The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

I haven't seen a more accurate assessment of this play anywhere on these boards! +1!! You are absolutely correct, and believe me, I was there, right behind the Hawk's bench.

Like I have stated previously, I don't think there was any ill intent on Hansen's part, but you have to know where you are on the ice in relation to other players and refs, much in the same way that you have to always be in control of your stick.

Look at it this way...if you have no criminal record and go out and kill someone, you are still guilty of murder. Hansen got what he deserved, a much lighter sentence than someone with a history, but a game to make him realize that the play was reckless and he needs to be held accountable, intentional or not.

Oh and BTW, I may tend to be a Hawk's fan (Vancouver is my 2nd favorite team) but I was one of the first to say that Keith got what he deserved for his hit on Sedin. That was intentional by a star player who also had NO history. The call on the ice that game was also much more severe than what Hansen got last night.

All in all, I have one concern about Hansen.

Earlier this season he crosschecked one of the refs. I read Hansen's comments about that (there was no league action, which was completely correct) But Hansen stated that he never saw the ref because he was focused on Ryan Clowe and actually didn't really recall hitting the ref. It seems like he had tunnel vision or something.

Now reading his statement last night about the hit on Hossa, he once again doesn't seem to remember anything expect going for the puck.

"We were both kind of jumping for (the puck)," Hansen said. "He grabs the puck first and as I'm coming down I kind of land on him a little bit. Apparently, I hit him in the back of the head is what the ref was telling me once I come down. It's hard for me to tell what really happened."

This is concerning to me, as all hockey players knows that they needs to be aware of everything around them (players, refs, stations ect). It bothers me that he get so focused that he is unaware of his surroundings and has no real memory of it after the incident.

Why was his elbow at a 90 degree angle if he was going for the puck? He started reaching out for the puck, then when it was obvious that he wasn't going to get it he bent his elbow and gave Hossa a straight forearm to the back of the head. If this happened to a Canuck you guys would be calling for the guys head and the 1 game wouldn't have been enough. And trust me, it isn't enough.

I don't understand the suspension. Giving him a suspension to start shows that they thought the hit was intentional to some degree. To me, if the hit to the head was intentional, one game surely is not severe enough a penalty. But, if they think he did not mean to hit him, why even one game?

Go punch someone with a forearm then. Go to it. Tell a friend you want to do it to the back of his head without a run up. Make sure you've got padding and he's got a helmet. You could do it all god damn day and you'll stop because your bored or maybe your forearm hurts. No one in the history of the world has been injured in the way Hansen supposedly hurt Hossa. No fist or elbow made contact by the way. Even Chicago media agrees on that.

The Bollig/Weise thing was a totally different issue. Weise ran through Marcus Kruger with a vicious hit along the boards (but yes, it was clean) and Bollig took exception. Once the gloves were dropped, all bets were off as far as a call for hits to the head, if you fight, you except that possibility. Bollig took the instigator on that one, and the Hawks wound up on the PK. Weise wasn't hurt in the fight, so I don't see what your issue is with this.

Also, I have yet to see anyone reply to my concern about Hansen not having the wits about him to be aware of his surroundings on the ice. To me, that is a more worrisome issue at this point.

The Bollig/Weise thing was a totally different issue. Weise ran through Marcus Kruger with a vicious hit along the boards (but yes, it was clean) and Bollig took exception. Once the gloves were dropped, all bets were off as far as a call for hits to the head, if you fight, you except that possibility. Bollig took the instigator on that one, and the Hawks wound up on the PK. Weise wasn't hurt in the fight, so I don't see what your issue is with this.

Also, I have yet to see anyone reply to my concern about Hansen not having the wits about him to be aware of his surroundings on the ice. To me, that is a more worrisome issue at this point.

I'm curious if people were playing centre field about to catch a ball and seen the right fielder about to collide with them at the last split second if they would start retracting their arm to a more defensive position.I like Hossa and don't like the fact he is hurt and I hope he's back soon but that's not a suspension or penalty.

Archived