37 replies to this topic

#31 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

If you still haven't "looked up" offline mode and are still complaining in this thread, then we can't help you.

RIP LB RR PD

#32 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I bet you have friends flocking to you for friendly and sound advice...

It isnt ideal to do offline mode, because i do care about unlockables and the ability to compare achievements with my wife. We cant play with our friends or access a lot of things in offline mode. Also, it would just feel shady... would Steam approve of me doing that?

Im not trying to "Complain" as you so put it, but rather give people who have girlfriends or teenage kids a heads-up. One day youre gonna meet a hot gamer chick, and when she moves in with you, she will come with a massive videogame collection... too bad you cant play any of them because of the modern movement in computer software DRM and always online games. dumb dumb dumb.

If you want to call people complainers you should look at the thousands of threads posted all the time with no real constructive solutions offered. Do you really feel wives shouldn't be allowed to play games you own (or worse, the other way around), cause that is the direction were headed.

however i should really grovel at your feet and thank you for your highly esteemed opinion on my situation.
Thanks for your time, i appreciate the oportunity to amuse you whilst you have nothing better to do. =P

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 08 March 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#33 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well, see, there were a number of people in this thread who did try and offer you some solutions, but you didn't even bother to look into them, and continue to say it's all Steam's fault. What more do you want? The solutions we gave you are the only ones available. Let's be honest here, you really just wanted to vent.

I'm just saying, there's a way to ask for help, and just bitching and moaning isn't going to garner you any fans. And in fact yes, a lot of my friends do come to me for advice. But that's neither here nor there.

See, I understand your plight, but the fact of the matter is that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to rectify the issue now since you have already tied your games to the same account. Sure, it may not be the ideal situation for a select few individuals like yourself, but for most people, the steam account system works just fine. And the honest truth is that most people who play games HAVE multiple accounts anyways, regardless of whether they are single or have a "hot gamer wife" or whatever.

What I don't understand is how you managed to put all those games on one account repeatedly. Did you not encounter this issue at one point before? And yet, you continued putting all your games onto one account? If that's the case it's really hard to have any sympathy for you here, because you continued banging your head on the brick wall.

Most people just don't read the agreements when they create and use a steam account, or they would have understood what happens when you tie a game to the account. I can understand that you may not have known the first time, but how did ALL your games end up on one account. Surely, you didn't buy them all at the same time?

By the way, you don't even need to tie non-steam games to your steam account. If you're buying physical copies of said games you can just play them as-is out of the box. Tying the games to your single steam account is just shooting yourself in the foot, really.

And I don't see what the big issue with playing offline is anyways. I mean, are achievements really that important? I don't know anyone who plays games for achievements.

Edited by Jai604, 08 March 2013 - 07:23 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#34 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

no. i didnt do it over and over. I bought two games and put them on one account. Its switched to two accounts now, which is fine. But i cant buy more steam games because i would rather not have a library of games, than have games i can not play.

I am screaming about steam... yes im venting, im ranting, im ticked off because everyone says its so great... and that hasnt been my experience at all.

Was steam polite when i told them i put my wifes game on my account? Yes. they were. but that doesnt change the fact that digital games and software in general is held to a different standard of legal protection because we are paying for "liscense" to play...

That License used to mean you could expect a certain experience/rights. but things are changing and everyone seems so cool with it cause of all of the neat features DRM and always online gaming offers. Ill admit some of the features are cool... but i feel like were blinded to the fact that our rights have changed.

Its sort of like enacting a new rule in hockey to combat something, but not realizing what else that rule will cause to happen.
I feel like were heading for a slippery slope... one where EA and Steam get to say how we use software. we cant use our creativity to enact mods, and once they pull the plug on their support, we will have no access to our games...

Im just overall upset about how things are changing but maybe it IS just the old guy in me.
I didnt mean to piss anyone off, but im sure there are people out there (somewhere) who understand where im comming from and the point im TRYING to make.
Posted Image

#35 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Unfortunately more & more games will become tied to Steam. Not only that, more & more of them will require constant internet access. So realistically, using offline mode will only help the OP so much. And besides, he's not only talking about the two games that he has at the moment (which he has already moved to separate Steam accounts), but he's concerned about all those future games that he might be buying; games that he and his wife might both want to play.

I know it sucks, but it is the way it is. Doesn't make it right, but that's the reality. I have a rather large collection of Steam titles, so I know how annoyed I'd be if my gf suddenly wanted to play any one of them and me having to NOT PLAY while she's playing, OR having to buy a copy just for her.
Posted Image

#36 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

You can blame internet piracy for all of this really. If there's anyone you want to blame, blame the people who pirated games, thus forcing the companies to find ways to combat it.

RIP LB RR PD

#37 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Valve is not the only company to do this. EA has Origin, Ubisoft has Uplay. So unless you're planning on quitting PC gaming forever. You will not be able to avoid this.

Edited by (>o.o)>, 10 March 2013 - 07:10 PM.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#38 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

You can blame internet piracy for all of this really. If there's anyone you want to blame, blame the people who pirated games, thus forcing the companies to find ways to combat it.

I agree and understand... buuuuut... guess what this exact thing makes me want to do? Pirate (or just quit buying(which is essentially the same thing to the industry big-wigs)).

Sometimes you just have to let a few dollars go instead of disguising it all with "neat" features in hopes that someone will pay 60 dollars for a game instead of hacking it.
People are still pirating games. People know how to run their own servers and crack things, and the people into that sort of thing will always find a way to do it.

I have paid for everything ive ever had, and i will continue to do so. So ill either come to terms with the direction of the gaming industry or ill stop PC gaming... im just so shocked that everyone just says "its okay to take our rights away because that guy over there stole something"

Its a multi layer issue that has me steamed at steam (and origin and all the rest). If i pay 60 dollars for the right to play a game, I want to play it where i want, when I want, how I want, and on any machine in my house.
That is what we could previously expect from PC gaming.

I dont want limitations on my access to the library I paid for and i dont want my right to play to vanish when publishers take down their websites! Those guys can whine and cry about losing money all day long but i feel like were the ones really losing.

be wise and read-up guys because were funding this industry and its doing whatever it wants without anyone overlooking our rights. If steam goes out of business tomorrow, it would take your games with it. There will be no one you can call to get your money back. That just doesn't sound "right" to me, especially after all the "Right" ive done by the industry over the course of my life. Please, get out of my pocket and give me my rights back. I havent done anything to lose them.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 10 March 2013 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.