The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

what i laugh at is here in Coquitlam, Translink spent money on building a info house on the Evergreen line and now it may not get built

It will built....Translink's threats are simply to tell mayors of the consequences if they don't vote for their plan. Most mayors are supportive of the tax hikes.

I believe the information house was built by the Ministry, they have taken over the project from Translink.

It will built....Translink's threats are simply to tell mayors of the consequences if they don't vote for their plan. Most mayors are supportive of the tax hikes.

I believe the information house was built by the Ministry, they have taken over the project from Translink.

I thought they only cared about the Canada Line enough to heavy handedly push it through like that.

I thought they only cared about the Canada Line enough to heavy handedly push it through like that.

The Ministry thankfully stepped in as it thought Translink was making a huge mistake with LRT rather than using SkyTrain.....though there's a possibility right now that it could be "SkyTrain-like" like the Canada Line instead of an extension of our SkyTrain infrastructure, which goes against the Ministry's whole argument two years ago of switching from LRT to SkyTrain (the one-seat ride from Vancouver to Coquitlam one of the main points).

It would be interesting to see the Evergreen Line with much longer platforms (80-metres) than the Canada Line's, even though the Canada Line is a lot busier.

Edited by nitronuts

The Ministry thankfully stepped in as it thought Translink was making a huge mistake with LRT rather than using SkyTrain.....though there's a possibility right now that it could be "SkyTrain-like" like the Canada Line instead of an extension of our SkyTrain infrastructure, which goes against the Ministry's whole argument two years ago of switching from LRT to SkyTrain (the one-seat ride from Vancouver to Coquitlam one of the main points).

It would be interesting to see the Evergreen Line with much longer platforms (80-metres) than the Canada Line's, even though the Canada Line is a lot busier.

Can they even do that? I thought they were extending it from Lougheed and they already have the extra track in place there don't they?

^ if it's "SkyTrain-like" like the Canada Line instead of an actual Millennium Line SkyTrain extension, it would be an entirely different technology that is incompatible with SkyTrain. You would have to transfer at Lougheed to get to Vancouver.

The risk of this happening is there, but I don't think it's likely....i think they will go with SkyTrain.

One of my biggest pet peeves when taking public transportation is when old people pretend to get scared when I walk in.

1. I am wearing a LIGHT grey rain jacket,

2. I have a professional/traditional hair cut

3. I don't look very threatening...I look clean...I dress well...I don't even drink alcohol.

I'm pretty sure they're jealous because I look like I have a good paying job...and if that's the case...that's pretty sad.

To the people of British Columbia,

You have pissed off ONE good Samaritan!

^ if it's "SkyTrain-like" like the Canada Line instead of an actual Millennium Line SkyTrain extension, it would be an entirely different technology that is incompatible with SkyTrain. You would have to transfer at Lougheed to get to Vancouver.

The risk of this happening is there, but I don't think it's likely....i think they will go with SkyTrain.

Why didn't they build the Evergreen line as part of the Millenium line to begin with? That was the whole purpose of the Millenium line to begin with, hence the extra track at Lougheed. It was supposed to happen even before the RAV line if I recall correctly....

One of my biggest pet peeves when taking public transportation is when old people pretend to get scared when I walk in.

3. I don't look very threatening...I look clean...I dress well...I don't even drink alcohol.

I'm pretty sure they're jealous because I look like I have a good paying job...and if that's the case...that's pretty sad.

lol what?

they know you're a leafs fan

Why didn't they build the Evergreen line as part of the Millenium line to begin with? That was the whole purpose of the Millenium line to begin with, hence the extra track at Lougheed. It was supposed to happen even before the RAV line if I recall correctly....

There wasn't enough money, and the NDP began to run into deficits. The Millennium Line cost $1.1-billion and the province payed for the entire project (likely $1.8-billion if it were built today). Regardless, they should have built it anyway considering how much cheaper both projects were back then plus the assured quality unlike the Canada Line.

Envious over Vancouver’s light rail system

In Transit by Steve Collins

METRO OTTAWA

August 24, 2009 5:40 a.m.

Hey, Vancouver, you’re looking good. And it’s killing me.

The Canada Line, a new $2-billion rail link between downtown Vancouver, Richmond and the airport, went into service last Monday, and as locals lined up for their introductory free rides, I came down with a virulent case of transit envy.

No other city in Canada has a light rail connection to the airport. Vancouverites can now zip down there in 25 minutes for $3.75.

My gnawing jealousy of Vancouver is somewhat mollified by our access to good, affordable bus service to the airport, an amenity many cities don’t enjoy, but it just doesn’t have the same Jetsons-style sex appeal as light rail.

More shockingly, the Canada Line was built in just four years — and completed three months ahead of schedule! The desire to spiff up for the 2010 Olympics certainly helped move things along.

Meanwhile, our own light rail plan is being, uh, planned.

After the cancellation of our original $1-billion LRT project, we’re now looking at a new $4-billion model, but the federal and provincial governments tend to avoid eye contact when asked about funding. Even if the money is forthcoming, by current estimations, the first passenger won’t be boarding until 2016. The whole LRT system isn’t expected to be complete until the sci-fi year of 2031.

And I wouldn’t mark my calendar quite yet. These dates presume a level of co-operation and purpose unfamiliar to regular watchers of our municipal government.

The Canada Line wasn’t without its troubles. Businesses along the route struggled mightily to stay afloat during the construction, and a maternity shop owner successfully sued the city for $600,000 in damages for lost business. Of course, we got slapped with a $200-million breach of contract suit from Siemens for doing nothing when we cancelled the old LRT plan, and still no trains. Advantage: Vancouver.

Advantage friggin’ Vancouver.

It would be interesting to see how busy those platforms could possibly get especially in the morning and afternoon rush hour. I wonder how many people(those who take it say 2-3 days a week) would take the Evergreen Line instead of the WCE if it was one seat ride to Vancouver

It would be interesting to see how busy those platforms could possibly get especially in the morning and afternoon rush hour. I wonder how many people(those who take it say 2-3 days a week) would take the Evergreen Line instead of the WCE if it was one seat ride to Vancouver

Note, it's a one-seat ride to Vancouver....but not to Downtown. They'd have to transfer to the Expo Line at Commercial, or the Canada Line at Cambie when the Millennium Line is extended along Broadway.

I think they said they were expecting the WCE's ridership to dip to 7,000 from today's 10,000 with the Evergreen Line.

There are only 6 stations for Evergreen along its new 11-km route, including the existing Lougheed platform, although its real starting point would be the western terminus of the Millennium Line which is currently at VCC Station. I'd say it would generate 40,000 riders.

Edited by nitronuts

From someone within: it appears that the Canada Line's train door problems are no small problem, rather it's a major problem and something of great concern. At the OMC, they are testing all the train doors over and over and over again. And there are still several trains with door problems.

It's enough of a concern they even have a few technicians from ROTEM from South Korea to fly over here to help resolve the problems....certainly, this is part of the warranty.

Nearly all of the Canada Line's delays and bugs lately have been because of problems with train doors, and they are a safety issue. Hong Kong's MTR Tung Chung Line, which uses trains by ROTEM, pulled trains out of service because of delays and door safety issues. "Hong Kong's MTR ROTEM K-Stock trains have come under criticism when it was first put into service due to delays and door safety issues. There have been incidents where passengers have been injured by its doors and other service reliability issues have led to MTRCL "minimising the number of Korean trains for passenger service until a higher reliability of the systems concerned is achieved"."

^ a few times daily, and it causes a backlog of trains whenever it happens (thus why the electronic displays will say another train will arrive a minute after and another a minute after that....and why trains wait outside stations for the train ahead to clear the platform)

Edited by nitronuts

From someone within: it appears that the Canada Line's train door problems are no small problem, rather it's a major problem and something of great concern. At the OMC, they are testing all the train doors over and over and over again. And there are still several trains with door problems.

It's enough of a concern they even have a few technicians from ROTEM from South Korea to fly over here to help resolve the problems....certainly, this is part of the warranty.

Nearly all of the Canada Line's delays and bugs lately have been because of problems with train doors, and they are a safety issue. Hong Kong's MTR Tung Chung Line, which uses trains by ROTEM, pulled trains out of service because of delays and door safety issues. "Hong Kong's MTR ROTEM K-Stock trains have come under criticism when it was first put into service due to delays and door safety issues. There have been incidents where passengers have been injured by its doors and other service reliability issues have led to MTRCL "minimising the number of Korean trains for passenger service until a higher reliability of the systems concerned is achieved"."

If they crush passengers that delay the system by holding open the doors when it's about to leave, that can only be a good thing, right?

Note, it's a one-seat ride to Vancouver....but not to Downtown. They'd have to transfer to the Expo Line at Commercial, or the Canada Line at Cambie when the Millennium Line is extended along Broadway.

They'd have to change trains from WCE if they want to go to Granville or Burrard Station anyways.