The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Pretty hard to believe they have financial problems when they get so much bussiness it takes years to make an order of trains lol.

Well it sounds easy, but it's not.

First they gotta talk with the buyer about the specifications....what exactly they want. Then they've got to design it, and then show it to the buyer (of course, they have train models but each train does vary). If it works for the buyer, they negotiate a price and buy it. And it goes to the queue of trains being built. They need to get the metal made, then ship it over to the plant. Get all the parts together. And then start building in the assembly line. Once the train is done, the supplier tests the train in their factory....makes it do loops around their train yard. When they are satisfied with the results, they begin shipping the trains...by land, by freight car, by ship. When it arrives at the buyer's train yard, the buyer does a little more work to the trains plus extensive testing.

Add all of that up and you have 3 years (4-years max). It's not just Bombardier, basically every train manufacturing company that takes that long.....including Hyundai Rotem, where we bought our trains....built in South Korea. In fact, Rotem had to come up with an entirely new design based on one of their existing train models (they are a very experienced company btw, building trains for systems in Brazil, Hong Kong, South Korea, Europe). This was the first time they ever made a two-car light rail vehicle that was automated.

Edited by nitronuts

well today when i went there wasnt anyone who was checking fares

in fact there were no transit cops in any of the stations except when i passed by langara i think

most ppl were very truthful and bought tickets

in fact there was even a lineup for the machines at city hall cause all of them were broken except one

I really don't understand why the new ticket machines break so easily.

well today when i went there wasnt anyone who was checking fares

in fact there were no transit cops in any of the stations except when i passed by langara i think

most ppl were very truthful and bought tickets

in fact there was even a lineup for the machines at city hall cause all of them were broken except one

They were probably overwhelmed by the crowds and gave up trying to check everyone.

I went there thinking that the novelty and crowds would have passed by now.

Here's a project most of you have probably never heard of:

COAST MERIDIAN OVERPASS

- a 4-lane cable bridge, 600-metres long

- serves as an overpass over the CN Rail yard to Coast Meridian Road in Port Coquitlam

- cost: $135.4-million (Translink share: $60-million)

- construction start: summer 2008; construction end: January 2010

- contractor: SNC-Lavalin

Construction method:

The bridge superstructure will consist of six spans of up to 125 metres in length – five over the CP Rail yard and one over Lougheed Highway.

The spans will be push-launched into place one at a time, starting from the south embankment:

- The supporting structure for the spans will be fabricated off-site and assembled on-site.

- Hydraulic jacks will be used to push the span structures over the south embankment on rollers.

- Cable-stays attached to towers will help stabilize the launching process.

I believe the new Pitt River Bridge (part of the Gateway project) is in the distance on the right

CMO_drawing_April_20097183.jpg

the bridge is being pushed to the north from this end:

Photo-Aerial-view-from-south-_west_-facing-north7481.jpg

Photo-Panoramic-view-from-south-approach-heading-north7489.jpg

Photo-Panoramic-view-including-north-approach-structure7490.jpg

Edited by nitronuts

COAST MERIDIAN OVERPASS

- serves as an overpass over the CN Rail yard to Coast Meridian Road in Port Coquitlam

Construction method:

The bridge superstructure will consist of six spans of up to 125 metres in length – five over the CP Rail yard and one over Lougheed Highway.

The spans will be push-launched into place one at a time, starting from the south embankment:

- The supporting structure for the spans will be fabricated off-site and assembled on-site.

- Hydraulic jacks will be used to push the span structures over the south embankment on rollers.

I believe the new Pitt River Bridge (part of the Gateway project) is in the distance on the right

Hey for the double length bus in the first picture what routes have those buses in Vancouver, I haven't seen one. Also how long have they been in service lol.

Hey for the double length bus in the first picture what routes have those buses in Vancouver, I haven't seen one. Also how long have they been in service lol.

Those are Novas, as far as I can tell... I don't think TransLink's Nova articulateds are even in yet.

It'd make more sense if it was a New Flyer articulated.

The coast meridian bridge is long overdue. Trying to get from North Poco to South Poco, or vice versa, can take up to 45 minutes in rush hour. That is obscene, it is a 5 minute drive or 10 minute walk.

The coast meridian bridge is long overdue. Trying to get from North Poco to South Poco, or vice versa, can take up to 45 minutes in rush hour. That is obscene, it is a 5 minute drive or 10 minute walk.

I don't know if that's true, I'm not familiar with Coquitlam, but if it is, it is ludicrous to spend 135 million on a bridge when the alternative is a 10 minute walk.

Is it really possible to check every single person for a fare? That would slow things down a lot if they did that. They need to find a better way to check than having a person checking everyone.

Pretty much every other rail line in the world is able to do it without such a big issue I don't see why it would be for Vancouver.

COAST MERIDIAN OVERPASS

Construction method:

knew about it... because I live 5 minutes away from it... and generally drive under it 2-3 times a week.

SO HA.. although I have nothing constructive to add about it... as I have no idea WHY it's being added

Edited by Squeak

knew about it... because I live 5 minutes away from it... and generally drive under it 2-3 times a week.

SO HA.. although I have nothing constructive to add about it... as I have no idea WHY it's being added

Maybe it's not a good idea to announce all things related to transportation in one big megathread.

Is it really possible to check every single person for a fare? That would slow things down a lot if they did that. They need to find a better way to check than having a person checking everyone.

i was thinking they could use machines to check tickets like in hk

mtr.png

Why do you guys keep using HK as the example as though it's the only one to think of this brilliant idea of fare gates....? It's common place world-wide.

it's because i ride on the hk mtr a lot

haven't ridden on anything other than that

Why do you guys keep using HK as the example as though it's the only one to think of this brilliant idea of fare gates....? It's common place world-wide.

Hong Kong's fare gate/smart card system is one of the best in the world, and it can be used for so much more than just paying your transit fare.

COAST MERIDIAN OVERPASS

Construction method:

Hey where are the tolls? and if these pictures are recent doesn't look like its going to be done on time.