The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Too much east west duplication down hastings. The express bus is fine, but it should be upgraded to bus only lanes.

Ditto your branches in Surrey. They should in fact be transit only lanes, with the southbound one going all the way to Whiterock.

I would extend the Surrey one though down an fraser highway ish route with some jogs to hit regional centres along the way, but it should go all the way to Willowbrook mall via Cloverdale. An option though would be to go east as you show to Guildford, south down 152nd and then down Fraser Hwy.

The line to UBC is a no brainer although the actual design past Blance should probably be under West 8th.

The line to the North Shore should probably go right under the existing causeway and be part of some sort of roadway upgrade. Once you get in the vecinity of Park Royal a right turn is needed to get to londsdale. Also, I would see it as a continuation of the RAV line and options to actually make it go the long way and connect in with the west end should be considered. Alternatively, the looped around RAV could simply terminate at some spot near the beach and a second Seabus terminal to access points west of the Lions gate (can't schedule ferries under the Lion's gate).

And the Everygreen line should continue east over the river into Maple ridge. You would then run express buses from Willowbrook to Maple Ridge over the Golden ears bridge to loop the ends.

The Hastings line was chosen because Hastings is a very heavily travelled unserved corridor, second only to Central Broadway. There should be enough Van North, Eastern North Van, North Burnaby and SFU traffic to justify it. Since it is so close to the city core, you can expect a bunch of close, near parallel lines converging upon it.

The Surrey Line was chosen to go down King George to hook up with the Interurban line at Newton for possible future connections with commuter rail or LRT. The Guildford branch was to reach out to Highway 1 traffic.

Could we ever demolish or make radical modifications to the historical and landmark Lions Gate Bridge? And why would we run it all the way to Lonsdale, when they already have the Seabus? The way I chose the route was to swing through just the western tip of North Van, to pick up passengers at the Capilano Base, and then into West Van to serve its residents and Sea-to-Sky transfers.

No sense in extending the Evergreen over to Maple Ridge, unless you want to fill in all the farmland along the way with sprawl. The Poco branch was intended to reach out to them at Coast Meridian.

The Hastings line was chosen because Hastings is a very heavily travelled unserved corridor, second only to Central Broadway. There should be enough Van North, Eastern North Van, North Burnaby and SFU traffic to justify it. Since it is so close to the city core, you can expect a bunch of close, near parallel lines converging upon it.

The Surrey Line was chosen to go down King George to hook up with the Interurban line at Newton for possible future connections with commuter rail or LRT. The Guildford branch was to reach out to Highway 1 traffic.

Could we ever demolish or make radical modifications to the historical and landmark Lions Gate Bridge? And why would we run it all the way to Lonsdale, when they already have the Seabus? The way I chose the route was to swing through just the western tip of North Van, to pick up passengers at the Capilano Base, and then into West Van to serve its residents and Sea-to-Sky transfers.

No sense in extending the Evergreen over to Maple Ridge, unless you want to fill in all the farmland along the way with sprawl. The Poco branch was intended to reach out to them at Coast Meridian.

I am sure Hastings is underserved, but there are already two east west metro lines through Burnaby. I am sure a decent cost benefit number would arise from such a line, but as shown it's a stub with no real terminus. Not saying it shouldn't have transit improvements, in fact it "might" even qualify as a light rail line as it wouldn't be slowing down vast numbers of cars or xing pedestrians, especially if it was built one block north of hastings. Even then though, that money would probably be better spent elsewhere, and express buses would easily handle any and all capacity for the forseeable future.

To be honest Surrey is such a mess that there are a million and one options and there are many ways of getting there. But the terminal (willbrook mall via colerdale) would be critical imo. Cloverdale so that if you built a WCE type service out to Chilliwack (let's call it the interurban) it would provice a jump off point to transit, and there is plenty of room at Willowbrook mall to build a giant donkey park and ride facility to serve the car culture of the area.

Yes you could modify the historical and landmark Lion's Gate Bridge. You just do it in the same archectual style. Besides, it would inevitably be done in a stacked formation so over all it wouldn't look much different. I suppose that just getting to Park Royal would be enough. That said, I doubt the north shore ever wants or needs to see mass transit. Now, if the lions gate bridge had three lanes each way so that one could be an HOV bus lane, well, that would make the bus trip a hell of a lot faster. But even that's a pipe dream.

As for the Maple Ridge comment, I hate to tell you, but a ton of people already live out that way. As evedience I present to you the TWO new bridges being built to service all the vehicles coming too and from there. Also, once your over the river, besides being able to end the WCE trains a hell of a lot earlier along the way from mission, you could feasibly for example just use those trains to provide the rush service, and run buses every half hour or so during the week and on the hour on the weekend, and it's then feasible to take transit all the way out to mission. (And if you had an interurban doing the same thing out to cloverdale during the peeks, you run express buses from Willowbrook out to Abottsford and yes even chilliwack).

I am sure Hastings is underserved, but there are already two east west metro lines through Burnaby. I am sure a decent cost benefit number would arise from such a line, but as shown it's a stub with no real terminus. Not saying it shouldn't have transit improvements, in fact it "might" even qualify as a light rail line as it wouldn't be slowing down vast numbers of cars or xing pedestrians, especially if it was built one block north of hastings. Even then though, that money would probably be better spent elsewhere, and express buses would easily handle any and all capacity for the forseeable future.

To be honest Surrey is such a mess that there are a million and one options and there are many ways of getting there. But the terminal (willbrook mall via colerdale) would be critical imo. Cloverdale so that if you built a WCE type service out to Chilliwack (let's call it the interurban) it would provice a jump off point to transit, and there is plenty of room at Willowbrook mall to build a giant donkey park and ride facility to serve the car culture of the area.

Yes you could modify the historical and landmark Lion's Gate Bridge. You just do it in the same archectual style. Besides, it would inevitably be done in a stacked formation so over all it wouldn't look much different. I suppose that just getting to Park Royal would be enough. That said, I doubt the north shore ever wants or needs to see mass transit. Now, if the lions gate bridge had three lanes each way so that one could be an HOV bus lane, well, that would make the bus trip a hell of a lot faster. But even that's a pipe dream.

As for the Maple Ridge comment, I hate to tell you, but a ton of people already live out that way. As evedience I present to you the TWO new bridges being built to service all the vehicles coming too and from there. Also, once your over the river, besides being able to end the WCE trains a hell of a lot earlier along the way from mission, you could feasibly for example just use those trains to provide the rush service, and run buses every half hour or so during the week and on the hour on the weekend, and it's then feasible to take transit all the way out to mission. (And if you had an interurban doing the same thing out to cloverdale during the peeks, you run express buses from Willowbrook out to Abottsford and yes even chilliwack).

You can think of this Hastings "stub" as an extension of the already existing Skytrain line that bends around Waterfront to face back east--one that could serve well at that--be it to Cassiar, Willingdon or the foot of Burnaby Mountain, depending on demand.

I'd prefer the transfer point for Valley commuters to be in Newton. There's too much of a rural gap between Cloverdale and the rest of Surrey that I would not want to see infilled by a frequent stopping system like Skytrain. Same goes for Pitt Meadows, which is mostly open farmland until you get to the eastern end bordering Maple Ridge.

How much more terrible gridlock on the Lions Gate Bridge will the North Shore residents be willing to endure, before accepting mass transit? And how will you ever double the lanes on the causeway without raising a crapstorm with Stanley Park conservationists? Wouldn't the bridge have to be rebuilt from scratch if they were to make such big changes to it, such as a double deck?

North Shore resident here. For fairness I live in the east side of North Van. I they were to build mass transit to the North Shore I would like to see it tunnel under the harbor to Lonsdale Quay. It would probably be more expensive but I don't see the ridership levels from Park Royal to downtown enough to justify a line.

North Shore resident here. For fairness I live in the east side of North Van. I they were to build mass transit to the North Shore I would like to see it tunnel under the harbor to Lonsdale Quay. It would probably be more expensive but I don't see the ridership levels from Park Royal to downtown enough to justify a line.

I also see tunnel, but I don't see Translink coughing up (or be able to cough up) the cash needed for something of this magnitude.

You guys posted way too much for me to read today....i will say this though: building SkyTrain/rapid transit in the North Shore will be excruciatingly difficult because of the rich and senile types of NIMBY's there, but I can assure you that it would be incredibly difficult to build it to West Vancouver. You'll have better odds with North Vancouver. I recall the West Vancouver mayor saying how their city built social housing....turns out that social housing was in NORTH VANCOUVER, out of their jurisdiction. West Vancouver was also vehemently opposed to Capilano Suspension Bridge's tourist attraction expansion plans.

Anyhow, some pretty pictures of Olympic Village Station:

2958.jpg

2957.jpg

2956.jpg

2955.jpg

2954.jpg

2953.jpg

2952.jpg

2951.jpg

2950.jpg

2949.jpg

2948.jpg

You guys posted way too much for me to read today....i will say this though: building SkyTrain/rapid transit in the North Shore will be excruciatingly difficult because of the rich and senile types of NIMBY's there, but I can assure you that it would be incredibly difficult to build it to West Vancouver. You'll have better odds with North Vancouver. I recall the West Vancouver mayor saying how their city built social housing....turns out that social housing was in NORTH VANCOUVER, out of their jurisdiction. West Vancouver was also vehemently opposed to Capilano Suspension Bridge's tourist attraction expansion plans.

Will not even Amblesiders, who live in highrises, welcome Skytrain to their area? Sure beats the hell out of driving through the Lion's Gate bottleneck, doesn't it?

I would have considered bending that Skytrain line towards North Van instead, but didn't think they'd want to lose their Seabus for it.

Nitro, how dare you miss this piece of news:

New SeaBus almost in service

New SeaBus almost in service

Christened at Victoria Shipyards, Friday

Jim Goddard VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) | Friday, July 24th, 2009 9:20 pm

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The third SeaBus is a step closer to going into service, after being christened the MV Burrard Pacific Breeze at Victoria Shipyards, Friday.

Christening honours went to Maureen Hayes, the longest serving female crewmember aboard SeaBus. She's been with them since 1983. The Pacific Breeze will join her sister ships Burrard Beaver and Burrard Otter in service in December. After the Olympics, the older SeaBuses will take turns being pulled out of service for technical upgrades. With all three ships running, passenger capacity will go up 50 per cent.

Newest SeaBus officially christened

Newest SeaBus officially christened

In a ceremony with links to maritime traditions and the earliest days of SeaBus, the MV Burrard Pacific Breeze was officially christened today at Victoria Shipyards in Esquimalt, BC.

Maureen Hayes, the longest-serving female employee of SeaBus, performed the honours. She was joined by North Vancouver MP Andrew Saxton, the Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Treasury Board and Sheri Plewes, TransLink vice-president, Capital Management and Engineering. Also on hand were North Vancouver City Mayor Darrell Mussatto, Stan Sierpina, Vice-President, Customer Service, Coast Mountain Bus Co., and Malcolm Barker, Vice-President and General Manager of Victoria Shipyards.

Not only does Ms Hayes’ SeaBus service date back to 1983, but her husband, Stephen Hayes, was one of the original SeaBus employees, and rode the vessel to Vancouver from Victoria prior to its beginning service in 1977.

“It is an honour to be celebrating this event, which is so important in the life of any ship,” says Ms Hayes. “This is for all my hard-working colleagues at SeaBus and the people at Victoria Shipyards who have made this happen.”

“The people of Metro Vancouver can be justifiably proud of the way their tax dollars are being invested here,” says Ms Plewes. “SeaBus has become not only a vital commuter link in its 32-year history, but it’s generally the only transit mode where ridership actually increases in the summertime because tourists and locals alike love that trip. It’s definitely one of the keys to the livability of the region.”

“Through the Gas Tax Fund, we are providing real financial support to British Columbia for projects like transit, green energy, and water treatment,” says MP Saxton. “This new SeaBus will cut commute times, ease traffic congestion and result in cleaner air, improving the quality of life for residents of Vancouver and North Vancouver.”

The Government of Canada contributed $5 million of the project’s $25 million cost through the Gas Tax Fund. The federal Gas Tax Fund is a tripartite agreement between Canada, British Columbia and the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM) delivering infrastructure funding to local governments for capital projects that lead to cleaner air, cleaner water or reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

“This is yet another example of our government’s commitment to improving public transportation in Metro Vancouver,” says Shirley Bond, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. The provincial government also contributed $5 million to the project cost as part of the $14 billion Provincial Transportation Plan announced in January 2008. “The introduction of the MV Burrard Pacific Breeze SeaBus will help meet the needs of growing North Shore communities, while supporting the Provincial Transit Plan to double transit ridership provincewide and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.”

"Building vessels on the southern tip of Vancouver Island has a long history and this is the 41st vessel built at Victoria Shipyards,” said Malcolm Barker. “We have an excellent working relationship with the TransLink and the Coast Mountain Bus Project Teams and continue to work together to construct the best vessel possible. Most important of all, I would like to thank all the engineers, purchasers, production, project and support staff, and last but not least, the workforce. Without everyone working together, we would not be here today."

At 33.5 metres long and almost 12 metres wide, the MV Burrard Pacific Breeze will carry up to 400 passengers and will go into service in time for the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Burrard Pacific Breeze will go into service in December 2009, to allow time to train the crew on the new technology and configuration of the wheelhouse.

After the Games, the other two vessels – the Burrard Otter and Burrard Beaver – will take turns going into drydock for re-fits, to be brought into line with the MV Burrard Pacific Breeze’s technology. In 2011, it is expected that all three will be available for service during peak periods, thereby increasing capacity by 50 per cent.

Victoria Shipyards is part of the Washington Marine Group and a subsidiary of Seaspan International. Using the Esquimalt Graving Dock, owned and operated by Public Works and Government Services of Canada, Victoria Shipyards can drydock and repair vessels up to 100,000 DWT. VicShip’s work includes construction, conversion, maintenance and repair; recent new construction projects include an eight vessel series of Orca class training vessels for the Canadian Navy, and 24 – 47’ Motor Life Boats for the Canadian Coast Guard.

^^^ :D :D :D

It can't launch soon enough. As i've said before, SeaBus every ten minutes + Canada Line = No more driving to the airport for me.

Now if someone would just build a long-term parking lot at Lonsdale Quay.

Anyhow, some pretty pictures of Olympic Village Station:

2958.jpg

2957.jpg

2956.jpg

2955.jpg

2954.jpg

2953.jpg

2952.jpg

2951.jpg

2950.jpg

2949.jpg

2948.jpg

OMG that looks brutal icon8.gif

It looks like they used the minimum amount of money needed to build the skytrain stations. I like the millennium design better than Canada line.

Will not even Amblesiders, who live in highrises, welcome Skytrain to their area? Sure beats the hell out of driving through the Lion's Gate bottleneck, doesn't it?

I would have considered bending that Skytrain line towards North Van instead, but didn't think they'd want to lose their Seabus for it.

They definitely will welcome it, but the loudest people will be the [filthy :P ] rich and senile NIMBY's along the mountain slope, even if they will be living some ways from the stations. I assure you they will gang up together and form an angry mob just like what happened for a recent condo development in Lonsdale....you had senile and rich NIMBY's claming how density was bad for the environment, that the local development plan was being violated....it was just a very nasty and ugly mob rule. There was even one guy that referred it as a CN Tower in his backyard.

You absolutely have no idea how backward, irrational, and selfish these people are.

What is with those cheap, expo 86 style seats? They look so brutal!

They're certainly ugly....but i believe it's so that people don't hang around the area for too long and it prevents the homeless from sleeping on them.

^^^ :D :D :D

It can't launch soon enough. As i've said before, SeaBus every ten minutes + Canada Line = No more driving to the airport for me.

Now if someone would just build a long-term parking lot at Lonsdale Quay.

I believe the original plan was to put one of the two other older ferries out of service one at a time to refit and renovate them in time for the Olympics, and that there would be a boat every 10-mins by then. Not sure if that's still the plan, as it seems a bit tight.

OMG that looks brutal icon8.gif

It looks like they used the minimum amount of money needed to build the skytrain stations. I like the millennium design better than Canada line.

On the bright side, the stations (except the platform lengths) are quite spacious and airy (particularly the downtown stations, Olympic Village, and Broadway) and the station layout is quite well thought out. With that said, it seems like they did cheap out on some aesthetics and especially on signage.

Does anyone know if the Broadway Station only have the one entrance/exit on the southeast corner of Broadway and Cambie? I remembered reading something about there being an entrance/exit in the Crossroads building but haven't seen anything there yet.