The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

main_no_toll_booths.jpg

Electronic tolling stations, where cars quickly pass by under sensors and cameras.

TransLink proposes tolls on all Metro bridges, new vehicle levy

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

July 31, 2009

METRO VANCOUVER — TransLink is proposing to put tolls on all Metro Vancouver bridges and charge drivers for using the roads as part of a scheme to raise $450 million in new revenue.

Along with these so-called "road-pricing options," TransLink is considering a vehicle levy averaging $122 per vehicle per year.

It's the latest round in a long battle between the regional transportation authority and the provincial government over where TransLink will find much-needed revenue increases.

Without new revenue, TransLink is projected to go into deficit by 2011, as it subsidizes the private operators of the Canada Line and the Golden Ears Bridge for four to five years until they reach projected ridership figures.

TransLink says it needs an extra $150 million a year just to keep its current operations going.

With $300 million a year, it says it could modestly expand the public transportation system, including building the long-promised Evergreen rapid transit line from Burnaby to Coquitlam.

With $450 million more a year, it could finance all the major items on its wish list, including rapid transit lines, rail corridors and a greatly expanded bus system. With no additional money, TransLink says it will have to make huge transit service cuts as its expenses rise.

PROPOSAL NEEDS APPROVAL FROM PROVINCE, MUNICIPALITIES

TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast said he was waiting to hear whether the province will provide legislative authority for the road-pricing options, which could see long-haul drivers and gas guzzlers paying more for using the road than drivers on short trips in fuel-efficient cars.

The proposed charges, which would increase the cost of driving in Metro Vancouver, were unanimously supported by the TransLink board but still need approval from the province and the regional mayors' council.

"At the end of the day we have to come up with the funding somewhere," Prendergast said. "It's more than about transit. It's about changing some behaviours. You drive down Hastings, Lougheed, Kingsway ... they're all crowded. The days of the free ride for automobiles worldwide is coming to an end."

The plan must be approved by the province and regional transportation commissioner in August before going to the regional mayors' council in October.

Several earlier attempts to impose a vehicle levy — politically a hot potato — have been dropped.

TransLink and Metro Vancouver have flirted with the notion of tolls, only to be flatly rejected by the provincial government.

Now TransLink is bringing back some of the most controversial options. "It's an issue of livability in the region at large," Prendergast said.

RECOMMENDATION 'UNSUPPORTABLE'

But at least two Metro Vancouver mayors say the recommendations — particularly the vehicle levy — will hurt those who have little means of viable transport: residents south of the Fraser.

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts said road pricing could work as long as it's done with a policy in place and plans to build up the transit system. Right now, there aren't enough buses to support Surrey residents, she said, let alone another million people moving into the region by 2040.

"The vehicle levy, is for me, unsupportable," she said. "There's no way I can go out to our residents and say, 'You're not going to get anything, but pay an additional property tax and a vehicle levy. You might get a bus or two.'"

Prendergast acknowledges transit service is lacking south of the Fraser. TransLink is working with municipalities to add new routes and increase population density along transportation corridors, but needs money to do so.

TransLink has the ability to collect $275 million extra a year by way of property tax increases, the vehicle levy, boosting gas taxes by three cents a litre, imposing a higher parking tax, and raising fares by seven per cent in 2016.

The road-pricing options would bring the total revenue increase to $450 million, enough to fund the Evergreen Line, upgrade existing SkyTrain stations, buy more buses, build new rail corridors, provide optimum maintenance for regional roads.

But Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan said that is just another way for the province to dump costs on municipalities.

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

^^^

How about they wait and see how much money the Canada line brings in?

Douches....

Will the Canada Line be able to bring in $450-million to cover the entire $450-million annual shortfall? :lol:

"At the end of the day we have to come up with the funding somewhere," Prendergast said. "It's more than about transit. It's about changing some behaviours. You drive down Hastings, Lougheed, Kingsway ... they're all crowded. The days of the free ride for automobiles worldwide is coming to an end."

angry-hitler.jpg

It's never been a free ride for vehices...

High cost of vehicle, high cost of gas, taxes on both of those, insane insurance and maintenance costs, tolls, and we all pay for road infrastructure through taxes. Hardly free.

It's never been a free ride for vehices...

High cost of vehicle, high cost of gas, taxes on both of those, insane insurance and maintenance costs, tolls, and we all pay for road infrastructure through taxes. Hardly free.

It's been free in that the cost you pay to drive your car comes in no way close to the actual cost to everyone of driving that car.

It's been a free ride in that you don't take into consideration:

air pollution

noise pollution

water pollution

inefficient land use

parking costs

accidents

road maintenance

waste disposal

time wasted in traffic

health impacts

social costs

all the costs associated with acquiring, processing, refining, transporting and delivering gas/oil

etc etc etc

Edited by inane

And once again, inane unleashes his load onto CDC.

-----

If Translink is tolling every bridge and tunnel in Vancouver for the purposes of getting dollars, fine by me. They'll be getting that goal. If they're trying to get people out of cars and onto transit systems (which are nonexistent, by the way), they got some more thinking to do.

And once again, inane unleashes his load onto CDC.

-----

If Translink is tolling every bridge and tunnel in Vancouver for the purposes of getting dollars, fine by me. They'll be getting that goal. If they're trying to get people out of cars and onto transit systems (which are nonexistent, by the way), they got some more thinking to do.

I think their goal is to get more money AND get people onto transit. The transit they will build with that money they collect. Pretty straight forward stuff...

my load? :rolleyes:

I think their goal is to get more money AND get people onto transit. The transit they will build with that money they collect. Pretty straight forward stuff...

my load? :rolleyes:

Yes, your anti-car load.

Really, get people onto transit services? I wouldn't know, considering they're asking every commuter living south of the Fraser to drop their pants and bend over on the table...

...and then get screwed (over)....

I do hope that Translink, the Council of Mayors, and the Ministry will hold their head up high and refuse to cave in to the public backlash like how the NDP reacted with the Translink car levy in 2000. There are simply far too many single-occupancy vehicles out there when many could be using transit. And inane is certainly on the ball with the impacts of vehicles.

If Translink doesn't get this money it needs, among things that will happen:

- slashing of 40% of the region's bus service, essentially back to 1970 levels

- selling the seven West Coast Express cars currently on order

- maintaining roads at 25 per cent of committed levels

The only compromise I'd have with these levys and tolls is if we see drastically improved transit service right away, especially south of the Fraser. Flood it with new bus routes and much higher frequency bus schedules; more buses! You can't punish people for their transportation lifestyle if you don't give them a competent alternative.

Surrey's Mayor Watts said it best: “We have another million people moving into the Lower Mainland in the next couple of decades...we can’t go backwards.”

Do note that much of Translink's problems also come from its rather large mandate. Unlike many agencies like it around the world, it's responsible for not just public transit BUT ALSO BUILDING AND MAINTAINING ROADS.

Edited by nitronuts

Yes, your anti-car load.

Really, get people onto transit services? I wouldn't know, considering they're asking every commuter living south of the Fraser to drop their pants and bend over on the table...

...and then get screwed (over)....

i'm not anti-car. i appreciate that there needs to be cars on the road.

i'm anti this notion that driving is a right.

i'm anti people who CHOOSE to drive when they have alternatives (especially those that choose to drive and then complain about congestion...)

but I do appreciate that currently, transit is not up to snuff, so people drive. this is why collecting more money from those who do drive and investing in transit is a good idea.

It's been free in that the cost you pay to drive your car comes in no way close to the actual cost to everyone of driving that car.

It's been a free ride in that you don't take into consideration:

air pollution

noise pollution

water pollution

inefficient land use

parking costs

accidents

road maintenance

waste disposal

time wasted in traffic

health impacts

social costs

all the costs associated with acquiring, processing, refining, transporting and delivering gas/oil

etc etc etc

Source? Keep in mind the province is already in the process of subsidising other taxes by introducing another 9 cents a litre on gas taxes, never mind the ginourmous royalties from our oil and gas industry, or the existing gas taxes. Show me a balance sheet of total taxes collected, and assign costs to those various sundry items, and you will have a point. But unless you prove it, no one is going to give a damn.