-asfc...sf5056-eng.html
Stealing, stealing, stealing a car for Moe. Something, something, something, something, Insurance fraud today!!

#9 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

They don't care

I claim everything I bring back & never have problems. I tell them I'll be down there for 15 minutes, going to Ship Happens (crossing from Abby) pick up a product, say website I got it from. On the way back say the same thing, show them the invoice & done.

How much were those products though? I'll prolly have the invoice and everything but do you think the I'll get taxed because of the $500 price tag?
Posted Image

#10 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

hide the goalie pads in your pants. hopefully they wont notice
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#11 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

It all depends so you will never know

Although the greater amount purchased the more likely you are to pay

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#12 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

How much were those products though? I'll prolly have the invoice and everything but do you think the I'll get taxed because of the $500 price tag?

It's more likely you'll get taxed based on your high declaration paired with no exemption (don't try to work around this, you'd be taking a huge risk). Logically, taxing is revenue for the government, so they'd be more inclined to tax someone with a large value of goods coming in rather than someone with a smaller amount (of which it's not "worth it" to do the paperwork).

The only thing you have going for you (granted these goods were made in the U.S.) is that there is no duty for sports equipment, just HST. That means you're only eligible to get taxed up to 12% of your declared value.

Now, this all means nothing... because I don't work for the CBSA, and I also don't decide how lucky you are that day.

#13 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I think my highest was $250 then another $60 in gas. I have brought things back from Bellingham after going for the day in excess of $400 with one other friend. My mom goes down once a month to Costco and brings back over a $1000 in groceries, but that's groceries I'm not sure if those matter. They are strict on dairy products, $20 per person if you're going down for the day.

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#14 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just declare it at the border. There's a good chance the officer doesn't send you in to pay taxes.

But it is $500 so you're stretching it. It doesn't matter when you paid for it, it's when you bring the item across in to Canada you have to pay. And yes you would have to pay at the border before you can bring the item across.

Why didn't you just get it shipped to Canada? I bought Harman Kardon surround sound system from the US, got it shipped to my house. Much more than $500.00

#15 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

I believe that everything is taxed but you're not bringing that much back...you should be fine and if they tax you it'll be around $50.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.