The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else writing the lsat tomorrow?

canuckbeliever

If you do make it to law school, make sure you finish really high in your class because the market is really small for lawyers right now. Good luck.

I finished a BEd and realized how small the job pool is, so I considered going back for law. Turns out, it's pretty much just as bad in that field, too.

Both BEd programs and law schools are turning out way too many graduates, the market is over-saturated. If you're genuinely passionate about law and this is the thing that interests you the most, by all means. But if you're doing this because you think it will be a "good career move" you may be in for a rude awakening.

Also, be prepared to make peanuts when you first start out, if you get through everything else.

Anyway, if you really want to do well, make sure you master the games section when preparing for the LSAT. I found that to be the make or break section for myself, anyway.

If you do make it to law school, make sure you finish really high in your class because the market is really small for lawyers right now. Good luck.

There are plenty of jobs if you're willing to travel outside of the major metropolitan areas. Keep that in mind, OP!

I finished a BEd and realized how small the job pool is, so I considered going back for law. Turns out, it's pretty much just as bad in that field, too.

Also, be prepared to make peanuts when you first start out, if you get through everything else.

Unless you are doing human rights law, you'll make about 70k+ in you first year as a lawyer in Vancouver. After coming from being a student racking up debt, it feels like more than peanuts. By year 4 must lawyers are at six figures.

As long as you get into a reputable school (UBC or UVic) and don't finish in the bottom 10% of your class, you'll probably find a job within a few months of graduating. Some people have to go to Kelowna for a year or two, but that's rare.

The job market for lawyers is much better than the one for teachers.

If that doesn't make you weep it should.

Nah, I'd rather people be awarded who had to go through their undergrad degree, LSAT, law school, and the Bar Exam be rewarded than someone who teaches at the most advanced level an advanced placement class which is the equivalent to a first year university class. Honestly, someone who really wants to could learn high school subjects fairly easily, especially math or even physics & chemistry, using Internet resources.

Unless you are doing human rights law, you'll make about 70k+ in you first year as a lawyer in Vancouver. After coming from being a student racking up debt, it feels like more than peanuts. By year 4 must lawyers are at six figures.

As long as you get into a reputable school (UBC or UVic) and don't finish in the bottom 10% of your class, you'll probably find a job within a few months of graduating. Some people have to go to Kelowna for a year or two, but that's rare.

The job market for lawyers is much better than the one for teachers.

Guy I went to Uvic with went into law and got on with the ministry of finance doing intellectual property contracts. He was over 100k a year very quickly. He worked for the Legal Services Society (Legal Aid) for a number of months before he got on at the Gov. but legal services has been gutted by budget cuts over the years since he worked there.

If that doesn't make you weep it should.

Not really. Just because few markets are as bad as the one for teachers in BC.

The solution? Canada having a centralized education program like the rest of the world. We do not need millions of students enrolled in liberal arts degrees. It does not make you less of a person of you enter a trade or a technical program.

Archived