The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Toronto Blue Jays '13 Season Thread

Gross-Misconduct

Should consider a change in the coaching staff? Fire Gibbons? This team just isn't clicking or playing well. With a season full of high expectations, something needs to be done soon.

This team is too talented to be this bad right?

I can't think of much else that they can do at this point. AA did his part in constructing a roster that was supposed to contend for a playoff spot. The players haven't come close to delivering at all.

I agree but AA's re-hiring of Gibbons has me baffled. Like a lot of people, it was a wtf? moment when I heard about the Gibbons hire. But then I figured maybe AA knows something that I'm missing. I never did convince myself that was a good move and now the record speaks for itself. It's not all on Gibbons of course, the players have to produce, but is there anything about Gibbon's demeanor or communication that says this guy is the right guy for the job? AA put together a promising lineup to go into the future and yet he went backwards with Gibbons.

the Jays are pissing me off. Whenever they get a fine pitching performance, like with Dickey today, they cant hit for the life of them. In fact, they cant hit in any game. They are likely already out of contention, I was looking forward to a long season of meaningful games - not gonna happen. At least fire Gibbons now, to see if anything will change.

Ironically, there are very similar situations when Gibbons was here in his previous tenure (2006-2008) and currently now. As strange as it sounds, Jays went into 2006 after increasing payroll and signed/acquiring AJ Burnett, BJ Ryan, Lyle Overbay, Troy Glaus where they underachieved for 3 years while entering the season after increasing payroll in acquiring Dickey, Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle and so far are having the same exact results.

Blue Jays: 9 - 17 .346

Miami: 6 - 19 .240

Looks like the Blue Jays are winning the trade!

After seeing what has transpired, maybe we're seeing why the Marlins dumped all the high-priced players.

Notable exception being Reyes who was by far the best player before he got injured.

the Jays are pissing me off. Whenever they get a fine pitching performance, like with Dickey today, they cant hit for the life of them. In fact, they cant hit in any game. They are likely already out of contention, I was looking forward to a long season of meaningful games - not gonna happen. At least fire Gibbons now, to see if anything will change.

The criticism of Gibbons might be well deserved, but I'm still pissed at almost all of the Jays, who are performing below par.

New contract Edwin..

No-roid, no-HR Melky...

No-bats Joey...

Bonifarce-io...

And then the pitchers... holy crap they suck...

Guys like Dickey shouldn't have to pitch under pressure late in the game with our supposedly "deadly" batting lineup.

I'll still cheer on those solo shots when they happen, but no more hyping from me anymore.

Anthopoulus is confident things will turn around.

When the season started they all kept saying "it was early". Were almost first month into the season and the Jays have to go 81-56 to win 90 games to have any shot at making post-season.

I'd like to ask him what he was thinking bringing back Gibbons. It makes no sense. Look at the guy's past history here where he's best known for getting into altercations with David Bush, Ted Lily, Shea Hillerbrand, and Frank Thomas.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fight yet between Gibbons and a player, given how the season has go so far.

Anthopoulus is confident things will turn around.

When the season started they all kept saying "it was early". Were almost first month into the season and the Jays have to go 81-56 to win 90 games to have any shot at making post-season.

I'd like to ask him what he was thinking bringing back Gibbons. It makes no sense. Look at the guy's past history here where he's best known for getting into altercations with David Bush, Ted Lily, Shea Hillerbrand, and Frank Thomas.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fight yet between Gibbons and a player, given how the season has go so far.

Look at Gibbon's demeanor. It looks like the guy doesn't give a sh1t. It's like he thought he was rolling into a powerhouse lineup and all he had to do was sit back, eat spitz and watch the wins roll in. I doubt he'll get into it with any player because he looks comatose out there.

The criticism of Gibbons might be well deserved, but I'm still pissed at almost all of the Jays, who are performing below par.

New contract Edwin..

No-roid, no-HR Melky...

No-bats Joey...

Bonifarce-io...

And then the pitchers... holy crap they suck...

Guys like Dickey shouldn't have to pitch under pressure late in the game with our supposedly "deadly" batting lineup.

I'll still cheer on those solo shots when they happen, but no more hyping from me anymore.

Melky - We knew he wasn't going to re-peat #'s he put up in SF before suspension.

Dickey- No-one expected he would put up the same kind of #'s or repeat last year again, meaning winning another Cy Young.

Johnson - The guy has been awful. Can't believe how bad he's been given he's in a contact year. Remember when AJ Burnett was here and had mediocre years until his contact year, where he puts up hugs #'s and as we remember he left and signed a huge contract elsewhere.

Reyes had been the best player on the team prior to getting injured.

Look at Gibbon's demeanor. It looks like the guy doesn't give a sh1t. It's like he thought he was rolling into a powerhouse lineup and all he had to do was sit back, eat spitz and watch the wins roll in. I doubt he'll get into it with any player because he looks comatose out there.

He makes John Farrell look like a hothead now.

Melky - We knew he wasn't going to re-peat #'s he put up in SF before suspension.

Dickey- No-one expected he would put up the same kind of #'s or repeat last year again, meaning winning another Cy Young.

Johnson - The guy has been awful. Can't believe how bad he's been given he's in a contact year. Remember when AJ Burnett was here and had mediocre years until his contact year, where he puts up hugs #'s and as we remember he left and signed a huge contract elsewhere.

Reyes had been the best player on the team prior to getting injured.

Dickey is doing fine. He's now playing the way we expected him to. Giving up two or three runs a game should be a win for any Blue Jays team other than this one. Our offence is...

That's the type of player Reyes is, though. When he's healthy, he's the MVP. When he's injured.... he's injured.

If there is someone to blame its Chad Mottola the hitting coach, not Gibby.

He's the guy who runs the offence, and tells the hitters certain things to do (change their stance, timing, etc)to get hits or to get on base, and that is what killing the Jays right now. No one is getting on base for runs.

The Managers put the lineup together and give signals to his players (steal, bunt, hit and runs, etc). He has little to do with how to hitters should approach the plate.

A rather pessimistic article in "Sports Illustrated" about the Jays chances of making the playoffs:

http://mlb.si.com/2013/04/29/toronto-blue-jays-ra-dickey-slow-start/?xid=nl_siextra

"Since 1995, the first year that the postseason included wild card entrants, only six teams have gone 11-15 or worse through their first 26 games and still made the playoffs. That’s six out of 146 (4.0 percent) who either won the division or a wild card spot."

Archived