The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

Willige, thanks for the backhanded compliment. You really are having trouble letting go aren't you? I've seen that you have even been posting comments to articles in our local online newspaper....a little pathetic don't you think? You fit right in with some of our local nay-sayers.

If it makes you happy I truly believe that Utica will either finish last or near the bottom in AHL average attendance next year. With a building that seats only 3850 or maybe 4100 with standing room it's crazy not to think that. But the local investors and the Canucks wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't a business model that allows them to operate without a huge loss.

I expect to see an average attendance in the 3300 to 3400 range with consistent sell outs on the weekends and crowds of around 2500 - 2800 on weeknights. All AHL teams see a drop in attendance on weeknights. Hopefully we will not be burdened with a high ratio of weeknight games.

If my prediction is correct the Aud will average around 87% capacity. The team that had the lowest average attendance last year averaged 3527 in a building that seats 13,846 for an average 25% capacity. Which do you think is a better business model? Then consider Utica is smack in the middle of so many existing AHL teams which reduce expenses and create rivalries. I expect to see hundreds of Crunch fans at the Aud every time we play Syracuse.

You like to point out that Utica never averaged more than 2800 for the Devils when we last had the AHL but there are a number of important differences now that you know nothing about. Utica is a small Upstate, NY city of about 62,000 but the area when combined with the city of Rome and various suburbs is around 250,000. Back in the Devils days (and all previous minor league teams) there were two large low income housing projects directly behind the Aud. Trying to convince enough people from the more affluent suburban ares to regularly come down to the Aud was a tough sell. The Aud has very limited parking so most people either park on the street or in small lots a couple blocks away. Reports of having cars broken into and vandalized kept people away. The crime rate in and around "the projects" was a legitimate concern.

The projects were torn down since pro hockey last played in Utica and much of that land will be turned into parking for the Aud. It was also announced that a local business man will build a sports bar directly behind the Aud and hopes to have it completed by October in time for hockey season. Utica College plays out of the Aud and with the projects gone they lead the NCAA in D3 average attendance....more proof that people will pack that building on a regular basis.

Excited for the season to come! Can not say enough how happy we are to have our affiliate in a town that is excited about hockey. And can I say without getting rocks thrown at me, I hope we stay in Utica for the full 6 years and more! Can't wait to see the signings and how the farm team will look!

I know Utica wasn't the first choice of Vancouver or the second choice for that matter but hopefully it will be the beginning of a long term relationship. There can be some advantages to developing prospects in smaller cities with less distractions and they can concentrate on improving their skills and playing hockey.

I know Utica wasn't the first choice of Vancouver or the second choice for that matter but hopefully it will be the beginning of a long term relationship. There can be some advantages to developing prospects in smaller cities with less distractions and they can concentrate on improving their skills and playing hockey.

how's the nightlife in utica? hopefully it's non-existent.

I assume we'll be playing at the Utica Memorial Auditorium? 4000 attendance.

teddybeartoss.jpg

IMG_3858.JPG

Looks like a nice place on the outside, on the other side of the street is the police departement.

Going on streetview and Utica looks like its stuck in the 60's
:lol:
for its infrastructure and architecture.

Willige, thanks for the backhanded compliment. You really are having trouble letting go aren't you? I've seen that you have even been posting comments to articles in our local online newspaper....a little pathetic don't you think? You fit right in with some of our local nay-sayers.

If it makes you happy I truly believe that Utica will either finish last or near the bottom in AHL average attendance next year. With a building that seats only 3850 or maybe 4100 with standing room it's crazy not to think that. But the local investors and the Canucks wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't a business model that allows them to operate without a huge loss.

I expect to see an average attendance in the 3300 to 3400 range with consistent sell outs on the weekends and crowds of around 2500 - 2800 on weeknights. All AHL teams see a drop in attendance on weeknights. Hopefully we will not be burdened with a high ratio of weeknight games.

If my prediction is correct the Aud will average around 87% capacity. The team that had the lowest average attendance last year averaged 3527 in a building that seats 13,846 for an average 25% capacity. Which do you think is a better business model? Then consider Utica is smack in the middle of so many existing AHL teams which reduce expenses and create rivalries. I expect to see hundreds of Crunch fans at the Aud every time we play Syracuse.

You like to point out that Utica never averaged more than 2800 for the Devils when we last had the AHL but there are a number of important differences now that you know nothing about. Utica is a small Upstate, NY city of about 62,000 but the area when combined with the city of Rome and various suburbs is around 250,000. Back in the Devils days (and all previous minor league teams) there were two large low income housing projects directly behind the Aud. Trying to convince enough people from the more affluent suburban ares to regularly come down to the Aud was a tough sell. The Aud has very limited parking so most people either park on the street or in small lots a couple blocks away. Reports of having cars broken into and vandalized kept people away. The crime rate in and around "the projects" was a legitimate concern.

The projects were torn down since pro hockey last played in Utica and much of that land will be turned into parking for the Aud. It was also announced that a local business man will build a sports bar directly behind the Aud and hopes to have it completed by October in time for hockey season. Utica College plays out of the Aud and with the projects gone they lead the NCAA in D3 average attendance....more proof that people will pack that building on a regular basis.

Let me try this one last time: Congratulations to the Utica Comets. It is quite an accomplishment to sell 1000 season tickets in just 4 days. Sounds like you have an awesome local management group......you are quite fortunate. I hope the Canucks fulfill their contract and play at least 6 years in Utica.

The things that Peoria hockey fans are bitter about include: (1) Canucks at time of their visit were hellbent on moving their farm near Vancouver.....so Peoria fans though they might only be in Peoria for one year; (2) Canucks were insistent on the City of Peoria picking up any revenue losses in excess of $1.5 million/yr; (3) Canucks wanted $1 million renovation in Rivermen Locker Room, which had just been renovated 8 years previously for a 7 figure $$$ (locker room probably looked better than Canucks existing locker room); and Canucks wanted 2 former GM's of Rivermen to run the local management side of the business, John Butler and Bart Rodgers.

There was just NO way Peoria was going to pony up and make up any revenue losses, especially up to $1.5 million!

John Butler and Bart Rodgers had already started making plans to bring an SPHL Hockey Team to Peoria and Bloomington, IL.

So now for the 32nd straight year Peoria will have pro hockey (old-IHL, ECHL, AHL), this time in the Southern Professional Hockey League. Most people believe Peoria will soon get an ECHL team. I will have to say that I enjoyed ECHL hockey the best!

Let me try this one last time: Congratulations to the Utica Comets. It is quite an accomplishment to sell 500 season tickets in just 4 days. Sounds like you have an awesome local management group......you are quite fortunate. I hope the Canucks fulfill their contract and play at least 6 years in Utica.

1000 season tickets in 4 days, actually.

Let me try this one last time: Congratulations to the Utica Comets. It is quite an accomplishment to sell 500 season tickets in just 4 days. Sounds like you have an awesome local management group......you are quite fortunate. I hope the Canucks fulfill their contract and play at least 6 years in Utica.

they sold over a thousand season ticket, not 500

The things that Peoria hockey fans are bitter about include: (1) Canucks at time of their visit were hellbent on moving their farm near Vancouver.....so Peoria fans though they might only be in Peoria for one year; (2) Canucks were insistent on the City of Peoria picking up any revenue losses in excess of $1.5 million/yr; (3) Canucks wanted $1 million renovation in Rivermen Locker Room, which had just been renovated 8 years previously for a 7 figure $$$ (locker room probably looked better than Canucks existing locker room); and Canucks wanted 2 former GM's of Rivermen to run the local management side of the business, John Butler and Bart Rodgers.

There was just NO way Peoria was going to pony up and make up any revenue losses, especially up to $1.5 million!

John Butler and Bart Rodgers had already started making plans to bring an SPHL Hockey Team to Peoria and Bloomington, IL.

So now for the 32nd straight year Peoria will have pro hockey (old-IHL, ECHL, AHL), this time in the Southern Professional Hockey League. Most people believe Peoria will soon get an ECHL team. I will have to say that I enjoyed ECHL hockey the best!

did you ACTUALLY just say that your locker room, that is nearly a decade old, in some podunk AHL arena in the midwest probaly looked better than the multimillion dollar renovated 5 year old NHL locker room? Really?

please leave and never come back. Have fun with your bush league semi-pro hockey from a league that noone ever heard of before. I hope you get your laughable ECHL goonfest league team soon. if the ECHL is your epitome of hockey clearly you have no taste, i've seen midget A (not even midget AAA) games that were heads and shoulders above the ECHL.

Alternate response: Those grapes were probably sour anyway.

Archived