The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens fielding offers for Nathan Beaulieu

Hello folks, Canucks/Habs fan here. Normally I just lurk the forums without posted, but figured I would make an account just to add some perspective from the Habs camp. 

The wording Bergevin may seem vague, but it has habs fans nervous because it is almost word for word what they said before trading Subban. He is an extremely private GM, and that paragraph is as close as Bergevin ever gets to "we are openly shopping this player".

It is absolutely linked to his recent stand against Therrien. After Therrien called Captain Patches the "worst captain in Canadiens history", Beaulieu tweeted about it. Saying "I have 23 witnesses that disagree". As evidenced recently with Subban, being a young dynamic defenseman who speaks out against management is a death sentence. 

Value wise I am a big fan of Beaulieu. He is young, big, skates well, and is strong possession player, given partners that match his style. He was miscast as an offensive dynamo due to his pre NHL numbers, but is settling in as a solid two way defenseman. He makes a good first pass, and in a pinch is more than willing to fight. 

There have been occasional mentions of him going out partying, although at least one of those fell on his birthday. 

All in all, I don't think you can get enough young, big, puck moving defensemen on controlled contracts. If the Canucks could land him, absolutely go for it. 

Gagnon from RDS suggests that they are either looking to get an LW2 or an upgrade on D.  At LW2, right now they have Shaw, Lehkonen (no NHL games), Carr (just above 20 games) and maybe Andrighetto competing for the spot. 

McKenzie was asked about those rumours this week.  He says they might be looking for a D2 but he is not aware of any on the market right now.  He says Beaulieu is apparently not progressing as quickly or playing as consistently as they want him to - he suggests they should be patient because he's a good D.  He doesn't think there's anything imminent but he wouldn't be surprised if their D looks quite different come the TDL.  He mentioned Emelin as another one that could be traded. 

Archived