The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I think he has the ability to do so, but what I am gonna be watching for is how he handles bigger guys. That and his chin, I can't remember him having to withstand too many huge shots, getting rocked and working through it. Hopefully Irvin is game and turns it into a proper battle.

I like Silva but it gets almost depressing watching him absolutely destroy people while he looks like he's contemplating what colour to paint his house :P I was so excited at the end of round 1 vs Henderson, then Wham! Silva's back to making superstars look like amateurs :o

Haha, totally. Poor Rich Franklin, he was dominant for a while until Silva came along and made him his female dog. Completely destroyed, twice.

lots of people say Franklin is overhyped and ducks fights.

I was hoping to see him fight Hendo. Dan was saying he wanted to fight rich but he thought that Rich would duck him.

:D looks like that happened.

lots of people say Franklin is overhyped and ducks fights.

I was hoping to see him fight Hendo. Dan was saying he wanted to fight rich but he thought that Rich would duck him.

:D looks like that happened.

I've always wondered how Dana White and Joe Silva deal with guys who want to pick and choose who they fight? I'm sure guys try and come up with decent excuses like injuries or scheduling conflicts, but you'd think eventually they'd say enough is enough. Fight or go home :P

Hmm, that must be Franklin's way of ducking Silva :P

As well, apparently Jesse Taylor and CB Dolloway are going to be given a second chance.

http://mmamania.com/2008/07/02/jesse-taylo...4-fight-booked/

I'm all for Jesse getting a second chance, but CB's getting another fight that quick? Jesse should destroy him. I actually hope he destroys him, and gets his $h!t together.

I'm all for Jesse getting a second chance, but CB's getting another fight that quick? Jesse should destroy him. I actually hope he destroys him, and gets his $h!t together.

Absolutely agree. You look at all the crap Fitch went through to get televised and finally a title shot. Rich kids like CB should have to work their way up like everyone else :P

And honestly, I have a hard time seeing CB beat Jesse. They have a very similar style but Jesse is much stronger and more aggressive.

I've always wondered how Dana White and Joe Silva deal with guys who want to pick and choose who they fight? I'm sure guys try and come up with decent excuses like injuries or scheduling conflicts, but you'd think eventually they'd say enough is enough. Fight or go home :P

heh yah i dunno. Henderson said Rich ducked him at the MMA Expo in Toronto a few weeks ago. Dan kept saying he wants rich but franklin would never respond. I wanted to see that fight, but now Hendo is fighting some no name dude. Seems boring.

Gotta love Hendo though. he will keep fighting top contenders even if he loses. Hes never been knocked out and has some strong punches. Maybe Franklin didnt want any of that especially after being destroyed by Silva.

oh well this should still be fun. UFC this week. then in a bit Affliction and UFC on the same night and then i think the CBS elite XC show. good time for fights.

edit: oh and fitch just got his jiu jitsu blackbelt.

Edited by Pfizer

... and then i think the CBS elite XC show. good time for fights.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not a hardcore fan by any means, but isn't that the ultra-crapulent thing that had that big black street person fighting the British plug with the huge pusbag ear?

No offense if you like that stuff, but that was the most boring "fight" I've ever seen. It was worse than that weasel from Surrey that spent the whole fight running away. At least that was funny.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not a hardcore fan by any means, but isn't that the ultra-crapulent thing that had that big black street person fighting the British plug with the huge pusbag ear?

No offense if you like that stuff, but that was the most boring "fight" I've ever seen. It was worse than that weasel from Surrey that spent the whole fight running away. At least that was funny.

Elite XC has some good fighters like Nick Diaz, eddie alvarez, frank shamrock, jake shields etc..

Problem is that the only fighter people know about is Kimbo Slice. He got famous for fighting people on the street and then uploading it on Youtube. Thats why they took that route. The ratings were huge for that fight even though Thompson (the ogre with the giant ear) and Kimbo (the youtube fighter) are both plugs that arent even mixed martial artists.

The best card on that fight was scott smith vs robbie lawler but the ratings were super low because no one know who they are. Plus that card in general was bad. No one displayed ground skills. Baroni is too 1 dimensional but since he was from the new york area they threw him on the show since it was in new jersey.

I think if that show Headlined with LAWLER vs SMITH! it wouldnt live up to the hype as Thompson vs Slice which was a circus but atleast people knew who the fighter was. check out his youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...ideo_view_count

they get millions of hits for some apparent reason. the general fan thinks hes actually a good fighter. They dont know that people like Couture, Liddell, Silva, would rip him apart.

Fedor Emelianko is the greatest fighter in Mixed Martial Arts but to the casual fan they have no idea who he is because he fights out of Russia so they have to use these American plugs to sell the Elite XC show.

This coming Affliction show has Fedor vs Silva. This is a huge matchup that people have wanted to see for a long time. But to the casual fan they see the ex UFC champion vs some pudgy russian dude.

that kalib starnes fight was hilarious. Here it is sped up with Benny Hill music :lol:

Edited by Pfizer

lol, well Johnny. beat me too it...was gonna ask everyone who they're rooting for :P

For me it's (in order on the fight card)...

1.Griffin

2.Cote

3.Stevenson

4.Lytle (I can't stand KoS)

5.Aurelio

6. Hmm, who cares...this fight will be time for a quick nap.

7.Gurgel

8.Siver

9.Hill. (anyone who can bark like an idiotic dog, and still be likable by the end of the show...gets my vote :P)

Edited by Silverforge