The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL in 4k

exhile

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, exhile said:

Telus is offering wireless 4k boxes for a while now but the only worthy channel is TSN 4K which broadcasts Raptors games.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/tv/new/hardware?lang=en&prov=bc&linktype=nav&INTCMP=LNK_frmCTA_TopNavigationAll_toHardware__EN

And even those 4k games only occur once every couple of weeks or so.  Otherwise, their 4k channel is filled with regular HD broadcasts.

On 2016-02-20 at 10:51 AM, Toni Zamboni said:

how come netflix can deliver 4k without the need to purchase extra hardware boxes as long as you have a 4k tv?

and who even uses rogers cable anymore?

shaw and telus need to step up their game for sure.

i was pretty disappointed to find out that 4k hockey is not offered by shaw.

Because Netflix doesn't use any hardware. It simply a file sent/streamed via the Internet. (If you watch Netflix via AppleTV, that still won't support 4K)

Telus/Rogers/Bell signals on the other hand are analog (fiber optic is digital) but it still needs to be converted via hardware (set top box)...thus hardware is the limit here. 

Rogers Cable is big back East as Shaw has regional rights in Western Canada. (You don't see Shaw back East). 

Shaw and Telus do...but right now you have to look at the big picture. Rogers and Bell have a vested interest in the NHL (owning MLSE, Canadian broadcasting rights (Rogers), and regional rights (Bell)). They are currently duking it out so they need to over the 4K content to remain competitive in the eastern market.

Out West, Shaw and Telus have no vested interest in hockey and so why would they want to roll out hardware (jumping to 4K - keeping in mind Shaw is still 720), just to promote the Bell and Rogers brand. 

It will be slowly rolled out, but the amount of channels is slim. I don't even think Shaws network can handle the extra bandwidth

8 hours ago, canucks.bradley said:

Because Netflix doesn't use any hardware. It simply a file sent/streamed via the Internet. (If you watch Netflix via AppleTV, that still won't support 4K)

Telus/Rogers/Bell signals on the other hand are analog (fiber optic is digital) but it still needs to be converted via hardware (set top box)...thus hardware is the limit here. 

Rogers Cable is big back East as Shaw has regional rights in Western Canada. (You don't see Shaw back East). 

Shaw and Telus do...but right now you have to look at the big picture. Rogers and Bell have a vested interest in the NHL (owning MLSE, Canadian broadcasting rights (Rogers), and regional rights (Bell)). They are currently duking it out so they need to over the 4K content to remain competitive in the eastern market.

Out West, Shaw and Telus have no vested interest in hockey and so why would they want to roll out hardware (jumping to 4K - keeping in mind Shaw is still 720), just to promote the Bell and Rogers brand. 

It will be slowly rolled out, but the amount of channels is slim. I don't even think Shaws network can handle the extra bandwidth

thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciated.

i still have yet to watch an nhl game in 4k.......when i watched my first game in hd after switching from an sd tv...it was a major upgrade, i was blown away...i dont know if the quality leap to 4k will be as big a difference from hd to 4k....but time will tell.

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciated.

i still have yet to watch an nhl game in 4k.......when i watched my first game in hd after switching from an sd tv...it was a major upgrade, i was blown away...i dont know if the quality leap to 4k will be as big a difference from hd to 4k....but time will tell.

No problem! I actually didn't see the initial post date as well!

Updates since early 2016 - Telus has been rolling out their fiber optic network which gives them more bandwidth to send 4k signals. This is still hardware dependent and more money per month, but the hardware for Telus is here now! 

Still no news on Shaw though. But I think it would be awhile. They still need to clear more frequency since they are dependent on the copper cable lines. 

I haven't seen 4K hockey either, but if you just jumped from SD to HD, I think that is good enough for now. 4K tech will only get better moving forward (and cheaper)

Also! an 8K TV was unveiled at CES this year! So we have that coming down the pipeline too lol

I remember my buddy buying a SD 42" flat screen for $1800, crazy what that can buy now.  I remember my parents spending $1700 of a hifi Zenith VCR back in the 70's, it had a 'space phone' button that none of us knew how it worked.  I recently looked it up and that was a neat little feature way ahead of it's time.  I bought a 4k TV last year for $1100, happy with it though it may be spying on me.

The reason why Shaw hasn't rolled 4k is because back east, Rogers is having problems with their nextbox 4k terminal and certain 4k TVs. Until this problem is resolved, then will Shaw deploy 4k. Right now, only Telus offers 4k but limited to one sports channel which is TSN 4k.

does nhl.com stream 4k with the yearly package?  I'm tempted to buy that but I have zero cable access on our 4k.  

I'm tempted to give it ago. but I'm hoping to put off buying the 4k ready Xbox or ps4.  any thoughts?

love our 4k 40 inch omg lol. so much better then the 720p 32 inch

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

does nhl.com stream 4k with the yearly package?  I'm tempted to buy that but I have zero cable access on our 4k.  

I'm tempted to give it ago. but I'm hoping to put off buying the 4k ready Xbox or ps4.  any thoughts?

love our 4k 40 inch omg lol. so much better then the 720p 32 inch

NHL.com doesn't stream 4k with their yearly package nor do they support linux. Perhaps in a few more seasons they will. I'm enjoying my 70" 4k TV by watching 4k available content on YouTube. You can really see the difference between HD vs. 4k.

8 minutes ago, exhile said:

NHL.com doesn't stream 4k with their yearly package nor do they support linux. Perhaps in a few more seasons they will. I'm enjoying my 70" 4k TV by watching 4k available content on YouTube. You can really see the difference between HD vs. 4k.

youtube eh.  that might be a good place to check out.  you can really tell the difference of 4k vs 720p.  it's like everything you watch on netflix is blu ray quality.  

:D  it pleases me very much lol

• 1 month later...

Telus has been broadcasting SN-4K and SN1-4K for 4 weeks now covering Blue Jays and Raptors games. Too bad the Raptors were swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers and Lebron James.  But the last 2 home games were broadcasted in 4K at the Air Canada Centre. The Blue Jays are not fairing too well either this season but you can watch them in 4K. Also in MLS Soccer, Toronto FC home games are being broadcasted in 4K.

Archived