The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

That transit plan makes me laugh now, especially considering Translink has to come up with $2.75 billion. They might not even be able to get $130 to keep the current system let alone $2.75 in 10 years. I will be surprised if half that plan is done by 2020.

Well, blame it on the province for giving Translink limited revenue sources.

Technically, $2.75-billion would be over 10 years from now till 2020.

One would have thought that it would have opened at the same time as the RAV line..... :rolleyes:

That at least would have been an alternative that would actually be more attractive to the 99 for reasons other than the 99 being congested.

They didn't want to commit the buses to new routes as they will need them to go wherever demand warrants them during the Olympics. After the Games, they will be heading to Surrey for the 399 B-Line.

Ugh. Possibly the one time I'm blessed to be in Poco regarding transit. Even though the 159 service is incredibly poor.

I still don't get why they don't have direct (ie. not through Mary Hill and that industrial area) service to Braid Station, at least during rush hours.

What's more, it's been three years since the David Avenue bridge opened, yet they still haven't rerouted any buses to make use of it.

Edited by Buggernut

Ugh. Possibly the one time I'm blessed to be in Poco regarding transit. Even though the 159 service is incredibly poor.

I think it pathetic they have hourly service in the evening and on Sundays on the 159. And what is with the 159 routing through the industrial area during the rush hour? Can not the 791 go through there instead?

I still don't get why they don't have direct (ie. not through Mary Hill and that industrial area) service to Braid Station, at least during rush hours.

What's more, it's been three years since the David Avenue bridge opened, yet they still haven't rerouted any buses to make use of it.

Maybe when the Coast Meridian overpass is complete then they might introduce a bus that goes all the way to David and over the connector? I have found that if you live north of Lougheed Highway and Guildford Way transit is horrible. It either not frequent enough or full during the peak hours but then we have those shuttles out here.

Edited by Vanuck14

Uhh...what alternative is there for those travelling between Richmond/S. Delta and Vancouver?

As for the #10, you have to cross the Fraser to get on it at Marine Dr. Station.

If you're in Richmond, there's always the 410 to 22nd St Station, the 405, 407 or 430. If you're in S Delta, there's the C76/311 to Scottsdale, and any number of buses that will take you to Scott Rd.

Granted, the C76/311 option will take you a hell of a lot longer to get downtown, but for all those complaining about it, there's two options: shut up and be thankful for it, or do something about it.

Well, blame it on the province for giving Translink limited revenue sources.

Technically, $2.75-billion would be over 10 years from now till 2020.

Money has always been the problem that's why we can't expand such as places like Shanghai (cheap labor is also a factor)

Money has always been the problem that's why we can't expand such as places like Shanghai (cheap labor is also a factor)

No kidding.

I think Beijing built like a 20-km airport express line from its new airport to downtown using our SkyTrain technology, by Bombardier, for just $200-million...excluding the cost of the trains.

And that massive Olympic Stadium cost just $400-million. Try building it here in Vancouver, and you'd probably still have trouble keeping it at $3-billion.

Edited by nitronuts

Translink new release:

It’s only a few days since Metro Vancouver’s transportation system became truly integrated around the Canada Line, but some observations made by TransLink personnel at key locations may help people determine the morning commute that’s right for them. Knowing when the heaviest times are at certain points of the system can help one either avoid travelling during those times or be prepared to face large crowds.

People transferring from Richmond and South of Fraser buses to Canada Line are dealing with the biggest changes. Trains are leaving Richmond-Brighouse Station virtually full during the morning commute, but alternating trains at Bridgeport Station arrive from YVR-Airport with very few passengers, so the people waiting at Bridgeport only have to wait one train before they can get on. That pattern appears to apply elsewhere along the line.

The “heaviest” times at various high-traffic locations around the transit system are:

* RICHMOND-BRIGHOUSE and BRIDGEPORT: 6:30-8am

* COMMERCIAL-BROADWAY: 7-8:30am

* PRODUCTION WAY: 8am-9am

* 99 B-LINE (to UBC from Commercial-Broadway): 7:30-9am

Adjusting one’s departure time by even a few minutes can make a big difference, and the increased frequency of the Richmond and South of Fraser buses can help make that happen.

We continue to encourage Canada Line customers who need to transfer to east-west buses to do so at stations other than Broadway-City Hall. Frequency has been increased on buses connecting with Oakridge-41st Ave (#41 & #43) and King Edward (#25 & #33), while Langara-49th Ave (#49) and Olympic Village (#84) also provide convenient alternatives.

There are also measures to deal with bus crowding. Some 99B-Line buses left Commercial-Broadway Station empty, to pick passengers from Clark Drive westward; buses that had been running eastbound not in service on Broadway “short-turned” at Main Street and went back into service westbound. The #480 UBC – the only Richmond bus that still runs into Vancouver – experienced very heavy loads today, as well, and shuttles were added to help ease those conditions.

The integration of services is proving to be a steep “learning curve”, and TransLink personnel in all areas are working with customers to make sure the process is as smooth as possible.

Fake building material imperils new Chinese railway

GEOFFREY YORK

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

July 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM EDT

BEIJING — Fake construction material is jeopardizing the safety of China's newest high-speed railway, a Chinese newspaper says.

An investigation by the newspaper found that large quantities of bogus material had been used in several hundred kilometres of a $12-billion (U.S.) high-speed railway between the cities of Wuhan and Guangzhou.

The newspaper, China Economic Times, said the scam by unscrupulous suppliers could lead to cracking in the railway's concrete supports, creating a “great danger” to the railway.

The newspaper report, published this week, has triggered an investigation by the Chinese Railways Ministry.

maglev_500.jpg

Passengers ride in a maglev train in 2006 in Shanghai, China. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

The report is the latest revelation in the widening scandal over shoddy and hazardous goods in China. The issue has emerged as a global concern, with many countries, including Canada, increasingly worried by the dangers of food and other products from China.

Almost 20 per cent of goods made in China for domestic consumption have failed China's own standards for safety or quality in the first half of this year, a government agency reported this week. The tests focused on food products, fertilizers, farm machinery and common consumer goods.

China has also announced that 180 food factories have been shut down in recent months because their products were contaminated with illegal materials such as formaldehyde, industrial dyes and paraffin wax.

Fake cellphone batteries are another lethal danger. This week, the Chinese media revealed that a number of counterfeit batteries have exploded in safety tests. A man was killed in western China last month when a cellphone exploded in his chest pocket while he was welding. The explosion broke his ribs, and rib fragments pierced his heart. The faulty battery was labelled Motorola, but it was reportedly a fake.

In the railway scam, the China Economic Times reported that the railway's contractors had been tricked into buying large quantities of fake or deficient coal fly ash, a common ingredient in concrete.

The newspaper described the suppliers as “profiteers blinded by greed.” It published several photos of trucks loaded with fake fly ash and factories where the material is produced.

It said the bogus material was discovered in March by a construction engineer, who noticed a blockage in a pipe where concrete was being poured. Such blockages are uncommon, and he suspected it was caused by phony fly ash. The fake material looks identical to the genuine material, and only laboratory testing can tell them apart.

The high-speed railway, designed to carry trains at speeds up to 350 kilometres an hour between two of China's biggest cities, is currently under construction. It is described as the longest and most technologically advanced high-speed railway in China, and it has been praised lavishly by the Chinese news media.

Faced with mounting evidence of hazardous goods, the Chinese authorities have reacted ambivalently. They have announced crackdowns and safety campaigns, but they have also reacted with denials and censorship.

Harsh penalties have been announced in some cases. Yesterday, a former drug regulator was given a death sentence for accepting $307,000 in bribes from two medical companies.

At the same time, however, China has attacked the foreign news coverage of the hazardous products. “I think it would be better if the media would stop playing up this issue,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said this week.

Last week, Chinese censors went through every issue of Time magazine sold in China to tear out and destroy the first two pages of an article headlined “The Growing Dangers of the China Trade.”

The daily propaganda newspaper China Daily accused “foreign protectionists” of using safety issues to discriminate against Chinese products. “Any bias against products with a ‘made in China' tag does injustice to Chinese exports' overall good quality,” it argued in an editorial this week.

I wonder what has happened so far on the investigation for that building collapse in China, the one that just fell over lol.

Edited by nitronuts

In 2008, there was a tunnel collapse during subway construction for the Olympics and it immediately killed several workers. The managers tried to cover it up, they didn't call for help and even took away the cellphones and radios from the workers. Police, fire, rescue, and paramedics were not called in until 8 hours later when a worker went home and called the police.

I've even heard of rumours that there's a dead body buried in the concrete at the Olympic Stadium. Nobody found out until days later from CCTV video, and millions dollars of work had already been done entombing the body.

Edited by nitronuts

Commuting the opposite direction of everyone else is fun. I recommend it. (Well, except for the 116 bus only coming every half hour, oh well)

Unfortunately for UBC students, there's no way for you guys to live west of UBC. I see that line every morning when I get off the bus at Broadway. Must suck.

In 2008, there was a tunnel collapse during subway construction for the Olympics and it immediately killed several workers. The managers tried to cover it up, they didn't call for help and even took away the cellphones and radios from the workers. Police, fire, rescue, and paramedics were not called in until 8 hours later when a worker went home and called the police.

They made the mistake of not ensuring that there were NO SURVIVORS.

Commuting the opposite direction of everyone else is fun. I recommend it. (Well, except for the 116 bus only coming every half hour, oh well)

Unfortunately for UBC students, there's no way for you guys to live west of UBC. I see that line every morning when I get off the bus at Broadway. Must suck.

I do that, sort of, every day. I live in Southeast Burnaby and travel to East Richmond. Transit wise, it's a 2 minute walk to skytrain, 2 minutes on skytrain and then one of those community shuttles dumps me and a couple coworkers off across the street from my workplace.