The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Picking Up a Package (Goalie Gear) From a U.S. PO Box Question

nd84

I am planning to order a set of goalie gear online and ship it to my friend's po box in Blaine. I was just wondering if someone has had experiences with this kind of thing and can help me out.

I want to know if I have to pay any duty or taxed when going back to Canada at the border after picking up my package. The purchase will probably be around $500. Do I not pay anything because I purchased it and made the transaction online or do I pay something at the border?

Thanks in advance!

Stay at your friends house for a night and then go back the next morning, you should be fine.

If you decide to just grab it and bring it back, you'll most likely be fine too. Canadian border guards care a lot less about how much you spent and are usually pretty lenient.

They don't care

I claim everything I bring back & never have problems. I tell them I'll be down there for 15 minutes, going to Ship Happens (crossing from Abby) pick up a product, say website I got it from. On the way back say the same thing, show them the invoice & done.

I order stuff all the time to my brother's PO box... You're subject to all taxes as anybody else would be. That said, I've never been taxed before... So it's just your luck of the draw.

I'd say with a bigger purchase like that, you'd have an elevated chance of getting taxed though.

They don't care

I claim everything I bring back & never have problems. I tell them I'll be down there for 15 minutes, going to Ship Happens (crossing from Abby) pick up a product, say website I got it from. On the way back say the same thing, show them the invoice & done.

Just declare it at the border. There's a good chance the officer doesn't send you in to pay taxes.

But it is $500 so you're stretching it. It doesn't matter when you paid for it, it's when you bring the item across in to Canada you have to pay. And yes you would have to pay at the border before you can bring the item across.

Why didn't you just get it shipped to Canada? I bought Harman Kardon surround sound system from the US, got it shipped to my house. Much more than $500.00

Archived