Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#331 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes ,act repentant shed a few tears and everything will be alright.

That is how one purges a contempt citation.

Ms. Soto was accompanied at the counsel table by her family. Her mother looked absolutely mortified by her daughter's behaviour. The serious nature and potential consequences of her actions seem to have been brought home to her.

Here is the video:
http://miami.cbsloca...izes-in-person/
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#332 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ms. Soto was accompanied at the counsel table by her family. Her mother looked absolutely mortified by her daughter's behaviour. The serious nature and potential consequences of her actions seem to have been brought home to her.

Here is the video:

Looks like the judge accomplished exactly what he set out to do. Bravo!!!

(I best be careful how I agree with you from now on, WC....people complain, apparently! :lol:)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 08 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#333 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Here is the video:

I believe it takes more integrity to be honest with myself and others ,rather put on some fake tears and lie to the judge , which is a form of contempt .

So essentialy she has been rewarded for lying , because i do not believe she feels repentant for her actions, she just wants to avoid going to jail.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#334 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Looks like the judge accomplished exactly what he set out to do. Bravo!!!

(I best be careful how I agree with you from now on, WC....people complain, apparently! :lol:)

What can I say...

Posted Image

Mind you they must have missed some of our past disagreements - several of which are best described as Battle Royals, eh???

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#335 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I believe it takes more integrity to be honest with myself and others ,rather put on some fake tears and lie to the judge , which is a form of contempt .

So essentialy she has been rewarded for lying , because i do not believe she feels repentant for her actions, she just wants to avoid going to jail.

I disagree.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

As I opined when this whole incident began...
Posted Image

#336 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I for one hope this boob of a judge isn't behind the bench very much longer. He's had issues with his temper before, I don't understand how that isn't a factor in this case.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#337 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I disagree.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

As I opined when this whole incident began...
Posted Image

She has learned that lieing in court will help prevent you spending time in gaol.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#338 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I for one hope this boob of a judge isn't behind the bench very much longer. He's had issues with his temper before, I don't understand how that isn't a factor in this case.

You do not appear to understand any number of things (including facts and the law/legal principles), despite them being explained in detail to you based on your past CDC history.

The judge IMHO did a fine job in handling Ms. Soto. Hopefully she carries the lesson with her for the rest of her life. She will have no record if she completes her drug rehab program. In that case consider it a success for the "Scared Straight" program of attitude adjustment.

The judge's term does not expire until 2016 as I understand it at which time he will be 71.

#339 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

She has learned that lieing in court will help prevent you spending time in gaol.

I view it differently based upon my decades of interviewing, interrogating and examining of suspects, witnesses, plaintiffs and defendants. Seemed genuine to me. YMMV.

#340 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

You do not appear to understand any number of things (including facts and the law/legal principles), despite them being explained in detail to you based on your past CDC history.

The judge IMHO did a fine job in handling Ms. Soto. Hopefully she carries the lesson with her for the rest of her life. She will have no record if she completes her drug rehab program. In that case consider it a success for the "Scared Straight" program of attitude adjustment.

The judge's term does not expire until 2016 as I understand it at which time he will be 71.

Well that's your opinion, I don't share it. You are blind to the mitigating circumstances here. The guy has a track record of losing his temper, he has been called "unqualified" by 47% of his colleagues, and he quite obviously had an attitude on the day in question. Save your lectures on laws and statutes for somebody else. He had as bad an attitude as she did, and because HE was the one with the power, that attitude is acceptable? What a load of horse crap. You can go blow that smoke up someone else's ass.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 08 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#341 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well that's your opinion, I don't share it. You are blind to the mitigating circumstances here. The guy has a track record of losing his temper, he has been called "unqualified" by 47% of his colleagues, and he quite obviously had an attitude on the day in question. Save your lectures on laws and statutes for somebody else. He had as bad an attitude as she did, and because HE was the one with the power, that attitude is acceptable? What a load of horse crap. You can go blow that smoke up someone else's ass.

Not a smoker.

Again being informed on such things (as I am) seems to be proved by this thread, eh?

With great power comes great responsibility (Stan Lee by way of Voltaire) and in this case it was exercised to great effect.

#342 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not a smoker.

Again being informed on such things (as I am) seems to be proved by this thread, eh?

With great power comes great responsibility (Stan Lee by way of Voltaire) and in this case it was exercised to great effect.

Wrong. In this case it was ABUSED. Try looking at a situation from someone else's perspective for a change instead of your usual trite rote boring lawyer perspective and then you may understand that. Again...save it for somebody else.
Posted Image

#343 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Wrong. In this case it was ABUSED. Try looking at a situation from someone else's perspective for a change instead of your usual trite rote boring lawyer perspective and then you may understand that. Again...save it for somebody else.

Seems not.

And it appears to have had a salutary effect on Ms. Soto.

Understanding does not appear to be an issue for me in respect of this incident.

#344 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I view it differently based upon my decades of interviewing, interrogating and examining of suspects, witnesses, plaintiffs and defendants. Seemed genuine to me. YMMV.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME !

If you believe that she really was repentant for her actions then your credibilty is suspect

It is obvious that her fear of going to gaol was stronger than her desire to continue pissing off the judge , logic indicates she was instructed by her lawyers and parents to act in a repentant manner.

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 08 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#345 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

If you believe that she really was repentant for her actions then your credibilty is suspect

It is obvious that her fear of going to gaol was stronger than her desire to continue pissing off the judge , logic indicates she was instructed by her lawyers and parents to act in a repentant manner.

Why would I kid you?

It may be obvious to you, it is not so to me and I have had the advantage of many years of experience in such matters.

#346 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Which proves absolutely nothing. Your "advantage" of knowledge and experience as it pertains to this matter is clouded by the fact that you have only seen it from one point of view. You lack the ability to see this situation from the point of view of the defendant, and thus you cannot possibly understand the corruption and lack of professionalism that infests the US justice system. Until you've been a defendant...you've walked a mile in THEIR shoes..and view this type of thing from their perspective..your opinion is one-sided, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 08 February 2013 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

#347 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Man give it up... Your opinion is what he says it is. Black and white. No grey.

#348 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Which proves absolutely nothing. Your "advantage" of knowledge and experience as it pertains to this matter is clouded by the fact that you have only seen it from one point of view. You lack the ability to see this situation from the point of view of the defendant, and thus you cannot possibly understand the corruption and lack of professionalism that infests the US justice system. Until you've been a defendant...you've walked a mile in THEIR shoes..and view this type of thing from their perspective..your opinion is one-sided, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

To be fair, though.....that works both ways....... on the side of the law, too :)

Until .you've walked a mile in THEIR shoes..and view this type of thing from their perspective..your opinion is one-sided, and should be taken with a grain of salt...........both ways, it works both ways :)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 08 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#349 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Which proves absolutely nothing. Your "advantage" of knowledge as it pertains to this matter is clouded by the fact that you have only seen it from one point of view. You lack the ability to see this situation from the point of view of the defendant, and thus you cannot possibly understand the corruption and lack of professionalism that infests the US justice system. Until you've been a defendant...you've walked a mile in THEIR shoes..and view this type of thing from their perspective..your opinion is one-sided, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have no problem seeing from multiple points of view - unlike yourself judging by the content of your rants and clear misapprehension of fact. law and legal principles.

It has apparently escaped your notice that the situation played out pretty much the way I set it out.

#350 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Can't wait to see who else is going to be victim to this judge's political theatre.

#351 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Man give it up... Your opinion is what he says it is. Black and white. No grey.

Facts are facts and the law and legal principles at issue were clear from the get go.

#352 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Can't wait to see who else is going to be victim to this judge's political theatre.

This was a legal matter dealt with under the applicable law and legal principles.

#353 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

To be fair, though.....that works both ways.......perhaps one should also have to walk in the shoes of those on the law side. :)

I was merely inferring that a "black and white" view of the world is very debilitating, especially in situations like this. By the letter...by the book...trite, boring, dull....if you can't see any other colors how can you ever expect to see a rainbow? ;)
Posted Image

#354 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have no problem seeing from multiple points of view - unlike yourself judging by the content of your rants and clear misapprehension of fact. law and legal principles.

It has apparently escaped your notice that the situation played out pretty much the way I set it out.

It's apparently escaped your notice that LAW IS IMPERFECT. Get that through your head first and then we can have a civil discussion on this.
Posted Image

#355 Electro Rock

Electro Rock

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

You think all jails are full of murderers and rapists and hard core gang bangers? There are varying degrees of prison you know...

In places like Florida they are, and in that kind of situation what ends up happening is that a lot of dangerous predators end up being busted for minor crimes and end up in with the truely nonviolent offenders.

Also, women's detention facilitiess usually aren't as large as the men's so they tend to just place people whereever.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Norman Thomas

#356 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

"I have no problems seeing from multiple points of view" Yet you refuse to address this judge's history of temper issues, his being called incompetent, and my god are you blind if you didn't notice he had a chip on his shoulder when the entire situation started. The video of this incident doesn't lie...the guy very clearly has an attitude.
Posted Image

#357 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

She may not be truly sorry for her actions but she sure as hell learned not to frack around in a court room. It was a great success, IMO.
Posted Image

#358 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,102 posts

Facts are facts and the law and legal principles at issue were clear from the get go.

There is more to the world than legal principles and law .

#359 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Why would I kid you?

It may be obvious to you, it is not so to me and I have had the advantage of many years of experience in such matters.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abraham Lincoln

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#360 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

This was a legal matter dealt with under the applicable law and legal principles.

And you use "legal principles" loosely. I don't see many principles here, other than going so far to be a douche and wasting the time of two more court/bail hearings to un-do this judge's stupidity.. over nothing. Much theatre with no consideration of a backlogged court system, or crowded jails, due to ego. If this backfires and causes "adios, judge" to be a fad as ronthecivil explained earlier, it would be much better justice and teach this judge (who is in dire need of) a lesson.

Edited by zaibatsu, 08 February 2013 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.