The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Special teams thought

Twine Bulger

Special teams can be one of the biggest factors to winning the game and i feel that there should be some little changes based on the players current play other then how they performed in the past.

First off alex edler, I love watching him play but this year he's been having an off season(it happends)

and when you put a player that is off his game on the pp/pk of course its going to struggle. The PP or PK should not be time for a player struggling to get his game back, especially in a short season.

Raymond- this guy is having a great bounce back year and with his speed he has better odds of finding that open spot or drawing defenders away from their position. This guy has 4 of his 5 goals on the odd man advantage and leads the team in pp goals.

Burrows- I think the PK is where he belongs and not the PP. He reads the play very well in the defencive zone but his production in the offencive zone drops drastically when he is not playing with the sedins.

Kessler- plays great with sedins on PP and they shouldnt split them up unless production slips.

Final thought- if it worked well in the past but not the present, we need to start making some changes for the future or else we're going to start looking more and more like the flames! :sadno:

I agree, but I must have missed your specific suggestions for immediatley improving our power play (which Kesler has already done)

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler is a lock for the 1st unit. I'm pretty tired of seeing Dan Sedin on the point.. I'd like to try Ballard - Edler on the points if we're going to experiment.

I don't think we should throw Raymond onto the 1st unit as he's been utilizing his time on the 2nd unit very well and his chemistry with Schredder is undeniable

My thoughts:

PP Unit 1:

H.Sedin, Kesler, Burrows

D.Sedin, Garrison

D.Sedin - has looked good on the point this season and in the past. If we need him to start cycling, Kesler can swap in during any given shift.

H.Sedin - same stuff. Does it good.

Kesler - Very good at being the arbitrary floater that his hard to cover. Kesler gets open, and Kesler scores as a result.

Burrows - Obviously, Burrows has the best hands in front of the net. Kesler and Burrows can trade spots during a shift to throw off the defenders.

Garrison - since Garrison has no chemistry with any D-men, why bother putting any others on the PP? Garrison on the right side. Daniel -> Garrison -> BOMB.

PP Unit 2:

Raymond, Schroeder, Kassian

Ballard (SHOULD be Edler...), Bieksa

Raymond - similar to Kesler. A good drifter that is hard to pick up. Gets open, scores.

Schroeder - great passer, can shoot if he has a good opportunity. Schroeder is also good on the point if a D-man pinches/moves up.

Kassian - net pressence

Bieksa - shoot first. Good pincher for the most part.

Ballard - deserves a shot. Fast, good skater, good passer. Has a good shot, which most people have forgotten. Needs to be told to hold off on the pinches.

I'd like to see something like this.

I agree, something needs to change, not major changes, but something that will stop the D from totally breaking down like they have been lately....maybe a specialy team coaching suffle?

As many here already know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Archived