The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Canada line got painted ><

The above article is from Mingpao newspaper. (Chinese one ;) )

Canada line hasn't got any sponsors. Yet, some people have already gone to the skytrain to paint.

There should be electric wire at the station.

_02s1e.jpg

This skytrain is from the Lansdowne skytrain station.

Expect a lot more of this type of activity once the RAV line is in full operation. Major transit projects tend to lure crime into surrounding areas...

Real shame...I wonder how much it'll cost to clean that up. Fortunately, it won't come out of taxpayers pocket.

We really need much stricter vandalism laws and heavier punishments, such as a ton of community service.

9186richmondcanadalinegraffiti.jpg

WEB EXTRA: Canada Line vandalized on New Year's Eve

By Martin van den Hemel - Richmond Review

Published: December 31, 2008 10:00 PM

Updated: December 31, 2008 10:13 PM

This Canada Line train, stationed in front of Lansdowne Centre in Richmond, was tagged by graffiti some time on New Year's Eve. Martin van den Hemel photo

It's feared to become a magnet for crime, but the still unfinished $2 billion Canada Line has already drawn the attention of vandals.

Some time on New Year's Eve, a vandal made his way onto the elevated guideway in front of Lansdowne Centre, where a pair of grey two-car trains have been sitting idle.

One of them was tagged with graffiti, something quickly noticed by a nearby shopkeeper, who recorded the vandalism and uploaded it to YouTube.

The shopkeeper said the graffiti wasn't there on Tuesday, but appeared sometime overnight, either Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.

How exactly the vandal got onto the guideway isn't known.

But the pair of trains are parked next to the Lansdowne Centre station, which boasts an escalator and a staircase and might have been an easy target for a trespasser.

Edited by nitronuts

Parents: I know your little girl is cute, but when she has wet boots on due to the snow, don't let her stand on and crawl all over the seats. Nobody wants to sit in wet and muddy seats.

I was glaring today at a mother who was letting her daughter do this. And yes, she was Asian.

facepalm-idiots.jpg

Parents: I know your little girl is cute, but when she has wet boots on due to the snow, don't let her stand on and crawl all over the seats. Nobody wants to sit in wet and muddy seats.

I was glaring today at a mother who was letting her daughter do this. And yes, she was Asian.

Whereas if she was white, you'd just mention her as some random person and not get specific about her race.

Whereas if she was white, you'd just mention her as some random person and not get specific about her race.

You missed all the banter before about how the majority of transit idiocy we witness are committed by Asian females.

(And yes, I'm Asian as well, and even I can see that's often the case.)

The mainland transit system isn't too bad. I think, however, that new routes to the industrial sections of the region would be a significant improvement. When I lived down there, it was virtually impossible to get to any industrial area by public transport. There is alot of people without vehicles who would love to work and work hard. Sadly you can't get to the industrial section of the mainland unless you have a car.

You missed all the banter before about how the majority of transit idiocy we witness are committed by Asian females.

(And yes, I'm Asian as well, and even I can see that's often the case.)

It's still an uncalled for detail to dwell upon.

Canada line got painted ><

The above article is from Mingpao newspaper. (Chinese one ;) )

Canada line hasn't got any sponsors. Yet, some people have already gone to the skytrain to paint.

There should be electric wire at the station.

_02s1e.jpg

This skytrain is from the Lansdowne skytrain station.

This is why Translink should never leave the trains color-less because it encourages vandalism such as graffiti.

This is why Translink should never leave the trains color-less because it encourages vandalism such as graffiti.

Quite true. But the space where graffiti was sprayed on will be covered by advertising, as will the entire sides of the train (which is why they didn't bother painting it).

But you mean InTransitBC, right? ;)

They really shouldn't have left the train out there on the guideway at Lansdowne Station when the line isn't in operation yet.

I've noticed that the number 33 bus is being run from a variety of garages. I've seen buses from North Van, Vancouver, and Burnaby garages.

Some buses seem to have changed depots recently but haven't fixed the depot designation on the bus ID. There are still some Novas running from North Vancouver that still have a B designation, it seems. (And I'm not talking about some of the peak-hour 210 trips that really do come from the Burnaby depot.)

Just today, I saw a "V bus" leaving Surrey Central Station. I remember that some V buses seem to have transferred to Surrey depot this past fall.

Some buses seem to have changed depots recently but haven't fixed the depot designation on the bus ID. There are still some Novas running from North Vancouver that still have a B designation, it seems. (And I'm not talking about some of the peak-hour 210 trips that really do come from the Burnaby depot.)

Just today, I saw a "V bus" leaving Surrey Central Station. I remember that some V buses seem to have transferred to Surrey depot this past fall.

I believe there are differences between the various Novas between all of the depots; the North Van ones seem to have different seat covering and the rear door is not a push bar; it is press the door on the strip type.

Real shame...I wonder how much it'll cost to clean that up. Fortunately, it won't come out of taxpayers pocket.

We really need much stricter vandalism laws and heavier punishments, such as a ton of community service.

And who do you suggest we prosecute for these heinous crimes?

I believe there are differences between the various Novas between all of the depots; the North Van ones seem to have different seat covering and the rear door is not a push bar; it is press the door on the strip type.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if some of them also came from West Vancouver, because the NovaBuses in the Blue Bus system have those same quirks.

My dad's such an idiot sometimes. He was having an argument with me, saying that the transit system now is better than 10 years ago, especially for our area.

Let's see. For 9am classes this past semester, I left 20 minutes earlier than I normally did when I was in first year, when I had the same school start time. The reason was because the old departure time, which worked in first year, no longer got me there on time.

And with the opening of the Canada Line, that'll tack another 20 minutes to the commute due to the time needed to get from here to Richmond Centre (which I normally bypass via my peak hour bus route -- mentioned many times before in this thread). So I'd have to leave a full 40 minutes earlier than I did in my first year at UBC.

I fail to see how the system is therefore "better."

Unfortunately, I know so many people who have the same mindset, that everything is getting "better." It's those same people who watch the government TV ads boasting about BC being the "best place on earth" (ignoring this province's problems with poverty and unemployment) and immediately buy into them without a second thought. Unfortunately, that seems to be the same method that's often used by TransLink to boast about so-called transit "improvements." But that's another story for another time.

It's just stupid how some people would just buy into that sort of claim without experiencing things first-hand, and then blast anyone who does have first-hand experience, saying that person is wrong because some ad or publicity campaign told everyone that things are just cheery. In this case, my dad bought into the whole "our transit system is better than it ever was" stuff that TransLink seem to have fed him, despite never taking public transit.

Okay, that's my rant.