The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

^ the Evergreen Line serves the Tri-Cities:

Tri-Cities:

- Coquitlam 121,973

Port Coquitlam 57,563

Port Moody 28,458

TOTAL: 209,000

The Tri-Cities are also expanding rapidly and are also promising immense densification around the Evergreen Line stations.

This is true. It's not really even a promise, it's already becoming a reality.

It will terminate at Bridgeport Station; Airport Station Bus Loop will no longer exist. I believe the new Bridgeport Station bus loop will be the largest bus loop in the region.

One of the largest - it's taking all the 300s, 600s, and the routes of some local Richmond buses.

What about UBC in terms of size? Is that actually bigger in terms of area?

In the 1980's when skytrain was extended to Surrey, policy makers decided building the 8 feet wide $380 million skytrain skybridge over a $700 million 10 lane road mega bridge which would also have had a guideway for skytrain and a new structure for rail traffic. Goes to show the ignorance and stupidity of policy makers.

In the 1980's when skytrain was extended to Surrey, policy makers decided building the 8 feet wide $380 million skytrain skybridge over a $700 million 10 lane road mega bridge which would also have had a guideway for skytrain and a new structure for rail traffic. Goes to show the ignorance and stupidity of policy makers.

If your not health care or education spending big dollars is a waste in the eyes of many in this province.

Breaking news......

B.C. unable to reach financial deal on Port Mann Bridge project

Rather than P3, provincial government to finance entire $3-billion project

By Lori Culbert, Vancouver Sun

February 27, 2009 5:10 PM

METRO VANCOUVER -- The province has been unable to reach a finance-arranging deal with the consortium that was to build the new Port Mann Bridge, transportation Minister Kevin Falcon announced Friday.

The provincial government will now finance the entire $3.3 billion project, and is hoping to recoup the money through tolls.

It is a black eye for the Liberal government, which had touted P3s (public-private partnerships) as the way to build infrastructure without the government assuming any financial risks.

Falcon said any cost overruns or construction delays while the 10-lane span is being built between now and 2013 will be the responsibility of the contractors.

However, he said the government does assume a new risk that didn’t exist before when this was a P3 project: If traffic volumes are lower than anticipated then fewer tolls will be collected, and that means it will be taxpayers -- not a private company -- who will have less money to pay off the debt.

The tolls are expected to be $3 for one trip over the bridge.

NDP transportation critic Bruce Ralston called this a massive failure for Falcon, personally, and the Liberals who had continued to argue that the Port Mann P3 deal would be successful.

Larry Blain, CEO of Partnerships BC, sent a letter to Falcon on Tuesday saying the consortium chosen to build the bridge, Connect BC, could not secure financing.

There have been several delays in trying to real a deal as the consortium struggled, during these difficult economic times, to gather enough banks into a syndicate to finance the project.

The consortium includes the Macquarie Group, an international toll-road operator and investor that has has encountered financial difficulty as a result of the global credit crisis. Media reports out of Australia Friday noted Macquarie’s shares continue to fall, and have plummeted 82 per cent since May 2007.

Blain said Macquarie’s personal troubles did not play a role in the financing deal collapsing. He said he has confidence in the other 24 P3 projects underway in B.C.

Connect BC also included contractors Peter Kiewit Sons Co. and Flatiron Constructors Canada, who will continue to build the bridge.

The new Port Mann Bridge will be built to accommodate rapid bus service, expanded cycling and pedestrian lanes and a possible light rail line. It is expected to ease congestion clogging the Fraser River crossing and commuter delays by about one-third, the province says.

Edited by nitronuts

Breaking news......

B.C. unable to reach financial deal on Port Mann Bridge project

Rather than P3, provincial government to finance entire $3-billion project

By Lori Culbert, Vancouver Sun

February 27, 2009 5:10 PM

METRO VANCOUVER -- The province has been unable to reach a finance-arranging deal with the consortium that was to build the new Port Mann Bridge, transportation Minister Kevin Falcon announced Friday.

The provincial government will now finance the entire $3.3 billion project, and is hoping to recoup the money through tolls.

It is a black eye for the Liberal government, which had touted P3s (public-private partnerships) as the way to build infrastructure without the government assuming any financial risks.

Falcon said any cost overruns or construction delays while the 10-lane span is being built between now and 2013 will be the responsibility of the contractors.

However, he said the government does assume a new risk that didn’t exist before when this was a P3 project: If traffic volumes are lower than anticipated then fewer tolls will be collected, and that means it will be taxpayers -- not a private company -- who will have less money to pay off the debt.

The tolls are expected to be $3 for one trip over the bridge.

NDP transportation critic Bruce Ralston called this a massive failure for Falcon, personally, and the Liberals who had continued to argue that the Port Mann P3 deal would be successful.

Larry Blain, CEO of Partnerships BC, sent a letter to Falcon on Tuesday saying the consortium chosen to build the bridge, Connect BC, could not secure financing.

There have been several delays in trying to real a deal as the consortium struggled, during these difficult economic times, to gather enough banks into a syndicate to finance the project.

The consortium includes the Macquarie Group, an international toll-road operator and investor that has has encountered financial difficulty as a result of the global credit crisis. Media reports out of Australia Friday noted Macquarie’s shares continue to fall, and have plummeted 82 per cent since May 2007.

Blain said Macquarie’s personal troubles did not play a role in the financing deal collapsing. He said he has confidence in the other 24 P3 projects underway in B.C.

Connect BC also included contractors Peter Kiewit Sons Co. and Flatiron Constructors Canada, who will continue to build the bridge.

The new Port Mann Bridge will be built to accommodate rapid bus service, expanded cycling and pedestrian lanes and a possible light rail line. It is expected to ease congestion clogging the Fraser River crossing and commuter delays by about one-third, the province says.

So I guess we'll be stuck with the Pattulo bridge for another 25 years. The Port Mann was built in the 60's and we keep the bridge built in the 30's.

So I guess we'll be stuck with the Pattulo bridge for another 25 years. The Port Mann was built in the 60's and we keep the bridge built in the 30's.

If you read the article, you'll know that the project is still a go ahead except that the provincial government will foot the entire $3-billion cost as the private sector has backed away.

Well, they are drastically upping the frequencies of some suburban routes.

Perhaps the 60fts can be used on the 410/401? :P

Bucky would be pretty damn pleased with that/

I floated that idea at one of the Canada Line open houses, and the guy said that we don't have enough resources for that. That'd be unfortunate, because I would like to see 60-foot articulated buses for 401 and 410 during peak hours.

Sorry, but the old seating arrangement was retarded and wasn't well thought out at all. Because of the narrow space in between the rows of seats, passengers weren't willing to move down into there and they clogged up the door entrance area. On top of that, it really limited the overall capacity of the train.

With the new seating arrangement and more overhead bars to hold onto, there's a much better balance between seats and standing space and with bars to hold onto. And overall, the train capacity is probably much higher simply from a simple seating arrangement adjustment.

I'd say, well done Translink!

Agreed. The new ones don't give people enough room to move between the seats. And it's also a problem for wheelchair access during peak hours, when it's not possible to squeeze through the nearest doors to the flip-up seats (which nobody seems to realize that they exist, and are actually pretty hard to find sometimes because they look like normal seats). It's like the same problem they have with the Orion V buses (the ones used mainly for routes like 351 and 601) -- too many seats = not enough room to stand/move around = reduced actual capacity.

The problem comes back to the fact that the cities you have listed make it very hard to serve with rapid transit, considering how they promote sprawl rather than density.

As well, no single line would serve all of those cities.

It's called park and ride. The Scott Road skytrain station has more ridership then 85% of Millenium line stations and it is not close to any dense population.

Therefore Park and Ride stations should work on a LRT line from Langley to Scott Road. There is room to construct park and ride lots in Cloverdale, Langley, North Delta and Newton.

It's called park and ride. The Scott Road skytrain station has more ridership then 85% of Millenium line stations and it is not close to any dense population.

Therefore Park and Ride stations should work on a LRT line from Langley to Scott Road. There is room to construct park and ride lots in Cloverdale, Langley, North Delta and Newton.

There's a park and ride at Sportplex in Walnut Grove.

There's AMPLE parking at williowbrook mall, where the Route 502 goes by every 15 minutes to King George Skytrain Station.

Ladner/Delta has Ladner Exchange, and South Delta recreation centre.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Commuting_Options/park_ride/

The funny thing is you keep on asking for a LRT system into Langley. When it is already proposed and in the works, albeit a long time away. But different projects are the forfront because they will affect more populatin (i.e. Evergreen, and UBC line).

Transit is horrible, i use to take it when i didn't have my license to get around places... but now that i drive and have a car it's so much better speeding around then having some homeless guys staring at you.

I've already mentioned before that park and ride should be a significant design feature for any rapid transit expansion in the eastern part of the region.

But again, transit will expand to areas that are easiest to expand transit with and eastern municipalities are anything but.

Anyhow, plans for Central City II:

ruthen_bingthom_surreycentral.JPG

I don`t know if it a good thing or a bad thing that the government has full control over the Port Mann project now.

It's good no matter what your political views. If your a lefty, now the people will be reaping in the tolls. If your a righty, good news, construction is going ahead despite the banking turmoil. Only downside for the right is the P3 deals are hard to make right now, but that's part of doing business with the private sector, sometimes you can't get a good deal, and if you can't, then just use the pay for it on your own idea as a back up plan.

Transit is horrible, i use to take it when i didn't have my license to get around places... but now that i drive and have a car it's so much better speeding around then having some homeless guys staring at you.

Haha, this post couldn't be more ignorant of facts and real life.

We need more transit!

But I don't understand why the new skytrain stops need such big entrances? Why not have staircases that integrate into the block like NYC, Paris, Seoul, and most other major metros. Why the need for these big glass structures?

It's good no matter what your political views. If your a lefty, now the people will be reaping in the tolls. If your a righty, good news, construction is going ahead despite the banking turmoil. Only downside for the right is the P3 deals are hard to make right now, but that's part of doing business with the private sector, sometimes you can't get a good deal, and if you can't, then just use the pay for it on your own idea as a back up plan.

The only reason why a private company gets involved in these projects is that they stand to profit off our backs for years and years. At least the money goes to back to the government and not to the hands of some private company.

But I don't understand why the new skytrain stops need such big entrances? Why not have staircases that integrate into the block like NYC, Paris, Seoul, and most other major metros. Why the need for these big glass structures?

Huge Umbrella structures should have been utilized instead to protect the escalators from the rain.

citigroup_umbrella-thumb.jpg

Huge Umbrella structures should have been utilized instead to protect the escalators from the rain.

citigroup_umbrella-thumb.jpg

Haha yeah I guess I forgot us fat north americans need escalators everywhere and we wouldn't want the poor people getting wet.