The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tor-Van Multi player Trade

So, " IF " Toronto is the best trading partner, I would like to see something like this;

To Toronto..........Luongo

Ballard

Raymond

Schroeder

2013 3nd Round

To Van.................Connelly

Kadri

Gardiner

Rights to Cody Franson

2013 2nd Round

For Toronto they get an allstar goalie,in Ballard they get a defenceman that could use a change of scenery and has played much better when in the east, a fast multi use player in Raymond that can play pp/pk/2 line/3line and has scored 25 goals in a season, an AHLer in Schroeder that hasn't lved up to potential, and the 3rd rounder to even it up a little.

To Vancouver they get a rental in Connelly (UFA at seasons end), Kadri a potential 2 line player, Gardiner a # 3 or 4 defenceman with some PP potential, Cody Franson who will probably sign for around 1.2 million ( Hometown discount ), and a 2nd rounder that will probably be around 45th over all, in a deep draft.

* With the pick up of both Gardiner and Franson, we should be able to either sign Edler at a decent cost or ship him off for a first and a top end prospect. ( which would be my choice )

** With the new CBA there could be a agreement where the Canucks pick up a portion of the last couple of years of his contract.

OK Flame away!

So, " IF " Toronto is the best trading partner, I would like to see something like this;

To Toronto..........Luongo

Ballard

Raymond

Schroeder

2013 3nd Round

To Van.................Connelly

Kadri

Gardiner

Rights to Cody Franson

2013 2nd Round

For Toronto they get an allstar goalie,in Ballard they get a defenceman that could use a change of scenery and has played much better when in the east, a fast multi use player in Raymond that can play pp/pk/2 line/3line and has scored 25 goals in a season, an AHLer in Schroeder that hasn't lved up to potential, and the 3rd rounder to even it up a little.

To Vancouver they get a rental in Connelly (UFA at seasons end), Kadri a potential 2 line player, Gardiner a # 3 or 4 defenceman with some PP potential, Cody Franson who will probably sign for around 1.2 million ( Hometown discount ), and a 2nd rounder that will probably be around 45th over all, in a deep draft.

* With the pick up of both Gardiner and Franson, we should be able to either sign Edler at a decent cost or ship him off for a first and a top end prospect. ( which would be my choice )

** With the new CBA there could be a agreement where the Canucks pick up a portion of the last couple of years of his contract.

OK Flame away!

No flames, but some observations and thoughts:

1.) That's a heck of a lot of cap going to Toronto with Luongo and Ballard, while the Canucks have no real amount of cap other than what they'll have to pay Kadri and Gardiner in a year or so.

You'll likely get some folks suggesting that you'd have to include Tanev rather than Ballard, both for cap reasons and age.

Yes, I could go with trading Tanev instead of Ballard, but my thinking was that what we are sending in general has been higher up the mountain than any of the leafs involved, and although I want Gardiner, there is no guarantee he will keep improving, so I was giving Toronto skill for contract $$$

2.) I'd be inclined to skew the picks in the deal. Toronto's pick would be a 1st in 2014 and the Vancouver pick a 2nd in 2013. This would make this part of the deal a bit more palatable to Leafs fans, and the Canucks will still likely get a pretty decent player with the leafs 1st in 2014.

3.) I'd include a conditional 2014 pick to the Leafs if Raymond doesn't re-sign with them (perhaps a 5th?).

I thought about that too, but with there being no lottery picks, and Toronto obviously getting more point, I wasn't as concerned that Toronto would be burnt with the loss of pick, but you could still make it conditional by making it out of the top 3 picks and negociate from there, possibly top 5 in 2013

4.) If the Canucks are going to accept back a salary cap dump/rental player, I think I'd prefer Bozak. I suspect that there's likely little chance that the Canucks would try to re-sign Connolly, and a much better chance that they'd try to re-sign Bozak. And if the Canucks were to try and re-sign either of these guys (depending on who was in the deal), then Bozak could likely be had for a cheaper price.

The reason for Connelly was that he makes it easier for Toronto to let go of young talent aka Gardiner and Kadri, and doesn't really hurt us, because he gone at the end of the year. ( It isn't so much what we get here, but what Toronto keeps )

5.) I have some doubts that Franson would want to sign here. He'd look at the depth in front of him, and unless Edler left for greener pastures (or he was traded or there was an injury) he'd see that he'd be a bottom pairing guy here for quite some time. I suspect he'd choose to accept a qualifying offer from the Canucks and move on at his first opportunity. I have no problems with this as he would have to do what he feels is best for his career.

I think for me, I look at Edler as an unknown in regards to whether he will sign with us, and by aquiring Gardiner, we have a replacement for Edler ( the same not now, but put Gardiner with the Canucks and maybe he bags 10 or 15 more point a season with some pp time )

I also see Edler bringing back a high end prospect/draft picks/player upgrade or a combination of.......either way it would up grade our team and could get us that next bonafide young first line centre.

If he is included in the deal, he might be able to be packaged with additional assets and moved to another team for something the Canucks will need (maybe a good bottom pairing d-man at a reasonable cap hit, a solid prospect or even a high pick).

Franson then might see it better to play a #5 on a contender, than a #4 on a bottom dweller, and don't forget the fact he is from here, and there could be a hometown discount down the road somewhere. But I don't have a problem with your idea of packaging him up for something better or rather something that fits out need better.

6.) While it might be nice if Gillis was to be able to get Gardiner in this deal, I'm not holding my breath. :P

Me neither, but it would make us stronger, younger and fill our future needs, as for Toronto. I believe they get the best player in the trade, and Raymond and Ballard would be regulars with Toronto, the fact that they have Reilly and several other defensmen coming soon, makes the trade more believable.

It is also the total plan that excites me more than anything, including the fact that it would open up the ability to move Edler and what that brings back. PS Thanks for your post.....made me think and now I am more certain than ever.

Cheers

regards,

G.

Archived