The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I have been apart of military martial arts for 3 and a half years. and believe me I have seen many MMA wannabees get cracked open. its run on emotion and rage and it is designed for a ring.

MMA would never last on the street with multiple opponets while ypu have one guy in a guillotine the otherguys are kicking your head in. its very impractical. canada has the greatest un armed combat system in the world but instead you guys go american and stick to the very impractical MMA which is why soldiers over there are getting ripped apart by insugents who have no concept of a ring sport.

I enjoy MMA purely as a sport they are hardend athletes and are very good at what they do but dont call MMA a fighting style because it doesnt last 10 seconds out in the street.

Haha, well there's a huge difference from fighting to survive, and professional fighting. If I was fighting to survive I wouldn't be looking for an arm-bar. I'd go for the groin, a punch to the throat, eye gouge, etc. :D

I have been apart of military martial arts for 3 and a half years. and believe me I have seen many MMA wannabees get cracked open. its run on emotion and rage and it is designed for a ring.

MMA would never last on the street with multiple opponets while ypu have one guy in a guillotine the otherguys are kicking your head in. its very impractical. canada has the greatest un armed combat system in the world but instead you guys go american and stick to the very impractical MMA which is why soldiers over there are getting ripped apart by insugents who have no concept of a ring sport.

I enjoy MMA purely as a sport they are hardend athletes and are very good at what they do but dont call MMA a fighting style because it doesnt last 10 seconds out in the street.

I'm interested in this "Gang Brawling League" you propose. Tell us more about Canada's greatest un armed combat system in the world.

MMA is superior in 1 on 1 combat. You could potentially ward off more attackers too.

Its not made to fight 10 guys or defend against someone shooting at you or airplanes dropping bombs on you.

canada has the greatest unarmed combat system? hm? MMA is the product of fighting from all over the world refined. I doubt that Canada has a special fighting secret people dont know about.

canada has the greatest unarmed combat system? hm? MMA is the product of fighting from all over the world refined. I doubt that Canada has a special fighting secret people dont know about.

It's got something to do with getting your buddy to kick your opponent in the back.

edit: Apparently, this is a method the Thais and the Americans haven't thought of.

Edited by Ambulocetus

What the hell are babbling about?? Canada has the greatest unarmed combat system in the world??? I don't even know what that means. Then you bring up insurgents?? Such a terrible argument.

So you're saying that if these soldiers knew karate or kung-fu then we could defeat the insurgents?? :lol:

I love that. "Out on the streets...." Yaaaah, where all the "real" fighting begins. :lol: WHO CARES???

Edited by Johnny.

It's got something to do with getting your buddy to kick your opponent in the back.

edit: Apparently, this is a method the Thais and the Americans haven't thought of.

hmm.. MMA tag team...

Since when is something considered a fighting style only if it lasts out in the street?

No ones saying it's a fighting style, anyway. It's either a combination, or whichever style you prefer. You can go 100% Muay Thai if you want, and if it leads to victory, then great. Most people will combine a standing style with a ground one to give them the best chance to succeed.

What's with people using the term MMA as if it's a thing?

Mixed martial arts. It means their training can not be lumped into a single category, so don't treat it as a category. Your military training? That's mma. The emphasis is just different from the styles you see in UFC bouts.

UFC is a sport, and as a sport there are rules and precautions taken so that a loss in the ring doesn't mean the end of your career or months and months of rehab. If it was a street fight it wouldn't go to the ground as much, and you'd probably see more people getting their knees kicked in, their testicles shattered, and their necks crushed. It's a sport, and so it's not going to be as deadly as combat training with survival in mind. Sport vs life and death - it's a retarded comparison.

UFC is "As real as it gets" in so far as prize fighting for entertainment. Take a UFC champ and tell him the next fight is life or death. Think you'll see the same kind of fight?

Take a UFC champ and tell him the next fight is life or death. Think you'll see the same kind of fight?

You'd probably see more of the Kalib Starnes "I want to run away but I'm trapped inside this chain link fence" tactics.

Well, I'll just jump in and add this to the "argument."

Unless they're in movies or have a chain of schools, I don't believe the various masters of the individual martial arts disciplines are making a whole lot of money. Therefore, if a particular black belt holder (of whichever martial art you prefer) was, in fact, a more effective fighter, one-on-one in a confined ring, he could try out for UFC, win lots of matches and a championship, and get rich.

The fact that you don't see people doing that is, to me, a pretty good indication that employing one specific fighting technique in a real fighting situation is a detriment, not an asset.

Yes, martial arts can be beautiful and impressive to behold, but UFC isn't graded on style. It's graded on who wins the fight.

I will have to agree with you on the fact that many masters/teachers do not make much money from martial arts, take my brother for example, he has a kung-fu school in Edmonton he also has a full time job so he can keep the school running.

But most masters wouldn't want to get in a cage and fight, that's not why they've learnt a specific martial arts, sure there are some that learn just to fight but most don't, it's there if they need it. The best defence is to not get into a fight.

Also you can take one specific martial arts that have other styles/systems within it. Just cause you know x art doesn't mean you can't fight on the ground or be deadly with your hands/feet etc.

So......

Apparently at UFC 87 now Roger Huerta won't be facing Kenny Florian????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_87

Who the hell is Gary Palmer??? He's not even listed on the UFC fighter roster. Is this maybe a joke?? It doesn't say anything about Kenny being injured. Hmmm. That kinda sucks. And now it looks like they've taken Guida/Danzig off!! WTF??

Tomorrow's PPV is a big MEH for me. Luckily, it's my buddy's stag and we're starting off at Edgewater so I don't actually have to pay for it!

So......

Apparently at UFC 87 now Roger Huerta won't be facing Kenny Florian????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_87

Who the hell is Gary Palmer??? He's not even listed on the UFC fighter roster. Is this maybe a joke?? It doesn't say anything about Kenny being injured. Hmmm. That kinda sucks. And now it looks like they've taken Guida/Danzig off!! WTF??

Tomorrow's PPV is a big MEH for me. Luckily, it's my buddy's stag and we're starting off at Edgewater so I don't actually have to pay for it!

Brock Lesnar ftw!!!

I can't believe Alves missed weight.. biggest fight of his life and he couldn't hit the mark. Just made a weak card even weaker. Even Dana thinks it's a ????ty card.

"I'm wondering if this kid [Thiago Alves] should be at 170 or not. If this were a title fight, I'd be really pissed. What are you going to do? Matt Hughes agreed to fight him at 175, so it's not all bad. … I can't wait to get this card behind me, to be honest with you. Eight guys dropped out. The main event guy can't make weight. It's crazy."

– UFC President Dana White

Edited by nucksfan@work

Pretty decent PPV tonight for what the card was.....

- Alves made Hughes look reeeeeally old. He scares me. GSP's gonna have a tough time with him if they ever meet!

- Bisping absolutely dominated Day as expected. Could he be the one to stop Anderson???

- Marquardt was robbed. Garbage call by Herb Dean (hitting the back of the head??). I HATED how Lietes celebrated after they announced his name. Lucky ????. What a joke.

- Swick handled Davis pretty easily I guess. Kinda saw that as a mismatch in the first place, despite Davis' 11-fight win streak.

- And of course, with Brandon Vera we get the "Noooo... I was fine!!!" bull. When you're getting pummelled like that with no answer, what else is the ref gonna do?? Good stoppage IMO.

- Bisping absolutely dominated Day as expected. Could he be the one to stop Anderson???

Michael Bisping beat Jason Day, a fighter who is not considered top tier, or top 10, it does not mean he now magically moves into title contention or into the top 10 MW rankings. When he fights and beats legitimate opposition, then you can start singing his praisies, but until then, he's fresh meat in the MW division. I am taking nothing away from his impressive victory, but people shouting for him to get a shot at Anderson Silva are ????ing nuts. A win over McCarthy and Day does not = a title shot. Kampmann and Leben should be on the horizon and then gate keeper Franklin. Don't look past those fights because you're putting the cart before the horse.

Michael Bisping beat Jason Day, a fighter who is not considered top tier, or top 10, it does not mean he now magically moves into title contention or into the top 10 MW rankings. When he fights and beats legitimate opposition, then you can start singing his praisies, but until then, he's fresh meat in the MW division. I am taking nothing away from his impressive victory, but people shouting for him to get a shot at Anderson Silva are ????ing nuts. A win over McCarthy and Day does not = a title shot. Kampmann and Leben should be on the horizon and then gate keeper Franklin. Don't look past those fights because you're putting the cart before the horse.

Where did ever shout for him to get a title shot?? Basically what I was trying to say was at this rate, the way he looks (which is pretty much unstoppable, especially at Middleweight), he could be the one to eventually do it.

And IMO, Bisping would kill all three of the guys you mentioned. Even Franklin.