Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Kulikov still in Russia, far from deal.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Defenseman Dmitry Kulikov isn't at camp as he remains an unsigned restricted free agent. Kulikov went to Russia to play for Yaroslavl Lokamotiv, his childhood team, and is reportedly still in his hometown.

Dale Tallon didn't speak to the media on Sunday but said Thursday that he was speaking to Kulikov's agent on a daily basis.

http://miamiherald.t...ondays-sch.html

The Florida Panthers and Dmitry Kulikov are still far apart on a contract extension.
That’s the word out of Sunrise on Tuesday as assistant GM Mike Santos told the Sun Sentinel the club isn’t close to a deal with the RFA defenseman, adding he hasn’t talked to Kulikov’s agent in 48 hours.

It should be noted that, because the Panthers tendered him a qualifying offer, Kulikov is still a restricted free agent. That means teams can submit an offer sheet to him at any time.

http://prohockeytalk...lose-to-a-deal/

#2 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

PLEASE GMMG PLEASE PLEASE ONE OF MY FAVOURITE GUYS COME ON PLEASE

#3 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Oops. Lost my cool.

#4 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Are his RFA rights available to be traded? Or could he only be acquired now by a sign-and-trade or offer sheet? Either way, I think that he is a heck of a young player and would love for the Canucks to at least ask about this guy. Reminds me of a younger Edler.

Edited by Hamhuis2, 17 January 2013 - 12:00 AM.

Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#5 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Last year's stats: 4 goals, 28 points, -5 in 58 games. (Pace for 40 points/82 games)

This year's stats: 3 goals, 6 points in 22 KHL games. (As a comparison, the leading offensive defenseman on the team has 18 points, 44 games)

#6 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Left handed. 22. 6'1, 196 pounds.

#7 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Makes me wonder how much $$ he's asking for.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

No thanks. I want players that wanna play in the NHL, not ones that will only come here if the money is better.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

intersting..
Posted Image

#10 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

No thanks. I want players that wanna play in the NHL, not ones that will only come here if the money is better.

Oh. Like that time Kulikov paid to buy himself out of a contract to come to America of the North as a 18 year old (well, he was already here, but to play in the NHL)? How do you know it's about money. He isn't playing in the KHL anymore, he just hasn't flown over here yet. Jamie Benn hasn't signed either, what would you say about him?

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 17 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#11 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Makes me wonder how much $$ he's asking for.

Wonder if it has to do more about the team. Garrison is gone. Gudbranson is hurt. They have no offensive power, Kovy, Svatos and even Kostitsyn were invited to camp out of desperation... Lots of pressure for a 22 year old, does he want to sign a multi year contract on a team that is currently not-so hot??

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Oh. Like that time Kulikov paid to buy himself out of a contract to come to America of the North as a 18 year old (well, he was already here, but to play in the NHL)? How do you know it's about money. He isn't playing in the KHL anymore, he just hasn't flown over here yet. Jamie Benn hasn't signed either, what would you say about him?

Somehow I don't see Benn going over to Russia and playing.

I didn't say I blamed the guy. Why wouldn't you wanna play for your home town team? Especially if they're willing to give him lots of incentives to stay there.

It's just a scary thought to have a player that can basically bolt on you any time they feel like it.

Posted Image

#13 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Maybe be garrisons partner? Move Edler with Ballard and Hamhuis with bieksa.

Kulikov, bjugstad and shore for luongo Sauve and a pick

#14 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

#15 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I didn't say I blamed the guy. Why wouldn't you wanna play for your home town team? Especially if they're willing to give him lots of incentives to stay there.

It's just a scary thought to have a player that can basically bolt on you any time they feel like it.

So anyone then?? Anyone can leave if they feel like it. Kulikov only left because of the lock out, isn't playing for his KHL team anymore and is waiting for a contract before he buys a flight to North America.. not too strange to me.

Kulikov is outstanding and I would love to see him in Vancouver.

#16 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

I agree, I'm always hesitant about Russian players now since they have the KHL now. Like you said, who wouldn't want to get paid more and play for your home town?

However, I believe Kulikov is pretty Westernized, he played in the QMJHL and has played for Florida the last 3 years. I like him because his stats have improved every year for the last three years, and his defensive awareness has also improved. Keep in mind that while Florida has been pretty bad the last 3 years(had a decent year last year) and is only a -15 in that timeframe (-5,-5,-5). Not bad for a 22 year old kid playing on a team that generally comes 10-15th in their conference.

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)

#17 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Depending, maybe Ballard would also be moved along with Luongo if Kulikov was brought in. Anyway, it's all a pipedream, but I'll go with it anyway

Luongo
Raymond

for

Kulikov
Shore
Theodore

and then

Ballard to Dallas for a 4th or so

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Kulikov - Vandermeer

No pressure on the young guy, room to develop, surrounded by skill, but capacity/ability to move up if called upon..

#18 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'll give it a go:

Edler+Raymond

for

Kulikov+Bjugstad

Doubt Florida accepts, maybe if Edler is signed to a long-term deal. Considering Kulikov's upside (same as Edler IMO) and the fact that we get a blue-chipper in Bjugstad, I think this would be a sweet deal for the Canucks.

#19 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

So anyone then?? Anyone can leave if they feel like it. Kulikov only left because of the lock out, isn't playing for his KHL team anymore and is waiting for a contract before he buys a flight to North America.. not too strange to me.

Kulikov is outstanding and I would love to see him in Vancouver.

No, Russians are more likely to leave because the KHL will offer the top players competitive salaries to stay over there.

Those guys are treated like gods everywhere they go over there.

Ovechkin said it himself. If the NHL was going to cut back his salary any more than they did, he would have rather just stayed in Russia with his family and friends.

And of course I would want him here. If he wanted to be here long term.

Edited by DeNiro, 17 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

No, Russians are more likely to leave because the KHL will offer the top players competitive salaries to stay over there.

Those guys are treated like gods everywhere they go over there.

Ovechkin said it himself. If the NHL was going to cut back his salary any more than they did, he would have rather just stayed in Russia with his family and friends.

And of course I would want him here. If he wanted to be here long term.

Well, I think all signs point to him wanting to stay in NA besides the "ov" at the end of his name.

#21 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

PLEASE GMMG PLEASE PLEASE ONE OF MY FAVOURITE GUYS COME ON PLEASE

We have 9 D signed....not happening.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#22 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,439 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

He's 22 and already has over 200 games of NHL experience.

"Because his base salary of $810,000 — total salary of $900,000 minus signing bonus of $90,000 — is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer."

A qualifying offer of $850k surely wasn't going to get it done.

I wouldn't be too quick to chalk this up to Kulikov (or being Russian) - the Panthers are a budget franchise... it's not hard to see some difficulty coming to terms.

#23 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Big loss to the Panthers.

Pay the man.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#24 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I could see the Panthers wanting to dump some salary on us in order to afford Kulikov's raise and Luongo.

Florida obviously has an internal cap, so they may need to make a trade just to reach it. I can't see them spending another 9-10 million on salary, not when they're already well over the cap floor.

Candidates:

Versteeg
Upshall
Jovanovski

Unlikelies:

Campbell
Weiss
Fleischmann

Posted Image

#25 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I could see the Panthers wanting to dump some salary on us in order to afford Kulikov's raise and Luongo.

Florida obviously has an internal cap, so they may need to make a trade just to reach it. I can't see them spending another 9-10 million on salary, not when they're already well over the cap floor.

Candidates:

Versteeg
Upshall
Jovanovski

Unlikelies:

Campbell
Weiss
Fleischmann

These two in particular I think. Versteeg is still a productive winger and is young, doubt they will want to move him. Jovocop, while making over 4m for the next few seasons, is still a fan favourite in Florida, and I'm not sure if he has a no trade clause or not, but at this point of his career I doubt he wants to move.

That leaves us with Upshall. Firstly, I'd like to say that I believe Upshall is a good third line player, but he is simply not worth his 3.5m price tag. On this note, I believe that he would be a perfect player coming back to Vancouver in a Luongo trade. The Canucks could then proceed to buy him out, or, if there's room, keep him as depth for a long playoff run.

Something like this wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility:

Luongo

for

Gubranson+Upshall

I think this trade benefits both teams. While we give up Luongo, we also get one of the top d prospects in the league back. Gubranson has huge potential, and can either play bottom pairing for us now or play big minutes in the AHL. Florida might be willing to do this since they get a fan favourite back in Lu, lose Upshall's nasty contract, and they have enough prospect depth to trade Gubranson (Petrovic, Ellerby, Kulikov). Florida also sheds about 1m in cap in this deal, maybe enough to sign Kulikov to a long term deal of around 4m/year?

Edited by Hamhuis2, 17 January 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#26 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,457 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'm sick of hearing about this dislike towards Russians for "bolting" to the KHL. It's rediculous. No one just ups and goes off to play in the KHL if they're signed and have a contract with an NHL team, and not many players prefer a KHL contract over an NHL contract. The only guy that comes to mind is Radulov - that's it.

The lockout and difficulty communicating in such a short window is why free agents are still in Russia playing in the KHL, not because they'd rather be there than playing for the Stanley Cup. Don't blame the player, blame the league for locking out its players. It's unrealistic to expect a free agent to sign within a few days of the lockout being lifted anyway.

As for Kulikov, he is one skilled defenceman who would boost any team's defence and will be signed eventually.
Posted Image

#27 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Dale Tallon LOLs and puts the phone down.

#28 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

He's 22 and already has over 200 games of NHL experience.

"Because his base salary of $810,000 — total salary of $900,000 minus signing bonus of $90,000 — is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer."

A qualifying offer of $850k surely wasn't going to get it done.

I wouldn't be too quick to chalk this up to Kulikov (or being Russian) - the Panthers are a budget franchise... it's not hard to see some difficulty coming to terms.

Exactly and signing long term with a 'budget' franchise probably isn't that appealing if you want a good chance at winning the cup every year. How many rounds of playoffs has Florida seen in the last 7 years?? And they're looking like they'll miss them again this year unless Huberdeau is a miracle worker.

So, maybe Tallon wants him on a 4-6 year deal and Kulikov wants a 2-3 year deal, so he can see his options again soon. I wouldn't blame him.

#29 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

However, TFP (reliable??) posted this this morning:

The native of Lipetsk, Russia, is believed to be looking for a long-term deal worth in the neighborhood of $3 million per season after his three-year, entry-level contract expired this past summer.

Edit: 3 million is totally fair for a defenseman who was on pace for 40 points last year and is a solid checker. Edler got 3.25 after a 37 season, factor in Edler was on a better team and that there's been inflation, Kulikov would be getting 3.6-3.8 on a 4 year deal on the open market no questions asked, if he's asking for 3-3.5, Tallon should be hopping on that quick.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 17 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#30 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Definitely would be a nice player to have.

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod
Here's a look at the Top 5 Unsigned Restricted Free Agents... could any sign this weekend? http://www.thefourth...x.html …

in the link he gives some comparables for Kulikov's next contract:

ERIK JOHNSON
4-years, $15 million

LUKE SCHENN
5-years, $18 million

JOHNNY BOYCHUK
3-years, $10.1 million

So right around 3.5, which I would think is right on the money over a 2-4 year deal.

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 17 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.