The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus - Van (proposal)

Started thinking about this today, after reading the Markstrom to San Jose proposal

Markstrom and Loui Eriksson and a plus

for

Josh Andersson, Korpisalo 

Suggested plus...……...one of Lind/Karlsson/Lockwood/Goldobin/MacEwen

The add would gives Columbus various ways in which they could go, finesse/size/offense/versatility with this add

Columbus has tons of cap space, so can take on Eriksson's cap hit, although his actual pay is much less. Markstrom gives them a goalie that can stop the puck.

Vancouver does this to get Heavier, and clear cap. In a vacuum, Vancouver adds, but with so many teams needing a starter, this is a win win.

Korpisalo is a RFA at the end of the year and will be a cheap re-signing and stop gap for DiPietro

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The plus would be Podkolzin + Hoglander + 1st + Gaudette.

Or alternatively one of Hughes or Boeser.

This is laughable from Columbus' end. They block your number and throw the phone out of the window. 

Now Boss

What you have typed does not have any contribution to the conversation...no value at all

So, why do you say that, and would it still be worth pursuing.....

What do you really think it would take?

Andersson has 2 points this year in 7 games and is a -6

So, is he worth going after? And I get that he will come out of this funk, but he is playing 3rd line this year

I still value him...so what does it take?

Is it Markstrom and a 2021 1st? Is it more?

Is it Markstrom and Virtanen?

I mean his highest total has been 47 points, nothing to sneeze at, but certainly not elite, by any means

Absolutely, nothing that you suggested...come one man!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The plus would be Podkolzin + Hoglander + 1st + Gaudette.

Or alternatively one of Hughes or Boeser.

This is laughable from Columbus' end. They block your number and throw the phone out of the window. 

I think you need to check your numbers again. Wow

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

sStarted thinking about this today, after reading the Markstrom to San Jose proposal

Markstrom and Loui Eriksson and a plus

for

Josh Andersson, Korpisalo 

Suggested plus...……...one of Lind/Karlsson/Lockwood/Goldobin/MacEwen

The add would gives Columbus various ways in which they could go, finesse/size/offense/versatility with this add

Columbus has tons of cap space, so can take on Eriksson's cap hit, although his actual pay is much less. Markstrom gives them a goalie that can stop the puck.

Vancouver does this to get Heavier, and clear cap. In a vacuum, Vancouver adds, but with so many teams needing a starter, this is a win win.

Korpisalo is a RFA at the end of the year and will be a cheap re-signing and stop gap for DiPietro

why on earth would we trade markstrom for ?  every day someone wants to trade marky  the team is going well demko has been good  ,but what happened last year when we had to call diperto up  hmmmm you want that again ? korposalo is terrible  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

why on earth would we trade markstrom for ?  every day someone wants to trade marky  the team is going well demko has been good  ,but what happened last year when we had to call diperto up  hmmmm you want that again ? korposalo is terrible  

I dont think anyone wants to trade marky... I think everyone would love to keep marky!!!!

I think the idea of moving marky comes from the fact hes a ufa at the end of the season.... he will be getting a large raise we need to fit under cap and still sign our other upcoming young stars, we probably cant protect both marky and demko and expansion draft, and the fact his return has never been higher. These things make some of us ponder moving him.... defenitly not a want!! But small possibility of a need.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

I dont think anyone wants to trade marky... I think everyone would love to keep marky!!!!

I think the idea of moving marky comes from the fact hes a ufa at the end of the season.... he will be getting a large raise we need to fit under cap and still sign our other upcoming young stars, we probably cant protect both marky and demko and expansion draft, and the fact his return has never been higher. These things make some of us ponder moving him.... defenitly not a want!! But small possibility of a need.

yes I get that  but why risk the season  we are having   ?   we can still sign marky and trade him later  just not now

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

That is a good point Grinder and I am only trying to bring up a conversation like this to provoke discussion. 

Where and when does making a move like this make sense? I mean, he is not as good as Horvat, but he is a big body that we could really use.

So I bring it up for discussion, and for all to put their 2 cents worth in...

Lets brain storm...…..

What would the cost be?

Also, I believe Korposalo is an average back up, just not a starter. If you look at his numbers, they are just that. It also does help this year when they had lost so many premium players. Korposalo is not a starter. I feel (right or wrong) that Demko is, and I feel that we will move Markstrom at some point, unless Demko falls off a cliff.

Where Andersson came from, was watching the Canucks the last 2 days, is that bigger teams take liberties on some of our players. A player like Andersson can play top 6 and still be on the ice 20 minutes a night. That is what you need for the playoffs......

So, putting it all together....aka moving Markstrom and liking Andersson, and here we are...……...

let's figure out the cost

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That is a good point Grinder and I am only trying to bring up a conversation like this to provoke discussion. 

Where and when does making a move like this make sense? I mean, he is not as good as Horvat, but he is a big body that we could really use.

So I bring it up for discussion, and for all to put their 2 cents worth in...

Lets brain storm...…..

What would the cost be?

Also, I believe Korposalo is an average back up, just not a starter. If you look at his numbers, they are just that. It also does help this year when they had lost so many premium players. Korposalo is not a starter. I feel (right or wrong) that Demko is, and I feel that we will move Markstrom at some point, unless Demko falls off a cliff.

Where Andersson came from, was watching the Canucks the last 2 days, is that bigger teams take liberties on some of our players. A player like Andersson can play top 6 and still be on the ice 20 minutes a night. That is what you need for the playoffs......

So, putting it all together....aka moving Markstrom and liking Andersson, and here we are...……...

let's figure out the cost

it is not the right time  I would resign markstrom  for 3 years at 5 ish  and expose him in the expansion draft or trade him before the expansion draft,  keep mikey in Utica  , give demko more games ,  demko looks ready but is he really ready  ?    if you think we need more size  I rather give big zack in Utica a whirl 

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yes I get that  but why risk the season  we are having   ?   we can still sign marky and trade him later  just not now

I am not against what you are saying there Grinder....I see the merit to your point. and if we could resign Marky for 4 Million per and get him past the Seattle draft, I would be all for it, and for the players suggested by me, we could probably get him by Seattle, with some form of that......but we are not getting him for 4 Million per, and the better our season is, the more all will want......that is how it works...……..for instance Jake has 7 points in 14 games...…...those are very close to Andersson's numbers, and there will be a few more having seasons like that.....

So, how do we pay them all? ………..for instance Demko's numbers are better than Billington's (last years runner up to Pettey), then there is Pettersson, and Hughes, and Virtanen, and also Marky and Tanev and possibly Tryamkin...we will be moving someone, and you can only play 1 goalie at a time, so Marky will be gone...mark my works

So, as usual, CDC does not like to move players at the top of their game (and I get that) but if Marky and Tanev are both healthy at the TDL, don't you think we should be 

moving them....both need to be signed at the end of the year

So, as Snapshot suggested, it is not a perfect time, and it never will be, but we gain valuable assets at a good time, if we trade good assets. It's a tough call.....

But getting Andersson, is a good move if it could happen...………..which why I thought about this proposal...…..

And I do not for a second think my idea should be done right this minute...…...

But wanted to bring it forward as a point of discussion...…….

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, the grinder said:

it is not the right time  I would resign markstrom  for 3 years at 5 ish  and expose him in the expansion draft or trade him before the expansion draft,  keep mikey in Utica  , give demko more games ,  demko looks ready but is he really ready  ?    if you think we need more size  I rather give big zack in Utica a whirl 

Two …...3 things......

Markstrom's value goes down if he founders, and/or the closer to the draft, when every team knows we have to trade him

Secondly, there are lots of goalies that have become starters at 22 or 23....I just believe Demko is that good

Thirdly......Big Zack can not crack this line up as a 4th liner....Big John can play 2 line...….there a big difference in the players...huge

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Two …...3 things......

Markstrom's value goes down if he founders, and/or the closer to the draft, when every team knows we have to trade him

Secondly, there are lots of goalies that have become starters at 22 or 23....I just believe Demko is that good

Thirdly......Big Zack can not crack this line up as a 4th liner....Big John can play 2 line...….there a big difference in the players...huge

So why couldn't CBJ's young goalies become starters too.  Korpisalo is still adjusting to being a starter - it also took Markstrom time to become reliable.  They also have Elvis Merzlikins who they believe can also become a starter as he adjusts to the league.  

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of the season.  Not every goalie does well with every goalie coach or system.  Ian Clark helped turn Markstrom's career around and the fit might not be there with CBJ's own goalie coach. It's apparently a very special relationship and not a position where you can just move players around and expect them to do as well.  It's also systems.  

Anderson made an impact the last playoffs with his physical play.  Doubt CBJ has any interest in trading him.  They are a young team that is still growing and he fits their age group.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

So why couldn't CBJ's young goalies become starters too.  Korpisalo is still adjusting to being a starter - it also took Markstrom time to become reliable.  They also have Elvis Merzlikins who they believe can also become a starter as he adjusts to the league.  

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of the season.  Not every goalie does well with every goalie coach or system.  Ian Clark helped turn Markstrom's career around and the fit might not be there with CBJ's own goalie coach. It's apparently a very special relationship and not a position where you can just move players around and expect them to do as well.  It's also systems.  

Anderson made an impact the last playoffs with his physical play.  Doubt CBJ has any interest in trading him.  They are a young team that is still growing and he fits their age group.  

Everyone has their price...the question is what is the cost, which was what I was getting at

If it is more...……..how much...……..

If he is that good, would Markstrom, a 1st and Madden be enough? Obviously, if you listen to Horvat is a Boss...….I have not a clue....so I ask!

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Everyone has their price...the question is what is the cost, which was what I was getting at

If it is more...……..how much...……..

If he is that good, would Markstrom, a 1st and Madden be enough? Obviously, if you listen to Horvat is a Boss...….I have not a clue....so I ask!

Markstrom is a UFA while they have 2 goalies who they think could become starters.  I doubt they would have interest.  It's not like their team has already all the pieces to become legit contenders.   Their top-6 is not even consolidated.  It feels like a needless move right now with where their team is at.

Tortorella by the way wants to play fast fast fast as he says - cannot see them adding Eriksson.  

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Not sure this works for Columbus. I’m sure they’d love Markstrom but I honestly don’t know if Loui is tradable 

I love the idea though!

Id take Josh Anderson on my team anyway 

So, my method of trades is to get other people debating the cost....

I know it is naïve of me, but I always hope that we can talk about it

and maybe together, come out with a cost, then debate whether that 

cost is worth it.....

I appreciate your comments on this...….thanks

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, the grinder said:

Korpisalo is just a back up, not a 1A / 1B situation guy, so that heaves Demko into the #1, which is a bit risky.. but I bet that Clark could get the best out of ol' joonas (although it might take a year..)

I don't actually like the trade though - timing is off.. Anderson seems like a legit power forward, but we might have that soon between Jake & /or Podz anyways. best not to upset the apple cart at this point, maybe revisit at the tdl.. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

that's right, I believe Elvis is their Demko 

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Two …...3 things......

ok   a few things then    1  no one wants Eriksson  

2   a goalie can flounder at anytime but marky stats have been consistent

3  demko is good but he hasn't even played 50 games yet  

4 we have depth in goal we need that going forward

5  last year  when dipierto  had to be called up

6   your betting on crapasalo to play  20 games   

7  big zack is capable of playing 4 th line just a numbers game 

8  don't screw with the chemistry we have built up 

9  we can sign and trade markstrom   later  

10 marky value he is a ufa like you said   his worth  maybe a low 2nd round pick  , if your lucky  

23 minutes ago, the grinder said:

ok   a few things then    1  no one wants Eriksson  

Eriksson's is a decent defensive player, it is just his cap hit that, makes it look like such an over payment

2   a goalie can flounder at anytime but marky stats have been consistent

Marky has been consistent for less than a year...he started playing good around Christmas

3  demko is good but he hasn't even played 50 games yet

Demko has always been elite and has always shown a steady progression, he is also a hell of a lot younger 

4 we have depth in goal we need that going forward

That is true, but we also need cap space, and with both contracts coming up with 2 years, we can not afford both

5  last year  when dipierto  had to be called up

True.....as an under-ager, in his first pro game......he is looking great so far this year

6   your betting on crapasalo to play  20 games  

Yes, I would bet that 

7  big zack is capable of playing 4 th line just a numbers game 

If he was going to make a difference, he would be here

8  don't screw with the chemistry we have built up 

Pro players are use to players coming in and going out...it is the nature of the beast, and they know cap and can count

9  we can sign and trade markstrom   later  

Yes we could, but for a lesser return IMO

10 marky value he is a ufa like you said   his worth  maybe a low 2nd round pick  , if your lucky

I actually don't think I said what his value was, but I think he is worth a 2nd and a prospect