The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

How much did they pay for their system?

No idea, but well over a billion.

Note that this was Torino's first metro line...and it was quite useless during the Games as it wasn't near any Olympic venues/sites. It's something like 10-kms, and they're planning on extending it in a few years. The platforms are 60-metres long; they run 4-car trains that are 2.08 metres wide and altogether 52-metres long.

nitronuts,

why do translink increases the frequencies for all the buses in Richmond except 407?

No need to increase frequency for 407, as opposed to the 401 (which had the 491 and 488), the 410 (which had the 496), the 402 (which had the 492), the 404 and 405 (which was greatly underserved with 30-minute intervals).

Gross.

I'm glad I've never seen that.

I didn’t get to see it, but I was on the train and heard/felt just about everything. (June 11th, I was coming back from the Canucks Sale at GM Place and it happened at Metrotown Station)

I have a pretty descriptive memory of just about everything that has occurred in my life.

IMG_0353.jpg

This is horrible. I hate to see what its like during the Olympics.

The Canada Line project is a massive failure.

Where are the train pushers?

Seriously, do we get any public service that isn't massively overcrowded and falls horribly short of demand?

Talk about good planning (or lack thereof). This is how many weeks after commencement of service? And the games haven't even started yet.

We'll be a laughing stock.

The olympics will be a gong show all over town.

I'm not concerned about Canada line.

Look at broadway/commercial drive half of the day. It's packed, you have to wait for trains. It's a train transit system, which people are using. If anything this will get translink to put more trains on the track, widen stations and build more lines.

Woah...nifty! I assume that's to stop people from jumping on the tracks?

Yup, those are platform doors. And with platform doors on underground stations, the tunnels have to be sealed off from the station platforms as there are air pressure issues that could potentially shatter the glass platform doors when the train arrives. I believe it also requires a slightly modified ventilation system for existing lines. And another advantage is that it keeps dirt out as trains usually push that in with their gust of wind when they arrive on the platform....something like Torino's bland white design would be quite necessary in order to maintain that colour.

Look at broadway/commercial drive half of the day. It's packed, you have to wait for trains. It's a train transit system, which people are using. If anything this will get translink to put more trains on the track, widen stations and build more lines.

You actually should be very concerned with the Canada Line during the Olympics....it connects Olympic venues and sites all along its route. They are currently using 16 of the 20 trains we have on the Canada Line, the most they can use is 19 and leave 1 as spare....as they did on opening day (the original plan was to use 14 trains, but 1 hour in they realized they needed to utilize the entire fleet).

The Expo Line is only really vital for the Games from Waterfront to around Broadway in terms of Olympic sites and connecting with Olympic transportation corridors. Keep in mind that SkyTrain's capacity will be boosted by 33% with the 48-new Mark II SkyTrain cars going in service in time for the Games. The 2-car Mark II trains will be non-existent, as they will be paired up to create 4-car Mark II trains now that there's enough cars. They might also join the Mark I cars to create 6-car trains. This train arrangement goes beyond the Olympics.

Translink, if it has money, would also like to buy another 52 Mark II cars by around 2013 and that's in addition to what cars it'll be buying for the Evergreen Line.

Edited by nitronuts

The Canada line is just a case in point.

we have all around crappy, 1970s-esque infrastructure.

Funny that you mentioned the crowded trains at Broadway/Commercial. Back when they first implemented the Upass program several years ago (can't remember the exact year) it became a huge problem. I remember during afternoon rush hours at Broadway station I couldn't get on to 3 or 4 consecutive trains because they were already full even before reaching the platform. From the sounds of things it looks like nothing has been fixed.

Man, tearing up Broadway would shut down the city.

Although they could dig up 10th or 12th.

They would never tear up Broadway. It'd likely be a bored tunnel, and the only surface disruption would be at the stations.

All in all, for businesses commuters on Broadway, the positives of a rapid transit line will far outweigh the negatives of a few years of station construction.

Yea, they need all the support they can get. I'm definitely going to invite all of my friends to that group.

It's a bit sad that this group can't even garner 2000 supporters, while mindless groups about today's most popular celebrities or groups created to complain about the most trivial things can gather millions. I invited my UBC friends a long time ago, I think they basically all joined.

They would never tear up Broadway. It'd likely be a bored tunnel, and the only surface disruption would be at the stations.

All in all, for businesses commuters on Broadway, the positives of a rapid transit line will far outweigh the negatives of a few years of station construction.

^ actually, an underground SkyTrain extension would likely happen under 10th Avenue which is one block south of Broadway. But the station entrances would still be located on Broadway. It would likely be bored with about a dozen pits dug just for stations.

But if it were LRT, it would be built on Broadway and there would certainly be major disruptions along the entire street to UBC. I think it's quite laughable that LRT supporters think construction will only last for 2-months and that there will be no disruption to both businesses and traffic....and that it'll somehow cost only $10-million/km. o_O

Could you imagine Broadway becoming a 2-4 lane road? (including two lanes for parking)

atram6.jpg

Edited by nitronuts