The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Frankly 60 bucks a year, or 16 centsish a day is worth every penny.

I don't disagree in the least, this will turn out to be a great investment. The rapid transit lines are easily the best bang for buck on the network and the more they expand the more useful and effecient it becomes (to a point that were not even close to yet).

That said why would the council of mayors stick their necks out for a tax increase? Their official comment to translink is along the lines of "What part of no don't you understand" so if they hold the ax I guarantee it's going to fall.

Quick question: Does anyone know the maximum size of an object that can be carried onto the bus?

I've got a leather office chair that I might need to transit with in the coming days.

I've heard a story of someone carrying something like that on the bus once.

Also saw someone carry a chair on the 99 B-Line from UBC Loop. Driver let him on first for safety reasons (so he can put the chair in a non-obstructive place).

So I guess you can give it a shot.

I've heard a story of someone carrying something like that on the bus once.

Also saw someone carry a chair on the 99 B-Line from UBC Loop. Driver let him on first for safety reasons (so he can put the chair in a non-obstructive place).

So I guess you can give it a shot.

Where was the "non-obstructive" place?

New connector bus gets rolling

Runs from Chilliwack, through Abbotsford and Burnaby

The wheels on a connector bus to Vancouver via Abbotsford will start going round this weekend as a local transit company begins a holiday test service it hopes to extend throughout the year.

Metro Porter will begin running buses between downtown Chilliwack, Abbotsford and Metrotown in Burnaby beginning Friday.

The service will leave Chilliwack at 9:30 a.m. to the Metrotown SkyTrain station and mall, via downtown Abbotsford.

A return bus will leave Metrotown at 6 p.m.

Metro Porter owner Steve Voteary hopes to gauge community interest in bus service between the Fraser Valley and Greater Vancouver.

If the demand is there, he would like to continue the service beyond the holidays.

Either way, Metro Porter also has plans for another test service--this one between Chilliwack and Abbotsford--after Christmas.

The service would see a weekend bus run between Chilliwack and Abbotsford every 45 minutes beginning on Jan. 8.

Buses would leave Chilliwack every 90 minutes starting 8 a.m.

The final bus would arrive back in town at 7:15 p.m.

Again Metro Porter will study demand and community interest in the bus and, if necessary, run buses during the week.

"The 90-minute service, I think, would be market-supported for a while," said Voteary.

"We may increase service by including more days of service.

"Right now for the test market period, we're doing what we can just to get the word out there softly, and see how people respond to it and then we can start to get some numbers to understand which [service] we should develop closer.

Guaranteed return tickets cost $25 if purchased in advance, or $30 from a driver. Service will run Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays leading up to Christmas (except Christmas Eve), along with buses on Dec. 22 and 23.

w For more information on the services, visit http://valley_transit.webs.com.

© Copyright © Abbotsford Times

This is quite exciting. I hope this all works out really well. I'll have the opportunity to go to UFV (Chilliwack trades school) or BCIT for my level 2 Carp.

This is quite exciting. I hope this all works out really well. I'll have the opportunity to go to UFV (Chilliwack trades school) or BCIT for my level 2 Carp.

I can get a trip to my parents place in Chilliwack on public transit now but at that price, I should just ask to borrow a friend's car or find someone to carpool with.

Edited by Pure Pwnage

Looks like the olympics all over again!!!!!!!!!!!! :towel:

Not really - the Olympics were much better organized than what we see in those 3 pics. Adequate numbers of staff to start with, max numbers of trains in operation, definitely not pole-to-pole and hole-to-hole on the platforms; there was still wiggle room.

Not really - the Olympics were much better organized than what we see in those 3 pics. Adequate numbers of staff to start with, max numbers of trains in operation, definitely not pole-to-pole and hole-to-hole on the platforms; there was still wiggle room.

And the lack of that wet white sticky stuff.