The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Looks like Vegas shifted the betting lines for the GSP and Alves fight. This match has the potential to be an upset, I just put some money down on Alves, cant go wrong with +219 over -279 for GSP or on Ladbrokes, it's 3.40 odds for Alves while GSP is at 1.40.

LAS VEGAS -- The UFC is looking at coming to Vancouver next June, co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said Saturday.

"Canada's been really difficult to navigate in," Fertitta told a question-and-answer session at the UFC Fan Expo. "It's an interesting situation because I think pound-for-pound the UFC is more popular in Canada than any other country including the U.S.A. I mean, it's amazing."

But there are sanctioning problems about staging live events in some provinces, noted Fertitta

"We're in discussions with the government about them changing its laws and we feel very positive about it," he added, without specifying which level of government. "Vancouver is somewhere we've made a lot of progress. We've actually pencilled in our June pay-per-view for Vancouver of next year."

The UFC has held two cards in Canada to date, both in Montreal: UFC 83 in April 2008 and UFC 97 in April 2009. Each was a sellout at the Bell Centre, setting a record for an MMA audience in North America.

The mixed martial arts organization is also holding talks with the Ontario government about bringing the sport there. UFC president Dana White had said he hoped to hold an event in Toronto later this year, but has now revised that forecast to 2010.

"We're going to be in Toronto. I guarantee it," he told fans Saturday. "And it will be the biggest mixed martial arts event in North America."

The Rogers Centre has been cited as a possible venue.

White said the success of the sport in Canada caught the UFC by surprise.

"Canada is the Mecca of mixed martial arts right now and I didn't see that one coming," he said.

http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=284459

I'm not going to get too excited right now, but this would be huge.