The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

^ lol a wink usually infers to being smug or self-righteous. You didn't put a wink, rather a smiley.

There was a lot of media attention with the Burrard Street Bridge closure. It simply scared everyone away. Same goes for the ridiculous Critical Mass protest, people simply avoided downtown altogether.

Yep!

Any time a hear how reducing capacity reduces traffic I remember how. Like this weekend. Why go downtown and get stuck when I can stay home and drink beer there? Never has there been a more ideal weekend to encourage me to stay at home. Friday critical mass Saturday Fireworks Sunday Gay pride parade? Yikes! Avoid like the plague!

^ so, it would've been equivalent to building the Canada Line along Arbutus or building the Canada Line down Cambie as a street level LRT line that crosses traffic intersections and there's no station at Oakridge?

Hmm...but even Arbutus has SOME commercial areas on 41st and Broadway.

Hmm...but even Arbutus has SOME commercial areas on 41st and Broadway.

Some, but not significant at all...nevermind not being numerous.

Cambie

- city hall

- Central Broadway employment centre

- VGH/medical campus

- Oakridge mall

- Langara College

- located in the centre of the city

- potential for increased density to add ridership

- shorter route thus shorter travel times

Arbutus

- western tip of Central Broadway

- Kerrisdale retail strip and its slightly denser neighbourhood

- fat chance for major increased density

- way out in the westside, having the transit backbone there means the eastside folks aren't so lucky

- longer route thus longer travel times

But Arbutus is ideal for LRT/streetcar to complement a regional transit backbone/Canada Line....and to relief of the Canada Line of some of its ridership when it's overcapacity and capacity increases are limited.

Hey nitronuts,

Almost all of the Chinese senior population in Vancouver cannot read or speak English. How will Translink tell them that the 98 B-Line bus service will ceast to exist 22 days after the Canada Line opens? We won't want a dozen Chinese elderly standing on the corner of 49th and Granville on what used to be the former site of a 98 bus stop. Sometimes I think Translink needs to better inform the immigrant community of any big changes.

Hey nitronuts,

Almost all of the Chinese senior population in Vancouver cannot read or speak English. How will Translink tell them that the 98 B-Line bus service will ceast to exist 22 days after the Canada Line opens? We won't want a dozen Chinese elderly standing on the corner of 49th and Granville on what used to be the former site of a 98 bus stop. Sometimes I think Translink needs to better inform the immigrant community of any big changes.

When in Rome (Canada), do as the Romans (Canadians) do. (Speak English.)

That's a preparation they should have taken prior to immigrating.

Hey nitronuts,

If you live in Canada, you should speak basic enough english to know the B-Line is dead

Hey nitronuts,

You know, they DO cover this kind of stuff in the Chinese newspapers...

(Just for laughs, the other day I heard an elderly Chinese woman expressing her outrage that Canadian labels have French on them -- "Come on, we're in CANADA. The labels shouldn't have French on them. Sheesh.")

Edited by BuckyHermit

Hey nitronuts,

lol, they should have some basic English skills....but i don't think it would be a problem, the Chinese seniors are quite resourceful with Chinese radio, Fairchild TV news, and Chinese newspapers reporting this kind of thing. I noticed a rather high turnout of Chinese seniors for the Canada Line's station open houses, and it has been because it was advertised really well to the Chinese community.

If not, I'm sure they'll notice something is wrong after the canceled buses don't show up after an hour. :lol:

You know, they DO cover this kind of stuff in the Chinese newspapers...

(Just for laughs, the other day I heard an elderly Chinese woman expressing her outrage that Canadian labels have French on them -- "Come on, we're in CANADA. The labels shouldn't have French on them. Sheesh.")

lol, well to be fair French use is virtually non-existent in this part of Canada. I balk at Quebec language fascists that want VANOC to make their operations and the Games more bilingual, including installing all 3,000 or so Olympic signs with a bilingual translation. They even complained about how the lit "Richmond Olympic Oval" sign at the oval doesn't include a French version below it. And now, Richmond is contemplating adding a useless French name to the sign for $$$$.

Economics is completely thrown out for the sake of I HAVE NO BLOODY IDEA.

Has anyone noticed all the Chinese signage at YVR that has been installed over the last 3 years? :D

Hey nitronuts,

Somehow, I think the ethnic communities are already ahead of this. There's been posters along #3 Rd and ads in the Ming Pao telling people about the new changes, and how the 410 service won't be disrupted.

ZING.

lol, well to be fair French use is virtually non-existent in this part of Canada. I balk at Quebec language fascists that want VANOC to make their operations and the Games more bilingual, including installing all 3,000 or so Olympic signs with a bilingual translation. They even complained about how the lit "Richmond Olympic Oval" sign at the oval doesn't include a French version below it. And now, Richmond is contemplating adding a useless French name to the sign for $$$$.

What's their stance on Quebec's language laws?

Has anyone noticed all the Chinese signage at YVR that has been installed over the last 3 years? :D

To be fair, I do think that Olympic venues should have French, but completely different reasons that have nothing to do with the Quebecois. French is one of the official languages of the Olympic Games, and it seems reasonable for Olympic-specific facilities (such as the oval) to have French.

So do I agree with the French-language demands? Yes. But do I agree with the Quebecois' reasons? No.

I'll take french signs over Chinese since french really is an official language, not just an adopted one.

I don't have any problem with posting as many languages as will fit on signs around the airport. I know I'd be thankful even for roman characters if I flew to China.

Edited by Mr.Noodles

I don't have any problem with posting as many languages as will fit on signs around the airport. I know I'd be thankful even for roman characters if I flew to China.

Yeah, only in Canada (ok probably the US too) is the argument for fewer languages on signs and life in general made. Multi-lingual societies are where it's at people, join the rest of the world!

Review lets Liberals dodge transit decisions

By Craig McInnes, Vancouver Sun

August 5, 2009

The provincial government is calling on one of the oldest dodges in the book to cope with the bad news coming out of TransLink and BC Ferries.

Rather than face up to the tough choices that are going to be made to keep the entities set up by their own government operating in the black, Transportation Minister Shirley Bond and Finance Minister Colin Hansen have asked the comptroller-general to conduct a wide-ranging review of both organizations based on the notion that if only they were better managed, they could build new transit lines, float more boats and keep the buses running without any increases in fares, taxes or tolls.

Premier Gordon Campbell reinforced the message last week, saying that TransLink needs to get its own house in order before looking for any new revenue from taxpayers.

"I think that before people start talking about tax increases, they should start talking about savings in their own organization," Campbell said, without pointing to anything specific that should be done.

TransLink says it is $450 million short of what it needs to continue operating through 2011 based on its current obligations and the provincially backed plan to build the long-promised Evergreen rapid transit line.

It has proposed two new controversial revenue measures that have previously been rejected by the province and which would require the approval of the legislature, an annual $122 levy on vehicles and putting tolls on existing bridges.

It has been only two years since then transportation minister Kevin Falcon blew up the old TransLink and put in a professional board of directors.

The premise then was the same as it is now: If we had competent managers, we would be able to deliver all the goodies we have been promising and you, the long-suffering taxpayer, wouldn't have to pay any more.

Then the new board came up with the same, unpalatable solutions offered by the old bunch, laying out a choice between finding more revenue by raising taxes, tolls and fares or cutting back on existing services and expansion plans.

The management at BC Ferries has a different set of problems but similar, politically unpalatable choices. The recession has led to a sharp drop in traffic, exacerbating existing losses on smaller routes. According to the ferry commission annual report released Friday, ferries on the 18 minor routes were only one-third full from January to March.

BC Ferries is required to maintain service levels on those routes regardless of demand, under its contract with the provincial government.

To stay on course, BC Ferries will have to continue to raise fares, which puts heat on the government, as would the other alternative, cutting services.

But what was Bond focusing on last week? The salary paid to senior executives, which she found "shocking."

If she is really shocked, she hasn't been paying attention. She was in cabinet when BC Ferries was reconstituted as a quasi-private company. It's no surprise that executive compensation would therefore be based on private-sector comparators (92 companies were looked at by Hewitt Associates, according to the public filing last week) rather than executives in the public sector.

Although the theme of pretending that better management, efficiency and eliminating waste is a viable alternative to taking tough decisions is routine for opposition politicians, Campbell's government has at least introduced a new wrinkle.

This is the first time I recall when a government has turned on its own offspring to deflect attention away from hard realities. Sooner or later, however, the tough choices will still have to be made. The win-win of something for nothing exists only in the never-never land of political pipe dreams.

cmcinnes@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

so now we got 2 transit news tickers instead of 1?

Ummm, I don't know? Is this a competition? I just linked the news story that hadn't been previously linked.

Also because it describes how these 'experts' are more of the same, only way more expensive. Who doesn't love that? :)