The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

People will have to wait longer in line.

http://globalnews.ca/news/779741/with-new-compass-card-skytrain-will-not-accept-bus-transfers/

When the new Compass Card is rolled out this fall, passengers who use bus transfer tickets from cash fares will not be able to use them on the SkyTrain.

Travellers will have to buy another single trip pass in order to continue their journey.

Translink says it would have cost $25 million to upgrade the fare boxes on the buses, and it is just too expensive to do so. The fare machines would need to be converted to dispense Compass Card compatible tickets.

About 6,000 customers will be affected by these changes – people who hop on the bus, pay by cash, and then hop on the SkyTrain to continue their journey.

Metro Vancouver Citizens have started a petition to ask Translink to reconsider this decision and stop the double transit fee.

When the Compass Card rolls out, there will be a transition period where both forms of payment will be accepted on the buses, but Translink will be encouraging people to buy the cards. It is not known when the Compass Card will come into effect.

• 2 weeks later...

New B-Line along King George -

23tha1f.jpg

A new, limited-stop B-Line service will be introduced along King George Boulevard and 104 Avenue, linking Guildford and Newton Exchange via Surrey Central. Service will operate seven days a week from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m, with service every 7-8 minutes between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.

96 Guilford/Newton Exchange

96 B-Line Route Map

• 1 month later...

Way to cheat Translink’s Compass card system discovered:

The new Compass card system is supposed to prevent fare evasion at a cost of nearly $200 million to taxpayers.

However, a way to scam the system has been discovered and it appears there’s not much Translink can do about it.

The Compass card system works this way: you scan your card when you enter a station, then scan it again when you get off the train at your destination stop.

The card automatically charges you a three zone fare, then credits your account when you get off in one zone or two.

As it turns out, those who want to evade the fare again can get off the train after one zone and scan their card so they’re only charged once at a lower rate.

Translink issued the following statement to Global News Tuesday evening:

“There will continue to be some areas where fare evasion may be possible and will concentrate our additional system improvements and ongoing fare checks in these areas. We want people to know that if they cheat the system and are caught, we will fine them.”

The Compass card is set to debut in 2014.

http://globalnews.ca/news/904617/way-to-cheat-translinks-compass-card-system-discovered/

Way to cheat Translink’s Compass card system discovered:

The new Compass card system is supposed to prevent fare evasion at a cost of nearly $200 million to taxpayers.

However, a way to scam the system has been discovered and it appears there’s not much Translink can do about it.

The Compass card system works this way: you scan your card when you enter a station, then scan it again when you get off the train at your destination stop.

The card automatically charges you a three zone fare, then credits your account when you get off in one zone or two.

As it turns out, those who want to evade the fare again can get off the train after one zone and scan their card so they’re only charged once at a lower rate.

Translink issued the following statement to Global News Tuesday evening:

“There will continue to be some areas where fare evasion may be possible and will concentrate our additional system improvements and ongoing fare checks in these areas. We want people to know that if they cheat the system and are caught, we will fine them.”

The Compass card is set to debut in 2014.

http://globalnews.ca...tem-discovered/

Not like this is a "new" discovery... Any half-brained person could have seen that one. Not only is it do-able with the rail system, but also on a bus. Simply "tap out" without actually getting out before a zone crossing, and you'll only be charged for the lesser fare.

I don't understand the scam. Can someone provide an example? I'm being serious.

Say I'm travelling from Downtown to YVR (Sea Island is its own zone, I'm sure you're aware). I can tap in at Waterfront, tap out at Marine Drive without exiting the station, hop back on the train and ride it to YVR. 1 fare zone paid, 2 fare zones travelled.

This should only be a problem on buses... As long as they implement the skytrain system like the London tube.

Example - Scan in at Nanaimo and travel to Metrotown. To try and cheat the fare, you scan out at Joyce (1 zone) and get back on the train. Then you have to next scan out at Metrotown where the barriers do not open as your Compass does not have an active trip.

For buses, in London you only scan in once because its a flat rate as long as you stay on the overground transport and zone based when you transfer to the tube.

From what they said on the news, it's only for buses. Basically you get on, go to the back, tap your card to get off, but don't So if you bus 2 or 3 zones, you can get away with only paying for one.

They do have a way to combat it though. They will have fare checkers with scanners get on the bus and check peoples cards.

I have one question here: With the skytrain, do you HAVE to scan your card in order to leave the station? I mean, are there fare gates that prevent you from leaving the station that only open when you scan your card? This is how most systems work...

If so, you could still cheat, but it'd be annoying as hell.

Get on the skytrain at King George. Ride to Surrey Central, get off the train, walk downstairs, tap out, but turn around and go back upstairs and get on the next train. Ride the train to Burrard, get off, go to the fare gates, scan in, get back on the train. Ride to waterfront, scan out as you leave.

If it's purely distance based, you come out ahead. If it's still zone based, then it depends on if 2x 1 zone is cheaper than 1x 3 zone or not (I can't remember). Also, it's annoying to have to do this.

I have one question here: With the skytrain, do you HAVE to scan your card in order to leave the station? I mean, are there fare gates that prevent you from leaving the station that only open when you scan your card? This is how most systems work...

Get on the skytrain at King George. Ride to Surrey Central, get off the train, walk downstairs, tap out, but turn around and go back upstairs and get on the next train. Ride the train to Burrard, get off, go to the fare gates, scan in, get back on the train. Ride to waterfront, scan out as you leave.

If it's purely distance based, you come out ahead. If it's still zone based, then it depends on if 2x 1 zone is cheaper than 1x 3 zone or not (I can't remember). Also, it's annoying to have to do this.

Yes, there are gates like most other systems. Of course you can just jump them, but there's always a way to cheat.

Your get on get off cheat would work, but sure would be a waste of time.

Technically you'd only pay for 1 one zone fare, since you still have 90 minutes of travel time on your fare.

So it's a one zone fare versus however many zones from King George to Waterfront.

Edited by Denguin

Have you guys never used this kind of system before?

no I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

I've seen other systems on video where only one person can enter the gate at a time but from what I've seen thats not possible with these, is it?

To me, it seems simple to just hold it open and have people keep going through it. I only see having to go through 1 gate, if there were a 2 gate system I could see how it would be difficult.

Edited by Grapefruits