The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the faster skater?

Gibbster

Ramyond is fast back and fourth, but he has terrible agility and doesn't manage turns well, which is why you never see him blow by people despite his speed. Hansen is very fast and agile, and I've always figured he's probably quicker than Raymond. That's why you see Hansen break and blow past defenders randomly for his breakaways every now and then. Where Raymond.. well.. doesn't.

For a team that's average age is higher than probably 50% of the league, they do have some speedsters.

MayRay is obviously pretty quick.

Schroeder has shown not only how fast, but how agile he can be.

Kesler has some insane top end speed.

Hansen also has good top speed.

Weise just showed that he's gotten a lot quicker than last year.

Hell, almost anyone on this team can skate at a pretty high end. Sedin's are obviously still a little slow, but are getting better each year. Some of the D are lacking too.

All around though, this team can really push a counter attack fast with their rushing speed.

Good point. I wont argue with anything you said because its true.

He has made an improvement this year for all the reasons stated above.

Maybe I have to change my expectation of him because as you said, he will never fool himself into making a power move against a bigger defender. I guess the fan in me wants to see Raymond take it to another level. Raymond has a god given talent for speed. The way he uses is right now is simply to back up the defence when he gains the zone but I feel like he could do so much more.

I could drop my expectation of him and finally just come to terms that this is it. He will NEVER use his speed to create a scoring chance despite having the toolbox to do it. He will be a perimeter player that chips in for 10-15 goals and relies on his team mates for success.

But if that's the case, I'd rather find someone else as I dont think that will cut it come playoff time

In terms of overall fluidity, technique and speed, Ballard is BY FAR the best skater on this team.

Probably one of the best in the league.

The guy turns skating into a art form, just seems like he's floating and gliding, amazing ability.

For a team that's average age is higher than probably 50% of the league, they do have some speedsters.

MayRay is obviously pretty quick.

Schroeder has shown not only how fast, but how agile he can be.

Kesler has some insane top end speed.

Hansen also has good top speed.

Weise just showed that he's gotten a lot quicker than last year.

Hell, almost anyone on this team can skate at a pretty high end. Sedin's are obviously still a little slow, but are getting better each year. Some of the D are lacking too.

All around though, this team can really push a counter attack fast with their rushing speed.

What a truly enlightening thread, Gibbster!

Seems like you answered your own question in one line.

In all seriousness, I think you're right - plus Schroeder is so much more shifty than Raymond. He's also stronger on his skates, and with better hockey sense.

All in all, he is a better player than Raymond, but Raymond has more NHL experience. Raymond's not bad but he's inconsistent.

You're a douchebag.

Back on topic: This skills competition will be fun to see. Schroeder, Raymond, and Ballard. Hansen is up there, too, and Kesler isn't far behind along with Burrows. We've got a pretty fast team. I really wish our system utilized it...

We'll let Schroeder and MayRay settle it there. I think Schroeder can probably accelerate better. He does weigh less...

Archived