The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Queen of the North Criminal Negligence Trial Underway

YaK

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/sinking-trial-hears-b-c-ferry-wasn-t-staffed-according-to-federal-rules-1.78103

"The Queen of the North's former first officer, Richard St. Pierre, is under cross-examination at the trial for fourth officer Karl Lilgert, who is charged with criminal negligence causing the deaths of two passengers in March 2006.

St. Pierre has been shown a BC Ferries document that indicates three people were required to be on the ferry's bridge, though he says not all officers interpretated those rules in the same way.

St. Pierre says he routinely staffed the bridge with only two people navigating and steering the ship at night, because if a third person staffed the bridge, then other work wouldn't get done.

On the night of the sinking, only Lilgert, who was in charge of navigation, and quartermaster Karen Bricker, whose role was to steer the ship, were on the bridge when it crashed.

St. Pierre has told court that BC Ferries now has more clear requirements requiring at least three people on the bridge, as the defence makes a case that inadequate policies and poor equipment led to the fatal crash."

Get 5 captains to read a set of rules and you can end up with anywhere between 1 and 6 interpretations.

http://www.timescolo...l-rules-1.78103

"The Queen of the North's former first officer, Richard St. Pierre, is under cross-examination at the trial for fourth officer Karl Lilgert, who is charged with criminal negligence causing the deaths of two passengers in March 2006.

St. Pierre has been shown a BC Ferries document that indicates three people were required to be on the ferry's bridge, though he says not all officers interpretated those rules in the same way.

St. Pierre says he routinely staffed the bridge with only two people navigating and steering the ship at night, because if a third person staffed the bridge, then other work wouldn't get done.

On the night of the sinking, only Lilgert, who was in charge of navigation, and quartermaster Karen Bricker, whose role was to steer the ship, were on the bridge when it crashed.

St. Pierre has told court that BC Ferries now has more clear requirements requiring at least three people on the bridge, as the defence makes a case that inadequate policies and poor equipment led to the fatal crash."

Get 5 captains to read a set of rules and you can end up with anywhere between 1 and 6 interpretations.

I know Richard and I think his comment of "routinely staffing the bridge with two people" is important.

The fact is, the Prince Rupert to Port Hardy run had been made several times without incident, using this same amount of people. It's only because of the massive screw-up by Bricker and Lilgert that staffing (and training, or lack thereof) is now an issue.

By all means, the three person rule should be followed from here on in, but it does not exhonerate either lilgert or Bricker, IMO.

• 2 months later...

Karl Lilgart was found guilty on 2 counts of criminal negligence.

Maximum sentence is life in prison. Though that is doubful.

The prosecution said the officer was distracted by either an argument or sex with his former female partner.

I just did a presentation on this topic, and she is definitely guilty. I'm still wondering as to how those two passengers can be claimed as missing. I mean where else could they be, unless hate to say it, but eaten.

The story to what caused the captain to be negligent, is too inconsistent. BC Ferries is lucky that it has monopoly.

I just did a presentation on this topic, and she is definitely guilty. I'm still wondering as to how those two passengers can be claimed as missing. I mean where else could they be, unless hate to say it, but eaten.

The story to what caused the captain to be negligent, is too inconsistent. BC Ferries is lucky that it has monopoly.

• 1 month later...

The officer in charge of the bridge was sentenced to 4 years in jail by the judge today.

"The man who was on the bridge when the Queen of the North crashed into Gill Island will serve time in a federal prison.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Sunni Stromberg-Stein has sentenced Karl Lilgert to four years in jail after he was convicted of criminal negligence causing death.

The judge concluded that Lilgert's relationship with quartermaster Karen Briker played a role in the accident, which led to the disappearance and presumed death of passengers Gerald Foisy and Shirley Rosette in 2006.

The Crown sought a six-year sentence, whereas defence lawyer Glen Orris asked for a conditional sentence of two years less a day, which Ligert could serve at home."

Archived