The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comprehensive list of trade destinations for Luongo.

I disagree, I don't think Ballard is getting easier minutes, I think they were playing just as important minutes, and handling them alot better than Bieksa was.

The reasoning is, now that Edler can play the right side with Hamhuis, we don't need him on the top pair, and Tanev and Ballard are perfectly capable of playing top 4 minutes. Bieksa would yield us far more in return aswell.

This is if Bieksa continues to be inconsistent and Ballard and Tanev continue to play lights out, then we can get a nice return and move forward with a top 4 built around:

Hamhuis - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Garrison - ?

But if we trade Luongo and don't take cap back, like say we get young players like Johansson for example, we can then let 2 of Raymond/Higgins/Lappierre go, hold onto our 5 big money Dmen and slot the younger guys in, I have looked on it on cap geek and if we don't take money or much money back for Lu, there is a way we can keep all of our very important players.

Here's the shorthand of a post I made in the /topic/339487-ballard-has-been-screwed-over-by-av/page__p__11113893#entry11113893">"Ballard has been screwed by AV" thread:

He's gotten nearly 2 minutes more than he was getting last year, but the quality of competition is still pretty low. That's by design just like when Hodgson was getting showcased prior to the trade last year. Not saying they're doing this to trade him, but it's certainly helping that he and Tanev get easier minutes that the other pairings.

You can also see Bieksa's getting tougher minutes but has about a minute less TOI per game. He's still going to help us more offensively and at least be similar (but more likely better) defensively so I'd much rather keep him that Ballard, especially since he's our top RH shot.

It'd be nice to maximize some return that way and allow us to get better without selling off in other areas, but I don't think it makes as much sense as the alternative, at least without a significant replacement. Edler's been so so on the right in the past as well as this year and Tanev hasn't found his offensive game to be given a top 4 spot yet.

Our biggest return without major changes to our roster still comes from a goalie trade.

We'll agree to disagree on Ballard vs Bieksa before we derail this from the Luongo discussion, but the second set of numbers is Corsi QoC, from the player stats at BehindTheNet.ca. I don't remember if you're familiar with advanced stat or not, so it's basically a rating of the Corsi of the opposition they face on the ice, and lower means less effective possession players. Here's the link to the results I posted, sorted by Corsi On-Ice but Corsi QoC is also available.

Archived