The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

From ESPN

Two L.A. groups approach Vikings

Two different groups interested in bringing an NFL team to Los Angeles have approached the Minnesota Vikings about possible relocation, Vikings vice president of public affairs Lester Bagley said in a chat on the team's website Tuesday.

"We have been approached by two different groups in Los Angeles -- the Ed Roski group and more recently by former Timberwolves CEO Tim Leiweke and AEG," Bagley said in the chat.

Bagley said that team owner Zygi Wilf and Vikings management toured L.A. Live, an entertainment complex located in the city's downtown area, in 2009. According to Bagley, the group was looking for ideas on building a similiar entertainment district in Minnesota.

The Vikings are in their final year on their lease at the Metrodome and have been pushing to get a new stadium approved.

The Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota football team have both moved out of the outdated building to shiny new facilities of their own. Since 2002, Minnesota has been playing in the Metrodome rent-free, a gesture made to acknowledge the building's difficulty in producing revenue.

Bagley said the Vikings have told both interested groups that the organization is "focused on resolving the issue in Minnesota."

"We feel solid momentum and feel we're well-positioned with the new legislature and governor," he said in the chat. "Instead of spending energy speculating on other markets, let's keep the focus on building a world-class facility for the community and the state of Minnesota."

Both the Rams and the Raiders were once a part of the nation's second-biggest market in Los Angeles.

Speaking at a fundraiser for downtown Los Angeles in early October, Leiweke said he was still working on getting an NFL team to the area. Leiweke also said he's committed to working with city officials and AEG's Phillip Anshutz, to make a downtown stadium a reality.

Roski has permission to build an NFL stadium in Industry, Calif., about 15 miles outside of downtown Los Angeles.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ah, the one I'm in is spreads. Plus the confidence points and all that crap.

Brady hasn't lost a home regular season game since like 2006. Although the Jets are 5-0 on the road this year.

Oh and I heard Big Ben was in a boot this week. Supposed to play on Sunday though, I don't see him missing this game. Could be big in deciding home field in the playoffs.

Going to be 2 great games. I'll be watching.

From PFT:

Terrell Suggs says league favors Tom Brady and Peyton Manning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/01/terrell-suggs-says-league-favors-tom-brady-and-peyton-manning/

According to Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, there are rules for two well known quarterbacks and rules for everyone else.

“The league has their favorites,” Suggs said via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don’t care.

“Like I always said, Carson Palmer got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines — it’s just getting ridiculous.”

We’ve seen this quote reprinted in a few places without anyone mentioning that the league did modify their rules after Palmer’s injury. But why get in the way of a good T-Sizzle quote? He’ll be here all week:

On Ed Reed: “When you’ve got a guy like that, he’s like American Express. He’s everywhere you want to be.”

On the reason for Suggs’ improved play this season: “I quit doing cocaine.” (That one cracked me up.)

And the the lack of suspensions after the Andre Johnson-Cortland Finnegan fight: “Maybe [if] I throw some punches at a quarterback with a bad hairdo, I’d get thrown out of the league.”

Ochocinco says he’ll buy the unsold tickets for Sunday's game against the Saints to avoid a blackout

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco doesn’t like the fact that the team will be experiencing its second straight blackout on Sunday against the Saints. After complaining about it on Twitter (he said his “level of pissivity” is at an “all-time high,” and he has railed against the price of tickets), Ochocinco made a bold proclamation.

He said that he’ll buy the unsold seats.

“Dear Cincinnati,” Chad writes, “I’m purchasing the remaining tickets for Sundays game, blackout my ass, now anybody know how many I need [to] buy n how much?”

Under a previously little-known rule, teams may purchase all remaining non-premium tickets at 34 cents on the dollar. If that exception extends to individual players, Chad would be able to write the check that covers the visitor’s share of the box office proceeds.

In a subsequent message, Ochocinco writes that he has spoken to team management, and that he’s “gone make this shhh happen.”

“We might be 2-9 but if i gotta play u gotta watch!!” Ochocinco said.

Actually, plenty of Cincinnati residents probably would prefer to watch something else on a Sunday afternoon.

Archived