The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

All I wanted to do was discuss the benefits and detriments of throwing an 18 year old into a county jail for 30 days (BTW, Miami Dade county jails have been cited for "shocking conditions"). I suggested as much in my initial posts, and more than once it was alluded that I'm an idiot, or incapable of behaving, or other nonsense. I can say with a straight face that I didn't come here to slight crap at others, and I requested for it to stop and for my arguments to be addressed, which they remain to be.

This has never been about whether she was right in her behavior, or whether she should be punished at all, yet that is what I've had to read about for nine pages. And you don't think I should call out this nonsense for what it is? How about being the change you want to see?

Well said 1915.

Here's the deal about rehab vs jail...people generally don't respond well to rehab if they're forced to go and it's not of their own desire. That defiant attitude just carries over and is directed toward treatment staff, so a softening is likely in order. So, as much as it's a waste of resources to throw her in jail, the same rings true for ordering her directly to treatment (that also comes with a cost - part of that being wasting appointment blocks that could be used for people who are committed to changing). Often, that point (rehab having a positive effect) comes after hitting a low and jail can be that low for some. People are assuming she'll blend in and be one of the jail crowd but these tough facades are sometimes just that and perhaps showing her that she's not so tough will bring her back to reality in a scared straight way. That she'll hit her low and then rehab will be more effective?

I worked in an outpatient treatment center and people who were ordered by the courts for referrals to treatment were usually just wasting everyone's time and it often was a revolving door thing. It became a game. After going to jail (sometimes it takes more than one visit), some would come to decide for themselves that they'd had enough because it was a more serious thing and an important step in the process.

Again, that was just my own observation and I don't have the numbers to back it up. But court ordered patients just became frequent fliers in most situations because they had no intention of absorbing the program and just did the time. The resistance factor was strong.

Xanax bars, footballs...I've read up more on this case, and as much as I want to say the punishment was harsh...I have changed my tune now. However...I don't think jail is the right answer. Anyone with a brain knows that drugs of any kind (prescription, coke, meth, speed) are available in the US jail and prison system. If he really wanted to do something effective, he'd put her on one of those work release programs where she'd be staking garbage along the highway all day or cleaning up a park instead of sitting in a jail cell negotiating for her next Xanax fix. Locking her in a cage with the same kind of offenders, scrip drugs, etc...what do you think that's going to do...is it going to break her of her addiction, or is it going to exacerbate it? Was rehab even considered in this case? I can vouch that when you are hooked on a prescription pill, your mind doesn't operate normally. Your behaviors are erratic, you're irritable, confrontational...if they really REALLY want to help this girl...send her to rehab where at the age of 18 maybe she could break free from the chains of prescription drug addiction...don't throw her in a jail cell, have her do nothing for however long she's in there, and expect that she's going to be rehabilitated...that is the biggest joke I have ever heard. There is no such thing as rehabilitation in the US jail system...hence the high recidivism rate.

Noone should be charged for recreational drug use for one, and a prescription drug at that, and then sent to a jail where they're bound to be doped up on prescription drugs all day, and in this girl's case is probably going to have to be put on antidepressants after she gets out.

Noone should be charged for recreational drug use for one, and a prescription drug at that, and then sent to a jail where they're bound to be doped up on prescription drugs all day, and in this girl's case is probably going to have to be put on antidepressants after she gets out.

She's technically being sent to jail because she was being an idiot in court, and then after she got a warning for her conduct, she thought it would be a brilliant move to give the judge the finger and talk crap to him as she walked away, not because of other stuff.

Generally only the stupid people like her go to jail for recreational drug use. If you're in your own home, and doing drugs of any kind, unless you OD or proceed to have an epic tantrum that gets the cops called on you, how are you even going to end up in jail for it? Now, if you decide to take drugs outside of your home, in public, or at a party, or while driving around, then obviously you are going to be much more prone for ending up in jail. Those are generally the stupid people.

Kind of like the whole 'legalize pot' movement. I mean, I don't smoke but I can respect and see the benefits of having it legalized, but it's kind of voided out when people take pictures and videos of them walking around getting high in public after the US legalized it in some states. I can respect serious conversations and people that are smart enough to do what they do in private by themselves or with friends, but a bunch of drugged out hippies shouting incoherently and having a party on the street about it isn't really going to do it for me.

The girl in the video was obviously an idiot, and played the part. If I was a parent and my kid acted like that toward me, I'd smack them one upside the head, or at least have to fight off the urge to. Not sure why anyone would put up with that attitude. Unfortunately for her, she showed it to someone who had the power to make her pay for it.

Glad to see she decided to not be an idiot in the second video. Notice how she got much more respect when she showed it? Shocking.

So her bond was reduced and she was given the option of completing a drug course through a drug court which if completed would result in the case against her being dismissed.

Her criminal contempt incarceration continues but it sounds as if an application is going to be made to the previous judge so that she can purge her contempt.

The attitude adjustment program appears to have been successful.

Exactly. It's too bad some parents aren't held accountable for their offspring's behavior when the child is much younger. Then these sproglettes wouldn't be in court at 18 receiving 30 days for contempt of court.

No kidding, eh? It's funny how it's the people who wouldn't raise their children to behave in such a manner to begin with who are on the non-bleeding heart side of this story and are the ones who would want to die a thousand deaths of embarrassment and disappear into the floor if their child behaved in such a manner. I guess we know the ones who would have children they'd be proud to be anywhere in public with........

Exactly. It's too bad some parents aren't held accountable for their offspring's behavior when the child is much younger. Then these sproglettes wouldn't be in court at 18 receiving 30 days for contempt of court.

No kidding, eh? It's funny how it's the people who wouldn't raise their children to behave in such a manner to begin with who are on the non-bleeding heart side of this story and are the ones who would want to die a thousand deaths of embarrassment and disappear into the floor if their child behaved in such a manner. I guess we know the ones who would have children they'd be proud to be anywhere in public with........

Isn't that amazing? But oh how terrible it was to send her to jail...such unjust punishment. I think the second video is proof enough that the judge knew exactly what he was doing when he sent her there in the first place. Kudos to the judge......hard to refute this kind of proof that his approach works.

Archived