The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Wooo hooo! Do it Surrey!

Operation South Fraser Screen line here we come! Toll anyone entering the north fraser transit district!

Then not only will the south of fraser pay for our transit, we won't have to pay anything back to them!

3 bucks a day from every trip accoss the putello, massey tunnel, and Alex Fraser? Yes thank you! (And hey, they can collect 3 bucks too for the return trip, no need to be douches :lol: )

Might have to get into a fight with the province over jurisidiction but if they are going to download autonomy do it for real!!!!!

How little do they know that north of fraser would love nothing more than to wall them all out!

He man good idea. The south could also set up a toll system for people wanted to go stateside, for goods travelling to an from stateside as well.

I holeheartedly agree!!!

And I am not joking about the GVRD thing either. Obviously the planning model is different on either side of the river. Why fight when we can do our own thing (see how good that works no matter what side of the river you are on)?

Just convince the province to let us have a screen line and we will negotiate having seemless fares on the smartcard and reciprical agreement on the bridge fares.

Why not? Surrey's big enough to anchor a separate regional district of its own. I think the population of Metro Vancouver has outgrown the current framework.

Seattle, Tacoma and Everett are all in separate counties. Toronto, Missisauga, Oakville, North York and Hamilton are all in separate districts. Why not have separate regional districts for Vancouver and Surrey?

Why not? Surrey's big enough to anchor a separate regional district of its own. I think the population of Metro Vancouver has outgrown the current framework.

Seattle, Tacoma and Everett are all in separate counties. Toronto, Missisauga, Oakville, North York and Hamilton are all in separate districts. Why not have separate regional districts for Vancouver and Surrey?

It makes total sense for both sides.

Toll the screen line to discourage extra regional travel and commuting and it ultimately will work itself out as a twin city model as opposed to the single core model.

No need to be cranky either. I would say to the south that we should set the tolls to be matched to the Port Mann (that's the provinces playground) and we split the money.

Heck, I could see future upgrades to crossing being paid for as joint venures of the north/south fraser transit authorities.

Each side gets to set it's own tax rates for gas taxes, parking taxes, property taxes, etc., and run things the way they want.

Have to make a deal for skytrain but basically the north owns and operates it should be the model. I would even make it work nice by charging everything in Surrey as zone 2 pricing (as in reduce the price for the Surrey people to encourage those that do enter to do it by transit and to not double bill people that are using south fraser transit to get there). If they ever want to expand it then we would have to revisit that but I suspect they have completely different ideas on how they want their mass transit to go.

Ditto GVRD. Don't worry, we won't gouge you for the water... ;) .

That's how it is now. That's the problem. All those buses in Vancouver rely on Surrey's money.

Translink is broken, this is an option.

The article said that the money they considered didn't count fares.

There are so many bus lines in Vancouver that are jam packed with paying people despite running 15 times an hour during rush hour and 6 times an hour off-peak. A lot of them even run on cheap electricity. Some Vancouver bus lines even make money just on fares.

There was an article a while back about a bus in south surrey that sometimes did an entire loop of its route without picking up a single passenger, and most of the time only picked up 2 or 3.

Surrey can do some great things with planning and should probably have more say in how transit develops there, but I used to live in North Surrey and there was no way in hell I'd consider taking a bus to Cloverdale. The 323 from Surrey Central ran every 30 minutes, and that was from Surrey Central to Newton, two fairly densely populated areas (for Surrey at least). Riding along 128th st, through all the warehouses that are turned into strip malls, past row upon row of houses with huge yards, you'd wonder how anyone ever walked less than 15 minutes to a bus stop.

Here in Kerrisdale I'm 1.5 blocks from the 41/43 which can have me at the Canada line in like 8 minutes, or up to UBC in 20. The 480 can bring me to Richmond if I need to go. I'm also 1 block from the 16 (now running every 12 minutes) which can bring me to Broadway for the 99/9/17, or all the way downtown. I don't even bother checking the schedule for the 41 and I never wait more than 5 minutes during the day for it. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to all of my shopping, and even if I lived in a less accessible neighbourhood, I still would have the ability to walk no more than 4 CITY blocks to a bus line that could bring me wherever I needed to go.

Contrast that to when i visit my parents where I grew up in Surrey. I can't walk to any grocery stores really. Yeah there are a few, but they're more like convenience stores that sell some vegetables. I can't even take a bus to the nearest grocery store (Save-On), and have to ride the bus 15 minutes in the opposite direction to get to the Safeway. That is, when the bus eventually comes (remember, 30 minutes between buses). The Save-On is fundamentally unwalkable. The parking lot itself takes several minutes to traverse as it is in a strip mall. Walking from the front door of the Save-On to the business kitty-corner to it would be about a 10 minute trip.

Everything is much more spaced out in Surrey too. It is 800m to go 8 blocks in Vancouver (41st to 49th). There is a bus line on 41st and one on 49th. You are no farther than 400m from a bus route. In Surrey, going from 92nd ave to 96th ave is also 800m but it's 4 blocks as opposed to 8 (yes yes, 93a avenue etc etc). The next major road from 96th is 88th which is 1.6km away. 1 mile between major streets means low density and low ridership. Low ridership means 30 minutes between buses. 30 minutes between buses means low ridership...

The article said that the money they considered didn't count fares.

There are so many bus lines in Vancouver that are jam packed with paying people despite running 15 times an hour during rush hour and 6 times an hour off-peak. A lot of them even run on cheap electricity. Some Vancouver bus lines even make money just on fares.

There was an article a while back about a bus in south surrey that sometimes did an entire loop of its route without picking up a single passenger, and most of the time only picked up 2 or 3.

Surrey can do some great things with planning and should probably have more say in how transit develops there, but I used to live in North Surrey and there was no way in hell I'd consider taking a bus to Cloverdale. The 323 from Surrey Central ran every 30 minutes, and that was from Surrey Central to Newton, two fairly densely populated areas (for Surrey at least). Riding along 128th st, through all the warehouses that are turned into strip malls, past row upon row of houses with huge yards, you'd wonder how anyone ever walked less than 15 minutes to a bus stop.

Here in Kerrisdale I'm 1.5 blocks from the 41/43 which can have me at the Canada line in like 8 minutes, or up to UBC in 20. The 480 can bring me to Richmond if I need to go. I'm also 1 block from the 16 (now running every 12 minutes) which can bring me to Broadway for the 99/9/17, or all the way downtown. I don't even bother checking the schedule for the 41 and I never wait more than 5 minutes during the day for it. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to all of my shopping, and even if I lived in a less accessible neighbourhood, I still would have the ability to walk no more than 4 CITY blocks to a bus line that could bring me wherever I needed to go.

Contrast that to when i visit my parents where I grew up in Surrey. I can't walk to any grocery stores really. Yeah there are a few, but they're more like convenience stores that sell some vegetables. I can't even take a bus to the nearest grocery store (Save-On), and have to ride the bus 15 minutes in the opposite direction to get to the Safeway. That is, when the bus eventually comes (remember, 30 minutes between buses). The Save-On is fundamentally unwalkable. The parking lot itself takes several minutes to traverse as it is in a strip mall. Walking from the front door of the Save-On to the business kitty-corner to it would be about a 10 minute trip.

Everything is much more spaced out in Surrey too. It is 800m to go 8 blocks in Vancouver (41st to 49th). There is a bus line on 41st and one on 49th. You are no farther than 400m from a bus route. In Surrey, going from 92nd ave to 96th ave is also 800m but it's 4 blocks as opposed to 8 (yes yes, 93a avenue etc etc). The next major road from 96th is 88th which is 1.6km away. 1 mile between major streets means low density and low ridership. Low ridership means 30 minutes between buses. 30 minutes between buses means low ridership...

No no, let them leave! Seriously!

Repeat after me....

"South of fraser WOULD do better managing transit the way it wants".

Which for all we know means no matter transit or transit taxes.

Who cares once they are seperate, it's their mess to figure out.

Find a car and pay six bucks in tolls when you want to visit the parents.....

No no, let them leave! Seriously!

Repeat after me....

"South of fraser WOULD do better managing transit the way it wants".

Which for all we know means no matter transit or transit taxes.

Who cares once they are seperate, it's their mess to figure out.

Find a car and pay six bucks in tolls when you want to visit the parents.....

Oh we have a car. The wife uses it for work but only because she has too much stuff to carry back and forth. I'm on transit when I have to go out.

$6 for a visit out there wouldn't be bad actually.. still cheaper than 2x round trip 3-zone fares, even on the weekend.

Oh we have a car. The wife uses it for work but only because she has too much stuff to carry back and forth. I'm on transit when I have to go out.

$6 for a visit out there wouldn't be bad actually.. still cheaper than 2x round trip 3-zone fares, even on the weekend.

And north fraser would have so much more money for transit that we could built out to UBC, Maple Ridge, etc.

Once we have that built we make a deal with south transit that in exchange for us running the skytrain (and keeping the fares) they will run a bus from somwhere in southland to our transit exanchange in Maple Ridge over the Golden Ears (which we will split the revenue on of course).

3 bucks a day from every trip accoss the putello, massey tunnel, and Alex Fraser? Yes thank you! (And hey, they can collect 3 bucks too for the return trip, no need to be douches :lol: )

For the record the plan in Inane's link also includes Richmond which would mean the Massey Tunnel would be on the SOF side and technically speaking Anacis Island is in Delta which is where the actual Alex Fraser Bridge lands, again SOF. And as I believe L.B. pointed out if the North wants to play dirty the South could charge for any goods coming through the 99, 91 etc to/from the USA.

Might want to tone down the excitement considering these revelations :lol:

My mistake...must have mis-read second article... it didn't include Richmond (though it could given the river splits around it making it both North and South of Fraser)

Otherwise the other points still stand and again if the situation get snippy the South could toll the Bridge to the Massey over Deas Island :lol:

For the record the plan in Inane's link also includes Richmond which would mean the Massey Tunnel would be on the SOF side and technically speaking Anacis Island is in Delta which is where the actual Alex Fraser Bridge lands, again SOF. And as I believe L.B. pointed out if the North wants to play dirty the South could charge for any goods coming through the 99, 91 etc to/from the USA.

Might want to tone down the excitement considering these revelations :lol:

I would let Richmond decide which one it wants to go with but if they rebel and go to the south then we just use the north fraser as the screenline instead. No big woop.

Given that richmonds part of the rav line and theres quite a few connectors, I don't see richmond joining the surdel group.

You are aware of the trains that have gone to Surrey MUCH longer than the Richmond line has existed...right?

Got a ticket today for failure to present proof of payment at the new west skytrain today and the cop told me I could have the fine reduced since its my first offence. Does anyone know where I can do this? I read the back of the ticket all it talks about it a dispute of it, but I'm not wanting to dispute it.

You are aware of the trains that have gone to Surrey MUCH longer than the Richmond line has existed...right?

Yes. I'm also aware that there's more people-linkages between Richmond-Vancouver than Richmond-SurDel and thus, it'll make more sense to incorporate Richmond into Translink than "alternate Translink"

Got a ticket today for failure to present proof of payment at the new west skytrain today and the cop told me I could have the fine reduced since its my first offence. Does anyone know where I can do this? I read the back of the ticket all it talks about it a dispute of it, but I'm not wanting to dispute it.

http://bru.vcn.bc.ca/uploads/images/61/Justice_Info_sheet.pdf

HOW DO I DISPUTE THE TICKET?

You can dispute in person or by mail.

In person: Take a copy of the ticket in person to any of the following locations:

• An ICBC driver licensing office (Vancouver: 2750 Commercial Drive, 232 - 4820 Kingsway, 800 Hornby Street)

• Provincial Court Registry (Vancouver: Law Courts, 800 Smithe Street, 222 Main Street)

• See ICBC’s website for other locations

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_fines_pen_ticket_dispute.asp

By mail:

Send a copy of the front of your ticket with a cover letter to:

Ticket Dispute Processing, Bag #3510, Victoria, BC V8W 3P7

The letter must state:

- Whether you’re disputing the allegation (offence) or the amount of the fine

- The violation ticket number and date (on the ticket)

- Your full name, address, driver’s licence number and birthdate

- The act and section number of the offence (this is on the back of your ticket)

The letter must be postmarked within 30 calendar days from the date you received it.