The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

I think Translink should build a new SkyTrain station halfway between 22nd Street and New Westminster. The distance between the two stations is very far. Therefore, it makes sense to put a new station somewhere in Stewardson Way and 3rd Avenue.

On a related note, I wish the 99 B-Line would put a stop at Arbutus.

And I wish the Granville express buses would make a stop at 16th Avenue to connect with the 33 bus.

I think Translink should build a new SkyTrain station halfway between 22nd Street and New Westminster. The distance between the two stations is very far. Therefore, it makes sense to put a new station somewhere in Stewardson Way and 3rd Avenue.

That would be quite difficult and expensive.

How expensive could it be to build a platform, a roof, some escalators, and some stairs? The tracks are already in place.

First of all, they need to find a suitable length of stable grade levels along the track and they'll need about 110-metres of flat and straight track. Secondly, it's always much more expensive to add and modify on something that exists than to start from scratch and build new.

When VCC Station opened a few years ago, it cost close to $30-million to build. Today, each of the Canada Line elevated stations along No.3 Road cost $30-million to build....and note that these are new start from scratch stations along a new line, not to mention that these are also bare bone stations (compared to the Millennium Line) not to mention these stations are half the length of SkyTrain.

I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $80-million to build a station there.

There are several "future station" locations along both the Expo Line and Millennium Line. They aren't exactly "future planned stations", but they are lengths of track that are designed in a way to allow the future construction of a station, and thus a lower cost. There's one on Boundary Road, right beside the Telus block, and on the Millennium Line, by Woodlands right outside of the tunnel portal on the eastside.

Edited by nitronuts

nitronuts, will Translink repaint the Canada line eventually?

Some of them are white; others are only have color in the front.

Translink is not responsible for the design or construction or future operation of the Canada Line. Translink has only been responsible for funding construction and in the future will be responsible for fare collection.

InTransitBC, a consortium consisting of SNC-Lavalin and two other companies I cannot remember, has so far been responsible for the design, construction, and funding of the Canada Line. When construction is completed, InTransitBC will be disbanded and ProTransBC will operate the Canada Line for the next 35 years. Under the contract, ProTransBC will own the 20 trains and any additions in the future for legal reasons while Translink will own the Canada Line infrastructure.

All of the trains will eventually be painted at the ends, the ones that are not painted are fresh from delivery and are still being tested. The reasoning for not painting the trains entirely is because they will eventually fill those grey spots with advertisements.

KICX4262.jpg

Good news for everyone!

From a very reliable source:

- The SkyTrain Evergreen Line is a done deal and construction will commence very shortly (likely in mid-2010). The Expo Line 6-km extension in Surrey and the construction of the UBC extension of the Millennium Line will also happen simultaneously with the Evergreen Line and Surrey extension.

- The Surrey extension study will finish just before that but won't start work until after work has started on the UBC extension.

- The terminus at UBC will be along University Boulevard. They are not set on which technology to use, LRT is still on the table but it appears they are favoring SkyTrain due to integration.

- No path is set yet but the study area only covers 500m from Broadway Street in each direction (no surprises there). - What is interesting is that they expect the UBC line to take into affect the City of Vancouver's streetcar line which includes Phase 1-3 plus a streetcar along Arbutus and another loop that heads to the False Creek Flats.

"SkyTrain currently operates with a mix of 150 Mark I cars and 60 larger Mark II

cars. By the end of 2010, the Mark II fleet will number 108 cars, and possibly 132

cars. Additional fleet will be required to support the Evergreen Line in 2014 and to

accommodate future system expansion and ridership growth. To reach the

maximum capacity of the line, a 3-car Mark II unit will also need to be developed to

allow 5-car trains, the maximum that can be accommodated with existing platforms.

The Mark I cars will likely need to be retired 2020-2025."

(Cars)Capacity

4-Mark-I 144 (Seat only) 300 (Seat & Stand)

6-Mark-I 216 (Seat only) 450 (Seat & Stand)

2-Mark-II 84 (Seat only) 238 (Seat & Stand)

3-Mark-II 126 (Seat only) 357 (Seat & Stand)

4-Mark-II 168 (Seat only) 476 (Seat & Stand)

5-Mark-II 210 (Seat only) 595 (Seat & Stand)

6-Mark-II 252 (Seat only) 714 (Seat & Stand)

In principle, the SkyTrain system, with its 80 metre platforms, could accommodate a 5-car Mark II train,

made up of existing 2-car units (34.2 m.) coupled with yet-to-be-designed 3-car units (50.9 m.,

incorporating a 16.7 m. centre car). While the resulting 85.1 metre train would overhand the platforms,

the doors would fit within 78 metres, leaving a small, but potentially manageable margin of 1 metre at

each end. Assuming a comparable 130 passengers in the centre section of the 3-car triplet, a 5-car train

could carry 650 passengers under the currently applied loading standards

Peak capacity

Regardless of the length of the SkyTrain line, or the distribution of capacity between various segments, peak capacity in the

peak link will be governed by achieveable headway, and the length and type of train. The accompanying table shows the

headways required to achieve a range of capacities, with different fleet types, based on current loading standards.

Thus, 25,000 passengers per hour would be unachievable with an all-Mark I fleet (in any event, SkyTrain does not have

enough Mark I cars to achieve the higher range), but is within range of a 4-car Mark II fleet, albeit under exceptional

operating demands. (A mixed Mark I and Mark II fleet would be proportionately in between.)

The 5-car Mark II option (subject to technical practicability) should be able to reach 25,000 with some margin, and potentially achieve a rate of 30,000 per hour, perhaps for short duration. (This is calculated with 78sec headways note 72sec headways are possible)

More information to come.

Good news for everyone!

- The SkyTrain Evergreen Line is a done deal and construction will commence very shortly (likely in mid-2010). The Expo Line 6-km extension in Surrey and the construction of the UBC extension of the Millennium Line will also happen simultaneously with the Evergreen Line and Surrey extension.

- The Surrey extension study will finish just before that but won't start work until after work has started on the UBC extension.

- The terminus at UBC will be along University Boulevard. They are not set on which technology to use, LRT is still on the table but it appears they are favoring SkyTrain due to integration.

- No path is set yet but the study area only covers 500m from Broadway Street in each direction (no surprises there). - What is interesting is that they expect the UBC line to take into affect the City of Vancouver's streetcar line which includes Phase 1-3 plus a streetcar along Arbutus and another loop that heads to the False Creek Flats.

More information to come.

If the Evergreen Line gets built using SkyTrain technology, will Translink use the third platform at Lougheed Town Centre station? The platform remains unfinished to this day.

Good news for everyone!

Hopefully, they won't take 20 years to complete trying to build all three at once on a limited budget.

If the Evergreen Line gets built using SkyTrain technology, will Translink use the third platform at Lougheed Town Centre station? The platform remains unfinished to this day.

Yes, the third platform will be used. This is what the Lougheed Station Millennium Line and Evergreen Line interchange will look like:

4021-1.jpg

4021-2.jpg

4021-3.jpg

4021-4.jpg

4021-5.jpg

On a related note, I wish the 99 B-Line would put a stop at Arbutus.

And I wish the Granville express buses would make a stop at 16th Avenue to connect with the 33 bus.

I agree. An Arbutus stop for the 99 would be a much busier stop than a handful of other 99 stops. On the downside, it adds a few minutes to the trip.