The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to Increase Offense in the NHL

OrrFour

Honestly, if they weren't to change goalie gear. I wish they'd expand the width of the rink. It forces teams that just collapse in front of their net and block shots to have a harder time retrieving the puck. It gives offences to time and space to make plays.

That being said, I don't believe owners would like it because it may be costly to renovate rinks.

i know many will disagree... but i think scoring is just fine in the NHL. we're at a good level. every goal is meaningful, but not a death sentence...

honestly i hate 7-6 games. 3-2, 4-3, is what i like. it's hardly easy to be an NHL goalie. why do we need a goal every 5 minutes?

Ban the glove hand pass all together, it only serves to help a floundering defense.

Increase goalie safety inside the crease, decrease goalie "Special Status" outside the crease.

Ditch tag-up offside rule, it also only helps defensemen in trouble outside the blueline.

Ban all goals deflected off offensive players skate, this would increase integrity not scoring.

I have a few suggestions:

(1) Move the blue line out 2' from the end boards so that there is more space in the offensive zone (neutral zone loses 4' of ice in total). This will add another 170 square feet of ice in the offensive zone. More offensive zone ice should allow for more scoring chances.

(2) Move the icing from the centre line to your blue line...that is, you can dump the puck in from your side of the centre ice as long as you have crossed your blue line. If you shoot the puck in from your side of the blue line, it's an icing. This will allow teams to dump the puck in with forwards going top speed (i.e., Hawks' stretch passes that they employed during their cup winning season, and what Hank and Daniel did vs. Detroit) and will also force the defensive coverage to stretch out, so it becomes a means to break down the neutral zone trap (as long as you can get the puck through). If the puck doesn't get through, there's a good chance that there is an odd man rush coming back at you (more scoring chances).

(3) Go back to the dimensions of the square goal crease. Paint this part of the ice blue and no opposing skaters are allowed in this part of the ice. If the goalie leaves this space, he is fair game as any other player -- he can be bumped if playing the puck (i.e., save or puck handling), but cannot be interfered like any other player on the ice if he's not playing the puck. I find that we are living in an era where goalies are too protected (big gear, no touch on goalie rules). This may force goalies to play deeper in the crease, which should lead to better puck battles in front of the net, resulting in more chances to score.

(4) Prohibit goalies from entering the space behind the goal line. Allow goalies to handle the puck while it's behind the goal line only if they are standing on the "correct" side of the goal line. This will allow for offensive team to retrieve pucks more effectively leading to more scoring chances.

(5) Forgot one...allow line changes only while the play is going on.

Let the coaches challenge a play, if they're wrong give the team a delay of game penalty and take away their timeout.

I'm not big on making the nets bigger, this isn't soccer. Goalies have just gotten better it's as simple as that. Any new rule they implement, teams will find a way to defend.

(3) Go back to the dimensions of the square goal crease. Paint this part of the ice blue and no opposing skaters are allowed in this part of the ice. If the goalie leaves this space, he is fair game as any other player -- he can be bumped if playing the puck (i.e., save or puck handling), but cannot be interfered like any other player on the ice if he's not playing the puck. I find that we are living in an era where goalies are too protected (big gear, no touch on goalie rules). This may force goalies to play deeper in the crease, which should lead to better puck battles in front of the net, resulting in more chances to score.

(4) Prohibit goalies from entering the space behind the goal line. Allow goalies to handle the puck while it's behind the goal line only if they are standing on the "correct" side of the goal line. This will allow for offensive team to retrieve pucks more effectively leading to more scoring chances.

(5) Forgot one...allow line changes only while the play is going on.

I'd rather allow all hand passes. Less faceoffs. Unless you want a penalty for any hand pass. Then maybe.

Goalies are as vulnerable and valuable as a quarterback in football. They need to be protected outside the crease.

I like the tag up offside becuz it decreases the number of faceoffs.

The nhl and integrity don't exaclty go hand in hand. I like the new 'anything goes as long as it's not a kicking motion' rule.

I like the idea of shorter goalie pads. It would bring back more of the 80's type Fuhr saves. An exciting save today is not nearly as exciting as it was in the 80s. I'm definitely against larger nets - I think that is one part of the game that should never change. I really like your trap-elimination rule above! I think it coiuld definitely work and deserves some real consideration by the league! I am sure it would increase scoring, but even if it didn't, I'd just love to watch more end to end, open play that would result.

Honestly, if they weren't to change goalie gear. I wish they'd expand the width of the rink. It forces teams that just collapse in front of their net and block shots to have a harder time retrieving the puck. It gives offences to time and space to make plays.

That being said, I don't believe owners would like it because it may be costly to renovate rinks.

would you really like to see a game where players are batting the puck from the corner into the area in front of the net ?

guys batting the puck from behind the net to players in front?

I think that would be HORRIBLE!

I am not one for more penalties, but like the puck over glass rule, players could/would learn not to glove pass.

The current glove pass always negates a scoring chance because it happens when defense are scrambling.

Look at the Mike Smith thread/ videos, is he adding to the game?

goalies handling the puck in general increases a teams ability to trap.

Once in a blue moon a goalie makes a nice pass for an exciting play but most often they just halp the defense clear the zone.

the current rules protecting goalies outside the crease make the crease redundant. What is the current use of the crease?

the tag up offside rule does decrease faceoffs, however it creates 10 seconds of Lame Duck time where the play goes on but neither team can score. If a team has 5 guys in the zone and a d-man bobbles the puck there is a far greater chance for a goal against his team if he is not aloud to send it back into the zone. If all offsides caused a d-zone faceoff, with no sub and a hurry up faceoff the cgame would be improved. Intentional offsides should be penalized.

I do not ever like a puck off skate goal, and I agree integrity and the NHL do not belong in the same sentence, but it would be a start. they can't even get the kicking motion rule right using video review.

One more point, the the goalie should not be aloud to freeze a puck passed to him by a defender, and defenders should not be aloud to freeze the puck under the goalie. This rule ( I call it the soccer rule) alone would make up for all the lost goals off skates.

It has always seemed stupid that after an icing all the team needs to do is shovel the puck under the goalie or into his glove to get a line change. It is just another "Legal" delay of game.

If you want to get rid of the neutral zone trap completely, get rid of the neutral zone. Two things would need to be done to achieve this:

(1) Divide the ice into two halves with centre line determining offsides. The centre line replaces the blue line for offsides...as well, you have 100' of ice in the offensive zone which in theory should open the play up.

(2) Keep the blue lines as they are and any dump ins from your side of the blue line becomes an icing...if you cross your blue line and dump the puck into the offensive zone, the puck is alive (i.e., no icing). This will also prevent the defensive team from lining up all their players along the centre ice area as a modified trap to deal with all the open ice.

The danger in this is that you create a game where there is a greater premium on puck possession and you have less puck battles. The last 2-3 minutes of a tight game where we typically see good puck battles could be replaced by team with the lead playing keep away by spreading their players, though it could be argued that since the overall dimension of the ice surface does not change, it should have minimal effect.

I admit that hand passes in the offensive zone are not at the top of my list for new rules. However, I think it would create excitement and more offense so yes I support it if it's needed.

Are you suggesting that a hand pass in the defensive zone become a penalty like shooting the puck out?

Okay, I think I support that. If it's just a faceoff then it's not enough of a deterrent.

Maybe start by making it a defensive zone faceoff with no line change allowed.

If they make a rule stating that goalies are not allowed to go behind the goal line I think I'd support it, but allowing them to be hit is out of the question.

- Larger ice surface.

- Bring back the 2 minute major.

- Last Resort. 4 on 4 hockey. It would cut about 120 jobs, but then again the 120 worst players in the league would be in the minors where they belong. It would also mean expanding to 32 teams would mean about the same talent base as we have now.

Archived